This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

General (non LFC chat) Football Chat.

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Dub13, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

If those figures are correct :eek:

Mane on less than Ox, half of what Salah is getting.

Shaqiri on more than Wijnaldum.

The two full backs earning only 40 and 50k a week. Wow

2. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

We’ll have to stick £100k onto Robbo and Trents the next time their contract is reviewed

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think a lot of our contracts are heavily bonus incentivised. Our wage bill was in the top 5 or 6 in the world the last couple of seasons which would suggest achieving specific targets means those players who look like they're earning relatively little will be taking home a lot more than that. I reckon it's to avoid having a CL wage bill with no CL football and getting in the top 4 means everybody earns enough to keep them happy.

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

We haven't had a public pay spat or a messy contract renewal in 3 or 4 years. When we win the players get paid as much as they would get at City or Madrid. Its a brilliant way to run any business.

babbsnads likes this.
  5. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

https://www.skysports.com/football/...phies-following-key-signings-says-andy-mitten

22 months later and the it looks like the Utd fans are finally thinking with their heads rather than their hearts when it comes to Ole. Mitten, Neville, Ferdinand and a host of former Utd players have backed OGS to the hilt when it was obvious to everybody on the outside he was haunted to be a manager in Norway nevermind at Man Utd.

6. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Timo Werner has been ruled out of Germany's international friendly against Turkey on Wednesday with a "slight cold".

Sterling also withdrew from England squad with an injury even though both played 90 minutes at the weekend without fuss.

Garrett likes this.
  7. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

What is the world coming to- rashford is getting an MBE because he asked for the Government to keep on giving free school meal vouchers! It's not like he donates part of his wages towards it !
    All the work less known people do with no recognition....

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Sorry but thats a woeful take.

There's hundreds of sportsmen with MBE's/OBE's etc. Most of them for being good at sports which is fine too. Personal feelings about the honours system aside,its good to recognise talent and high achievers. Marcus Rashford took on a campaign that made sure over a million kids weren't going hungry. He could score a thousand PL goals and a hat trick that wins England the world cup and it wouldn't come close to what he's achieved here. The question should be what's the world coming to that he had to do that. He was one of those kids.

And he gives a lot of his own money to charity.

GaryMc, bobby benitez, Dubfan and 4 others like this.
  9. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

I'd go as far to say that theres 100s of ordinary folk, that people never heard of, who also recieve honours for their work for the vunerable and in their community.
    Just coz a person is a cleb or in the limelight makes them an easy target to ridicule for no reason.

10. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

Rashford charity work is brilliant he deserves a standing ovation at every ground when fans are back. I seen this week he was the leagues most trolled player online.

11. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Yep well deserved and as an added bonus David Beckham will be going mad inside with the recognition Rashford is getting.

12. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Got media attention and got a campaign which he donated himself, to save children going hungry.
    If you can't see the bigger picture here mate I don't know.
    Full credit to Marcus and taking on a Tory government and winning. Long may he keep this in limelight so kids can get feed

Joedared likes this.
  13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Looks like the big clubs in the PL are trying to use the crisis to grab more power. Some good things in the proposal and I'm not sure the EFL clubs are in a position to turn it down but it will be bad for the game in the long run.

14. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I don't see how it gets the 14 votes to pass the PL own rules. An extra team will need to be relegated for 2 seasons and it will also be harder to come back up.

15. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Why?

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Because they're basially looking to trade money for power. The money will save the EFL now and some clubs will be prudent going forward,but history shows us in football that the more money available to clubs,the more many will risk to achieve their goals and get to the promised land of the PL where the big money is.

Not only that but the proposal makes it harder to get there making the risk even greater. The top 6 will also effectively control the decision making process for the PL and that's obviously going to lead to more decisions that benefit them. In a world where the deck is already stacked in their favour that has to be a bad thing and will make the PL less competitive. We know that they're unhappy that they don't get a bigger share of the TV revenue and with the money available in Europe and UEFA desperate to expand the CL,they'll definitely want a calendar that gives them the best chance of being as competitive as possible to keep that money rolling in. The one club,one vote system with a minimum of 14 votes required is a hindrance to them,Parry(who I believe is playing both sides) said as much yesterday when he asked why should Huddersfield have the same voting rights as Manchester United.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd imagine if they are to get the votes it will be by exploiting the financial situation of some of the smaller clubs. Some sort of sweetener might become very attractive in the not so distant future. How bad would things have to get before a cash injection to give certain clubs a better chance to maintain their PL status now becomes too good an offer to turn down? I think we might even be already there. A bird in the hand and all that. Hopefully I'm wrong and that's not the case.

18. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Yep I fully agree with the points made.

Do you not think this gives smaller clubs the resources/opportunity to be more sustainable long term and avoid a Bolton/Wigan like situation?

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yeah,I'd definitely agree it gives clubs an opportunity to be more sustainable long term, but every club had that opportunity at some point pre covid and the finances of dozens of clubs were still terrible. The environment of football doesn't promote financial prudence. Wigan and Bolton had multiple seasons in the PL, all the money that came with it and still ended up in the shit.

Clubs aren't going to stop throwing the kitchen sink at trying to get into the PL,or into the championship and more money in the EFL will just result in inflation in the market so clubs will have to spend more to keep up.It will also offer more incentive for sharks who don't care what happens to the club to get involved to make a quick buck. This proposal makes it harder to get in to the PL but also greatly reduces the parachute payment which again,incentivises risky financial behaviour. Spend big to get up,spend big to stay up and then get relegated without the safety net of huge parachute payments. Unless theres a big change in how clubs spending is regulated,in 5 years the EFL will be back where it was pre covid. There's an opportunity here to make those type of changes but how much appetite is their among owners? That's without the fact that they need money very soon just to keep the lights on.

20. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

You would think or at least hope that Covid make clubs a little more sensible with future finances but as you made the point above that is unlikely.

I have often wondered whether there is the possibility of a European Super league forming at some stage? If these proposals are rejected then I wonder is that the point when 'The Big 6' look at this idea with other larger clubs in Europe etc

babbsnads likes this.