This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GAA 2020

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bobby benitez, Jan 25, 2020.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

2. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Decent read that. Westmeath are sponsored by Renault no?

3. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

One day you'll actually post about a game:)

4. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Stranger things have happened, they will need to be at their very best for two games if they are to do it, its like the reds a small bit that their fans wouldn't really care once its won but the no fans in the ground for such occasions is a killer

Felt for the cavan and tipp people yesterday
    Watched the game yesterday with a very unhappy donegal mother in law

If dublin play as they can do and a team can beat them well fair play to them they will fully deserve the win.

5. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Whatever anybody says its clear they have a big advantage over the other 31 counties. Dublin fans wont care one jot tbough as they went through so many barren years and now they're winning it yearly so all's rosy in the garden

#145 LFCRebel, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  6. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Can't help but think Donegal had one eye on Dublin. You're mammy in law might have been the same pal

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I posted about a game yesterday pal. The Leinster final where Dublin won by 21 points that pushed that lad to write that. How is everybody involved with the GAA not embarrassed by that?

I think its in the main football has become a piss poor sport where skill takes a back seat to physicality,but I find the politics around it interesting. A description of the hopelessness players in other counties feel is 100 times more interesting than anything else that happens in the Leinster Championship these days. There will be somebody along at some stage to talk about the dedication in Dublin both from the players and volunteers at grass roots level which is a fair point. But its much easier to maintain that dedication among players and the participation rates among volunteers when they're not looking at the soul destroying reality many other counties are. The way Dublin GAA was losing out to other sports and the reason for the big overhaul, will become a huge problem in other counties. Even take it purely from the elite level,being a regular in the Dublin team can bring with it a lot of financial rewards as being a celebrity of any kind does. Thats extra motivation for a lot of players,which is nothing to be ashamed of by the way,no more than Dublin should have to apologise for the advantages that comes with simply being Dublin. But that lad had to buy a pair of togs out of his own pocket.

There will be people queueing up to show examples of how advantages Dublin have aren't or weren't advantages for other counties. They'll be wrong because advantages have to be used intelligently,something thevauthor gives Dublin huge credit for. He'll get attacked for this and somebody will write something in response. As long as it's not Roy Curtis,I'll be interested to read that too. I'll even post it up here mate:)

8. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

You weren't watching yesterdays games no? It's taken a pandemic for me to watch all inter county football this year and thoroughly enjoying it. There's been drama, a fair amount of physicality but just as much skill considering the conditions the players have had to play in. If you cant see that then fair enough mate but it does seem like you've more of an interest in discussions about off the field matters than on it. Which your completely entitled to of course.

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

The Dublin senior hurlers are obviously doing something wrong so, they can't win an argument. Same county, same finances, same sponsors, baffling.

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Kilkenny won 16 leinsters in 19 years, just saying like.

11. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Someone will be along to tell you you're wrong chief.

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'll happily admit I've far more interest in what goes on off the pitch than on it mate,but I've watched more than enough elite level Gaelic football to form the opinion that physicality is far more important than skill. Everything is relative though,and when I talk about skill levels I'm comparing it to other elite sports as opposed to standing out as elite in that sport. Willie's post above there above I think adds to my point. I don't know if Dublin GAA have put as much time and energy into hurling as it has football,but if it has then the fact hurling is a far more skillful game might be the answer to his question. At elite level its much easier to improve the physical attributes of players than it is to improve skill levels. Correct me if I'm wrong but Dublin are well known for being stronger than most other teams in the last quarter of games?

13. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually meant this as a reply to mick and not you

Am still half asleep

You know I was tongue firmly in cheek bud. The same stuff will be argued on both sides in fairness, if anyone thinks its solely down to money well then there is probably no point in engaging with them.

babbsnads and mushypea like this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd agree Gerry. It would be silly for anybody to say its solely down to money.

15. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Many do mick!

babbsnads likes this.
  16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

To be fair though John Connellan went out of his way to praise Dublin for the great work that was involved in making them so successful. And my point that probably came across as a bit patronising,was that showing an example of a team that hasn't made the most of its advantages,is not an argument that Dublin don't have big advantages.

Man U have spent more than Man City since Fergie left but nobody is going to argue that Citys financial advantages over most other teams hasn't been a huge factor in their success.

17. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Its down to the hard work in all the clubs in Dublin on the ground but with far better guidance on Coach Education in the county now. I've seen it first hand.

The blue wave strategy document published 4-5 years ago was a vision but you need to do the hard work to implement it.

I coach 3 different teams a week because I love doing what I do but I'm also coaching the coaches too which drives them on as they are hungry for information and want to get better. This increases standards across the county as there are many people like me doing this.

There was been a massive cultural shift in Dublin GAA too where loads more parents are getting involved. I'd have at least 12-15 parent coaches a night with me covering 60+ kids.

I've been involved in development squads for 10 years too and there is massive work going on across all counties and I can tell you now there is hardly any funding at the development squad level. You even find it hard to get pitches to train on.

Plus I would like to say there is no point saying counties have this and that if you can't get your own shop in order. Cork fell off a cliff at underage 10-12 years ago but Conor Counihan has taken the lead player development role and there underage teams over the last 3-4 have been ultra competitive. Loads of counties are realising this but it takes 8-10 years for the hard work at underage to come just like Tipperary.

People also need to remember this is the greatest team ever to play the game. We will never see the likes of some of these players again.

Everything goes in cycles. Its only a matter of time before other counties take over from Dublin. When Kerry start winning they won't stop.

I personally don't enjoy watching the no contest games. Yesterday was brilliant and it brought me back to my childhood in the 90s when Leinster was so competitive and going to all the away matches down the country when anyone could beat you

18. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I think we'll have to disagree on that mate about physicality and skill. Look no further than Ulster in the early noughties who brought physicality to a whole new level. Pure brutes and made no apologies for it. The rest of the country played catch up for awhile and but for Kerry who its fair to were still a team based on natural footballing ability then Cork and Mayo coming into the mix all followed Ulster teams set standards of physicality and fitness imo. Huge attributes in modern Gaelic football but not at the expense of skill. Physicality and fitness gets you very far but pinging points from left right and centre, breaking defensive lines with hand speed and skill wins matches and titles. This championship has seen a lot of that and but for covid might have been at an even better level.

That'd be my take on it anyway.

bobby benitez likes this.
  19. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I done a bit of work with the Meath County board and there is serous money going into developing facilities in the stadium and training academy. They acknowledge the work they're doing there won't produce results for 10 years (that was 3 or 4 years ago). As a county they must have doubled in population since they were last good so its there own fault they have been as poor as they have.

That letter from the West Meath lad is bleak but West Meath have no business competing against counties with vastly superior resources. They need to realign their aspirations, they should be competing for lesser competitions.

Gerry likes this.
  20. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Definitely agree with this. Meath are improving at underage and their new centre of excellence is a credit to them.

They are getting alot of ex players involved too which is very important when developing the underage players