This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GAA 2020

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bobby benitez, Jan 25, 2020.

1. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Okay so you didn't pick my point up so it's shed a bit of light if im honest. You riddled Honda's point about Dublins run of Leinster titles before the GAA injected steroids into Dublin. I'm being very presumptuous here but I reckon I know more about that run, how they were won and what it took to win them than you do as its coming across that you're not that arsed in the aspect of all things on field both now and historically. Off the bat you wrote that valid point off without any valid reason but to suit your argument. Cyclical in this instance is something that happens in every sport. Have a look at other province's historically and if you blank that off as whataboutery then that's on you.

You'll be at a loss every year mate and to this end I'll leave you to it.

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Anyone interested in a study on confirmation bias would do very well to have a good read through this thread, it's a textbook example of how things can be spun, quite often without intentionally doing so to suit something that they believe fundamentally to be true, when people are fans of something as opposed to mere bystanders the problem multiplies itself exponentially.

I would only ask Dublin fans to lay aside their very obvious county allegiances and consider the whole issue with less emotion attached to it. Forget what Kerry, Kilenny and even the Dublin Hurlers have been doing and ask yourself if you honestly feel that it is fair that the county which has the greatest benefit of it's population size, has logistics on their side in terms of training and players with work etc., already has structures in place which are the envy of every other county and should that same county receive the benefit of having a significant financial advantage given to them by the GAA also? If the answer is that yes they deserve it then fair enough but surely deep down everyone must realise that stacking the cards in the favour of one team is wholly unjust.

Also it's worth just dwelling on why people who are so certain that none of Dublin's success is financially driven are willing to consider any change in the funding model!!

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'll be at a loss because over sensitive Dublin fans can't acknowledge a plan that was designed to help them......helped them.

15 leinster championship wins out of 16 doesn't pass any reasonable sporting measure of cyclical when the gap is bigger now than it was when it started. How those titles were won doesn't change the relevance of any point I've made. I've not at any point challenged you or Honda on the work that went into winning those titles so its an argument about fundamentals in sport and basic logic....something I'm very comfortable debating you on but that you seem intent on avoiding.
    Your main argument is against points I'm not even making.

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Who has said this? I don't know Honda or Mushypea but if I was giving up night after night for no financial return and all you hear is its down to money then I'd be fairly pissed off.

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

If the plan was designed to solely to help the Dublin senior football team it has been a success no doubt.

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Consider then how pissed off you might be if you're doing all of the same thing in another county that has none of the advantages that Dublin has!

7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Who has said none of the success is down to finances?

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Dublin went 18 years without getting to a Leinster hurling final. Then from 2009 they were in 4 of the next 6. They've been in 8 of the last 9 minor finals. Just saying like:)

9. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

The plan was designed to encourage children to play GAA in Dublin as the numbers were falling so Yes it has been a success but your argument is shot when it comes to other counties not getting funding.

The Dublin coaching fund always looks larger as it is dispersed differently to the rest of the counties in Ireland. Other counties Games Promotions Officers are paid FULLY by the provincial Council which doesn't show in any the individual county boards accounts.

Dublin GPOs are paid half their wages by the DCB and the club needs to fundraise the rest.

On top of the plan from the GAA Dublin actually had a commercial and strategic plan in place which no other county board at the time had the foresight to implement. This is why the DCB has extra revenue streams etc..

All these advantages I would love to hear about? Come on list them out. You all seem to know it all but actually know nothing.

Lads have you ever considered that Dublin got its arse in gear and organised their coaching structures?

Other counties might be putting the same effort in but is it quality coaching? Thats the question I would be asking as I've seen it first hand.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

You made the same argument last year and I posted the details from the indo article laying out how the money was dispersed and how it was in no way proportionate. And the huge difference in the amount of GOP'S in Dublin compared to other counties. It basically made shite of your argument before you made a separate point with the instruction to me to "get my facts straight" without ever correcting one of the facts I presented to you,and then slinked off in a huff.

You coach GAA,fair play to you,you're a good citizen and a credit to your community,I genuinely mean that.. But you're not curing cancer so you can come down off your cross for 5 minutes. Nobody is attacking Dublin and I've said about 50 fucking times in this thread how impressive what they're doing is so what in the name of Jaysis are you arguing against?

And if you can't figure out the advantages the countries most populated,best funded(no matter how its funded)capital city has over every other county,then I suggest you read a few more of those management books.

11. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

By god you think you know it all. Fair play to you.

I love the bar stool hurlers

12. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The covid has delayed this talk

Normally happens alot earlier every year.

They just need too all become more physical as that's the key to the aul winning, and give them all cars too.

Personally I've never seen or heard a Dublin fan suggest that money/ investment has helped the county.

diceyreilly, babbsnads and Honda like this.
  13. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Nobody is attacking Dublin but it's success has an asterix beside it.

It's shit an giggles to you mate with the spoon each year and that's fine. From my view here on IK it's clear you love a good debate and to be proved right and seem very level headed and informed when your not offended. But spreading the gospel of Ewan to supporters who are bound to be sensitive about a subject in a sport they are invested in while looking in from the outside can come across as a bit arseholery. I genuinely wonder what the motive is other than shit's and giggles or that want to be proven right when really, only time will prove. I'll take a bet with you on the point of Dublin doing something wrong if they don't hoover up every trophy in the next decade or so.

babbsnads likes this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Us bar stool hurlers will be back. Its cyclical.

15. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I'm by no means a Dublin hurling fan, I've never been to a Dublin hurling game in my life but I'm pretty sure their recent success came under Anthony Daly who knows a thing or 2 about what it takes to win an all Ireland. I'd say the least the DCB expected when they appointed him was 1 Leinster, the league win was a bonus but everyone knows the champo is where it's at.

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I genuinely find the subject interesting mate and a player going to the trouble of sharing something like that was well worth a debate imo. I've never denied I can be a petty fucker when I feel I'm being talked down to and I'm aware that I can come across as an arsehole. In the spirit of reciprocity giving it the "Im more qualified to speak on this subject than you" style of posting has a similar vibe to it. If it wasn't you I apologise in advance,but did you not use that tactic in the Rugby thread before when you were offended by criticism of Ireland? I'm mainly stating facts here and then drawing very basic conclusions based on what I think is a decent understanding of common sporting fundamentals.

Do I like to be right? Of course I do but there's 2 types of people in the world,those who like to be right and liars. I don't think Dublins success has an asterisk beside it,every elite sport in the world is skewed unfairly in one way or another but I'm generally in favour of arresting that fact,even when it comes to Liverpool.

Dublin won't hoover up every trophy in the next decade but they'll hoover up enough to keep dominating and the days they lose big games will be off days. If I'm wrong, well it won't be the first time:)

mushypea likes this.
  17. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Hit me with the rugby point. I've a memory like sieve

Its not that I'm more qualified than you, its that I'm more emotionally invested on the other side of the arguement than you.

If you took it that way I apologise.

#197 mushypea, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    babbsnads likes this.
  18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Im not certain it was you, but it was something along the lines of people criticising Ireland for losing to Japan don't understand Rugby but this is something similar. Being more emotionally invested probably does mean you'd be more clued up on the finer points but then,like now, I'm not arguing the finer points. At least not in any way that I'd have to be emotionally invested to understand. On the other hand,and I'm no different to anybody else on this,being emotionally invested does cloud the debate. If I was making a point about how extra funding,their geographical location,and how success bred success for Chelsea post Abramavich,nobody on here would argue against it,and nobody would care how good their hurling team was:)

It wouldn't be an indictment on Chelsea,it wouldn't put an asterisk beside their achievements,it was just be an acknowledgement of very basic fundamentals in elite sport. If I said it to a group of Chelsea fans,then it would be a different story.

19. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Yes that was me post ireland japan game. I think I was pointing out how and why based on my limited knowledge of the game of rugby how japan went about winning that game and that more should be made of that, than criticising of our lads? I stand by that actually. Again if it came across as an I know more than you I apologise.

There's this thing about Dublin and I don't begrudge any one from outside making valid points to the arguments against their success, that makes me very precious about it.

As a teenager getting laughed at by Meath folk, I'm telling you something stank there while they won 8 in 15 le insters and nothing the previous 16, not Boylan being an excellent gaffer and a good bunch of lads. And then the Nordies breaking our hearts 3 on the bounce with missed pens and all the rest. Sam bacame Everest before 95 and an even bigger one before '11. Can you believe supporters including myself ran onto the pitch in 06 after winning Leinster? And fook me the drama of that 2011. The games v kerry this decade are the best I've ever witnessed. 2013 semi I'll take to my grave. Its making sure we let the players know how appreciative we are of what they have done and the memories they have given us. Genuinely, hand on heart id wear a fuckin mayo jersey if they were to play Cavan in the final. Picking up a sobbing mother and her son in green and red from the steps of the hill in 2017 was soul destroying. Imagine if they won it this year as pointed out by Gerry that's just cruel.

Its O'Byrne Cup matches freezing your bollox off just to find out who Tommy, Pillar, Pat etc were blooding in for summer runs and all the league games in between before they became sexy.

Enough of the romanticism I know because your well entitled to debate anything and everything here but you copy and paste that players valid letter with a smile wrote across the grenade. It is what it is bit nobody but time will prove anything on this.

babbsnads likes this.
  20. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

But you agree that all that extra funding has made a difference in them winning? :)

babbsnads and mushypea like this.