This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Transfer Rumours And Makey up stories (V2)

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Dub13, Apr 9, 2013.

1. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I see that Greek CB papadopolous who we were linked with a few yrs ago, 28 is a current free agent.

2. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

I can see some action we can’t go with current set up of 2 recognized CBs

3. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

Klopp not big into his stop gaps, would be surprised if he adds unless another injury...big ask for Matip and a lesser extent Gomez to remain fit though

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Define stop gap? Alisson for 6 weeks was never an option, 2 CB's for the season and one of them not Virgil is a different ball game. If we can get a recently retired Klavan type then we should do it, Matip is made of crisps.

5. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Ezequiel Garay

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ezequiel-garay/profil/spieler/35939

6. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I wonder would he have enough confidence to bring in Rhys William's. Big lack of experience though.,..
    There isnt a hope matip or Gomez wont be injured soon. Maybe even both of them at the same time:eek:
    Then what?- 2 midfielders at CB, hendo & fab ??!:(
    If we have have aspirations of a trophy this season we need to buy a CB in january & I would've said that whether VVD was injured or not..

7. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

Letting Lovren go and not replacing him was a big risk and a bad decision imo. It was highly likely Matip or Gomez would get injured. Injuries have happened and now our only fit CB is Gomez. 1 fit CB. :confused:

Garrett likes this.
  8. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I think it was blatently obvious that we needed to buy a capable and experienced CB, and said it serval times, coming into the last transfer window and during it - my posts and the response from a few on here, are all there to be viewed.

Buying a new CB should have been treated as a higher priority, if we'd limited funds to spend. It was a bad decision not to buy for this position and one that I really fear that we'll pay the price for.

#15928 Garrett, Oct 24, 2020 at 3:08 PM
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020 at 3:16 PM
  9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Which one of Thiago and Jota would you have sacrificed to buy a third or 4th choice CB? Because in reality that's what we're talking about,and when I say reality mate,that means Klopp rates Gomez far higher than you do so it would have been a 3rd or 4th choice CB coming in.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

To clarify,I'm not saying you'd be wrong to sacrifice one of those players for a CB,even before Van Dijk got injured. I wouldn't have,but its a perfectly reasonable position to take.

11. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

I know i’d rather have Thiago and Fabinho in the squad than Fab and some 3rd or 4th choice defender

12. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I'll put the mockers on him here but people need to realise Gomez does not break down. Broke his ankle v Burnley at Christmas 2018 and was poxed a couple of times early on in career but I see a fit and reliable defender.

13. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

He's stepped up really well last 3 games after a shaky start to the season.

I'd have liked if we had replaced Lovren but not a hope instead of Thiago or Jota. Van Dijk being injured is a huge blow and one that was unexpected given how bullet proof he's been for us.

I'd like if we signed a CB in January, mainly because Matip picks up a lot of injuries. The chances are though unless we sign one who turns out to be top class the new signing could be 4th choice next season.