This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Transfer Rumours And Makey up stories (V2)

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Dub13, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to start off. I think we should sign Samba,Granero and Fletcher.

Only joking Bobby:)

3. Sim Sala Bim

Sim Sala Bim
    Expand Collapse

When this thread reaches 2000 posts, we'll be back in the champions league... favourite this :)

4. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Lets hope so.

5. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

I hope so...but i cant see less than 2000 posts till nxt year with 2 transfer windows coming before then :)

6. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

the way we seem to speculate, I'd be surprised if theres not 2000 posts in this thread BEFORE the next transfer window opens.

7. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

True mate :D

8. Derekc

Derekc
    Expand Collapse

Liverpool believe they are in pole position to sign Ashley Williams from Swansea City this summer despite the prospect of a bidding war with Arsenal.

Arsenal, it can be revealed, had a £9m offer for the Wales captain rejected by the League Cup winners in January. They are expected to return with a higher bid at the end of the season as Arsène Wenger seeks an established leader for his central defence but Liverpool, despite the threat of failing to qualify for Europe next season, are confident of luring Williams to Anfield.

One factor is Brendan Rodgers, under whom Williams worked happily for two years at Swansea. The defender was also a boyhood Liverpool fan – John Barnes was his favourite player – and the Anfield club believe he would favour a move to Merseyside over Arsenal. Potential problems for Liverpool, however, are the defender's age and price-tag.

Williams turns 29 in August and Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool's owner, has pursued a youthful transfer policy since Rodgers became manager. Oussama Assaidi is the oldest player that Rodgers has signed as Liverpool manager, the Moroccan winger arriving days after his 24th birthday.

Swansea, as their stance with Arsenal in January demonstrated, will also hold out for more than £9m for their key defender. Rodgers may have to persuade FSG to part with closer to £12m for a player who does not fit their age profile but meets Liverpool's obvious need for an established defensive leader.

Liverpool could require three central defenders this summer with Jamie Carragher retiring, Sebastián Coates available for transfer and Martin Skrtel falling out of favour with Rodgers. A priority for the Liverpool manager is to land his key targets early.

"I think it's very important to get players in as quick as we possibly can," he said. "I think we will be in a much stronger place [than last summer] because we have much of the structure of the team already done so it's about sprinkling more quality into it and a bit more depth and I'm confident we can do that. Everyone is working very hard and everyone is in unison with what we are trying to do. I believe if we get some good work done early it helps start well at the start of next season."

Rodgers oversaw an underwhelming summer in the transfer market last year when his recruitment team of Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter – the head of recruitment and chief scout respectively – were placed on gardening leave by Manchester City, their former employers.

But he insists: "The recruitment team has regular meetings now to establish where we are in terms of the targets. There is a process we go through and there is still some work to do and I am confident we have a pattern of work, the players are there and it's about the availability and the players we can afford."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/11/liverpool-ashley-williams-swansea-city?CMP=twt_gu

9. petevans

petevans
    Expand Collapse

I don't think Williams is any better than Skrtel. And I don't understand why Skrtel fell out of favour so quickly, he was our best player for a long while a year or two ago so we know he's capable. Granted he was poor enough for a while this season but all players go through bad patches and with the season over he should be given to the end of the season to earn his place back.

10. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

If we sign Ashley Williams it will just show that we haven't learned from past mistakes.

Our general $hitness in the transfer market is the reason we have fallen from 80+ point title challengers to pretenders to finish in the top 6.

I thought that bringing in these 2 blokes from Man City was supposed to help us be smarter and wiser in the market.

11. miked

miked
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, a monkey could have been Man City head of recruitment for the last few years, all you got to do is find out who Mancini wants or pick one of the obvious talented players from any of the top divisions and pay them whatever they want.

12. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Please sign three Sami Hyypias Brendan.

13. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

I hope we don't sign ashley Williams for one reason. Too many of our fans have their minds made up on him already simply because he plays for swansea.

If we do sign him, I will judge him on his performances in a red shirt, not on the fact that he played for swansea previously or that joe allen hasn't had the season we hoped for

14. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree

15. Coolfran

Coolfran
    Expand Collapse

I actually think Williams would be decent for certain games where we tend to be a bit ‘soft’ (hate to use such a cliché). But if we pay £12 mill for him I will absolutely despair. I cant comprehend the idea of selling Skrtel and signing Williams (no doubt at a net loss).

16. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

If we sign that mong Williams. BR will need to answer some serious questions ,especially after his Europe comments yesterday. It smacks of acceptance that we are now Swansea. I'd rather Shawcross than Williams, you get the same effect, except he's younger and better. But still not good enough for LFC.

17. Derekc

Derekc
    Expand Collapse

I think people's concerns about signing Williams are valid.

Last summer 25 million was spent on Joe Allen (who i still think and hope will turn things around) and Borini who Rodgers knew from his time at Swansea.

Obviously extenuating circumstances with both through injury and loss of form but both have not been what could be considered a success this season.

Personally from what I’ve seen of Williams he is average to good. At 28/29 i don't see him improving much either.

If the quality of player is not available in England then we really need to be looking elsewhere to bring players in.

18. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

I'd personally just see as a signing that Rodgers knows and trust but at the same time a lazy signing
    On the City Scouts the don't fill me full of hope to be honest because City don't need scouts based in their signings recently but hopefully they surprise us .

But if their responsible for our jan signings then its a good start

19. No Name

No Name
    Expand Collapse

aye, that sums up my views on it too.

20. Anfield Old Boys

Anfield Old Boys
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Also, this seems to spell the end for Seb Coates who really has not been given a chance since his arrival. Paid 7 million for him interesting to see what we will get for him.

redtillidie likes this.