This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Jul 11, 2015.

1. thenewguy

thenewguy Well-Known Member

I know you're joking but Iceland to beat portugal is in there. not to mind that not everything else we'd need won't happen anyway.

friendlies for us in march an june it is going to be

2. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law Subscriber

[​IMG]

3. Shane_90

Shane_90 Formerly Fowler-9-

I think people would do well to remember that we are to all intents and purposes a bit shit.

Add to that we are broke, run by incompetents who took over from more corrupt incompetants we are about were we ought to be.

Some expecations need recallobating for the new manager.

Joedared, Gerry and bobby benitez like this.
  4. GaryMc

GaryMc Super Moderator

I honestly think anyone with any knowledge of football management would have done as good a job as Kenny. I was looking through the results in competitive games. The only competitive team we beat in a meaningful game was Scotland in 3 years.

the other teams he beat
    Andorra
    Azerbaijan
    Luxembourg
    Armenia (3-2 and they had 2 Sent off)
    Gibraltar *2

it’s not like he is going out there with a League of Ireland XI.

We have players on massive wages playing in the Premier League and top half of the championship. Quality is not what it was, however we have enough to getting better results than beating minnows.

Kenny seems like a nice guy however it’s been obvious for a long time that he wasn’t going to get anywhere, he should have been binned after the last campaign.

5. Shane_90

Shane_90 Formerly Fowler-9-

I don't disagree with that. I think he is the ideal man to follow, he has blooded youth, he has opened eyes to alternate approaches to football. I don't think possesion based suits us but genuinely I'd be calling Ole Solskjaer see if he is affordable becuase we are made for a counter attacking game, sit tight absorb pressure and pounce with pace.

Expectations are low, the squad is young, this is a good job it just cant be as polarising as Kenny was from the off. Across the history of football we qualify for 1 tournament in 20. Surely success is 1 in 3 or 4 for us now not demanding qualificiation for every tournament otherwise it gets counter productive.

I don't subscribe to a manager either being possesion based or long ball as I eluded to above I think we are ripe for counter attack. But please god don't get some dour Lennon, Bruce or Houghton type.

6. Crofty

Crofty Member

The list of potential replacements the bookies have is fair depressing.

The Greece game was the final nail for Kenny unfortunately. Not just the result but the performance. The first half was bad, second a disgrace. They looked like 11 strangers on the field with no shape or game plan. He'll be gone after the Dutch game you'd imagine.

7. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law Subscriber

Out of the list of names I've seen in the bookies, I'd go with Lee Carsley.

8. diceyreilly

diceyreilly Well-Known Member

Just thinking bout it now. Martin O’Neill got the bullet for finishing second in the WCQ group. Seeded 4th, and losing in a world cup play off ( which was a shit show but hardly sackable )

9. thenewguy

you make it sound harsher than it was. correct the play off was a shitshow but hardly sackable but he was there for 12 months after, beaten home and away by wales, hammered 4 1 in cardiff. very poor nations league showing with little or no signs of things picking up

10. Niall

Niall Well-Known Member

11. Niall

Niall Well-Known Member

12. thenewguy

anyone think we might be likely to play an away friendly in lithuania or latvia next year having recently hosted both ?

its just that i'm here trying to book a train ticket up for new zealand friendly, server unavailable it keeps telling me, not to worry i'll get it sorted tomorrow. but i'm not renewing the s t i expect tuesday week will be last dublin international til the nations league next september, an away friendly in either of those places would have me very tempted. I know for a while there 8 or 10 years back we played a few teams in home and away friendlies, england and hungary to name just 2, i can't say i've noticed much of that more recently though

13. mushypea

mushypea Well-Known Member

Are they that arrogant.... Or is it a wind up?

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02 Well-Known Member

I actually was talking to a chap in work who is admittedly a bit of a plonker and he kept saying sure he'll probably play for England like Grealish and Rice and despite my constant protestations that both of them were actually english unlike Evans who is Irish he seemed happy enough to think it's the same situation. Didn't actually know he was intelligible for England on top of that.

15. Niall

Niall Well-Known Member

16. Niall

Niall Well-Known Member

17. GaryMc

GaryMc Super Moderator

Went through Kenny’s competitive record today taking out the lowest ranked team in each group. His reign has been absolute shambles, We have fallen so far down the rankings, it’s going to take 10 Years to repair the damage done by Delanys last gift to Irish football. He has had at least 5-6 Premier League players in his squad since he has taken over. Most teams below the top 10 nations in Europe would love to have that many PL players, it’s been a shitshow.

I’d get a man in who will play to the teams strengths instead trying to play against them. Any decent competitive goals we got under him came from set pieces.

18. bobby benitez

bobby benitez Well-Known Member

What are our strengths?

19. shakav

shakav Well-Known Member

Taking players from the u21 setup

20. TrueRed92

TrueRed92 Well-Known Member

Hoof the ball to ferguson would be my guess. Well when ferguson is fit that is