This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Kids can't spread it.

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It's not even up for debate any more that kids can spread it,some of the latest studies say they're super spreaders and because children are far less likely than adults to show symptoms,the amount of children who set off the chain of transmission in a household is being underestimated.

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Bob. My bad.

6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I get it’s a tough job for those in charge but they are really making a balls of this. They set out a five phase plan but they are picking and choosing what elements to suit themselves. Dublin is Level 3 but different to rest of the country on level 3, but also the rest of the country is not really on level 3 Either. 3 other counties on level 4 But a lot of people working on those counties are from nearby northern counties and they have completely different rules.

Didn’t agree with it at the time but they would have been safer going to Level 5 for the whole country at the start of last week. At least it would be clear what the story is for everyone. See if the numbers go away down after 3 weeks, if they don’t it’s the schools that is spreading It and if that’s the case either close them or go back to level 2 and leave them open.

No confidence that the government really know what they are at. They diverged from the Medical advice and will now look to go in line with them again before Halloween. My prediction is level 5 Friday 23rd for whole country to account for bank holiday weekend and then Halloween the following weekend. They will stay at that for a few weeks, then reduce to level 3 for a while before going to level 5 again for run up and doing xmas.

It’s tough going for those living alone, however at this stage people need to prepare for prolonged lockdown until the new year. It’s just the way it’s going and think it will happen in most countries.

7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Just drove home from work, not a sinner out at just after midnight on a Wednesday, we're living in very strange times. Seen the lights from a plane over my head earlier, can't remember the last time I seen that, can't remember the last time I heard a plane.

8. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

It's almost an impossible task but bringing in the levels with clear definitions was a mistake if not followed.

North is causing massive issues but we can't try deal with them too as so much bullshit goes on up there to get anything done.

I think the opposite though, trying to squash down the numbers now as they know people won't obey over Christmas so need to get them down in advance.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I have an acceptance of an increased level of risk with schools and childcare, the country simply cannot function without this other than on a very short term basis so the focus is going to be on cutting everything else back to try and ensure that they can keep the education system functioning, it's so important for the kids to continue with their education so an increase in the risk seems justifiable but it's going to put a lot of pressure on other areas and people need to be so much more cautious around vulnerable relatives to try and keep them safe.

At present we're seeing a massive increase in cases but thankfully this is without the increase in deaths that we experienced first time round (when case levels were at the current level previously there was 50/60 deaths a day) but since mid June that number has held pretty constant at around 1 or 2 a day but it's hard to know if that is just lagging behind because of the time it takes from infection to death, improved ability to identify and treat the virus or if it's because measures taken to try and isolate the most vulnerable are holding up much better than they were during the first wave of the virus. The biggest problem that' we're facing is in managing hospital and ICU beds in the next few weeks, the HSE have said they are currently challenged but not at capacity but some hospitals are reaching their normal capacity already so will be heading back into emergency measures soon to free up additional capacity.

The Government probably need to take some measures soon that are going to stop people revolting against new restrictions and I think one of the biggest ones will be around people landing into Ireland from abroad, 360k in August and possibly higher in September, makes a mockery of me not being able to pop in to see the folks it we're opening the country up to such significant numbers from abroad. I understand the Government have to try something to project jobs but I feel that people are nearing breaking point with a lot of their restrictions now when most people have been adhering to the rules by and large.

bobby benitez likes this.
  10. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Respectfully, there is not a hope in hell of us going into level 5, coming out of it and going into level 5 again before Christmas. There's more chance of Trump becoming a decent human being than that happening.

11. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Any reasoning behind why Louth and Leitrim remain on level 3?

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The problem with keeping the schools open when it's clear they're a huge factor in rising cases,is that it makes it less likely that enough people will follow the other guidelines. Measures should reflect how the public is most likely to react,not how you want them to and if they think contradictory guidelines that just serve to confuse and anger people are going to get the job done,then they're deluded. It's only 10 O'Clock and already I've walked by a packed building site,a restaurant with people sitting together outside. I'll drive by a golf course later and see people playing,see a train packed with teenage schoolkids and yet I can't stand at the front of my mothers house and my missus can't keep earning because it would involve going into other houses. We'll follow the guidelines,many won't and I won't be judging anybody for it.

13. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Ed I would be in full agreement with all of that and that's why I'm so pissed off now. The first bit about education, its a no brainer but instead they lied to us, treated us like imbeciles saying kids don't spread. We can handle the truth, the risk goes up but its necessary as we can't keep kids off for an indefinite period.

Your last point about most people obiding by the rules is correct and what makes the above the indefensible. I'm at the stage were the levels are irrelevant to me, I will continue to do what I have for 6 months. I will try stay safe and responsible but if I want to see my family I will.

Edit: I will add seeing or hearing Michael Martin doesn't help. If you're from the generation hit worst by the economic collapse in 2008 having the same people in charge is nauseating.

edcarroll02 and red2005 like this.
  14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Just heard a report on the radio from cork university hospital, the doctor that was showing the reporter around sounded stressed out of her mind, very uncomfortable to listen to. If that was my daughter/sister/mother I'd be telling her to go home and mind herself.
    Anxiety and stress is doing and will do far more damage to far more people's health than covid ever will.

15. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

The question of how come a person can get their hair cut or styled in barbers or salons or a tattoo yet not be allowed to visit their parents/families etc was put to Martin last night. Really it isn't a valid one in my opinion and its the why this but not that mentality that shows up society as a sheep herd. If the barbers, salons and tattoo shops all adhere to whats required to make it a controlled environment then that's the difference really. If, as they say the amount of cases arising from household transmission is true then household visits are in environments that aren't controlled.

If salons barbers etc don't look to have a controlled environment then common sense says stay away. Do you really need a tattoo that bad? I get the anger and confusion of the goal posts being moved in between levels yet again but they have stated that alterations can and will be made. These levels are there as a road map by all accounts but it should always come down to basic common sense and that these guidelines need to be taken within the spirit of putting the health of ourselves and loved ones first. That all sounds very fine gael/fail i know but there is a big element of truth to this. I think keeping school's open are 2nd only to protecting the health care system and it's finding that balance given the fact both priorities work in total contradiction to each other that is going to be the challenge of this winter.

2 things mind, its a stain on this and countless previous governments that we are here first and foremost to protect a health care system that systematically has been failed by our politicians.

Thinking we should not visit our loved ones front gardens for a cuppa and catch-up shows a lack of the same commen sense approach I was on about. Madness.

#735 mushypea, Oct 15, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    Irishkop96 and Liverpool-law like this.
  16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Fine Gael not holding back here. Good to see the government being held to account.

17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

There's a coffee place I go to a few times a week down near where I work, very popular place, always a queue to get in to it. None of the staff wear masks, very few of the customers wear masks, regularly see gardai in there buying stuff and they're not wearing masks.
    If that's being replicated around the country I'm not surprised the cases are rising rapidly.

Garrett, Joedared and GaryMc like this.
  18. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Had to go Louth yesterday to pick up something the wife needed for her business. On M1, there was a massive amount of Garda at a checkpoint at junction before the toll. Didn’t check one car or van. I was glad as better than stuck in a tailback but what’s the point?

Joedared likes this.
  19. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Did they not ask you why you were leaving the county etc ? Just curious .

20. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Just watched a report on the 6 one news. The report was from Dud city centre. The place was packed. Far too many out an about. Some wearing masks. Some not wearing masks. Some wearing masks incorrectly.
    Its inevitable we are going to level 5. People think they are doing right things and following the guidelines.
    But there not