This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Its packed because the country is being drip fed speculation its about to close. My missus was shopping for Christmas online last night, I suspect those in town are doing the same because its been a ghost town for 6 months.

babbsnads likes this.
  2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The missus went to Blanchardstown yesterday too to get the kids dressed for Christmas. Said it was packed. Its like in England when they announce the pubs are closing on a certain day,people head out to get their last session in.

3. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

That may be the case. But in my view, its irresponsibile

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Maybe but I'd rather be irresponsible for 1 day out of 200 than have to explain to my kids on Christmas day that covid got santa.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough on the mask adherence but if people following the guidelines is irresponsible(shopping is still allowed in level 3,right?) then its irresponsibility from the government.

6. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Well I dont want to direct my comment to anyone. Just an observation. I highly doubt if all on henery street today wer gettin stuff for their kids for christmas. We have to wear masks in shops and retail centres. We should have to wear them in densely populated streets and thoroughfares.
    And there shud b a public info campaign on how to wear masks and why are we wearing them.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

They didn’t stop anyone

8. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

And therein lies the problem. The fact a percentage of the public need to be shown how to wear a mask correctly and more importantly why. Never ever doubt for one second the stupidity of people.

Joedared likes this.
  9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely correct on your final point. I read a story this morning about a chap that came back from abroad and didn't self isolate, had a sore throat for a few days and decided he was fine and went to a party. Within two weeks he had 59 direct cases attributed to him. Several of his contacts also stupidly attended parties, one who was concerned enough that they might have it to get tested but went out with friends while awaiting the results.

I don't think they have any hope of people adhering to the restrictions anymore particularly as deaths are still remaining so low but I've a bad feeling things may snowball in the next few weeks (it's still only the start of flu season), Dublin which had remained quite steady since level 3 was announced had a massive spike yesterday and that's almost a month since we increased to that level which is a bit alarming, I'd some hope that level 3 might be sufficient.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Which is why strong leadership,decisiveness and confidence in the health professionals making reccomendations is so important. We don't have any of those things and to blame the public for where we are is a cop out(not saying that's what you're doing by the way). We're at the stage where its like a manager buying the wrong players,playing the wrong tactics and then publicly undermining everybody else for not doing their jobs,turning the fans on the players. Will there be players who deserve criticism? Of course,but overall things couldn't have turned out any different way because of that manager. As George Carlin said,think how stupid the average person is,and then remember half of all people are more stupid than that. You govern based on reality,not based on how you think the world should be. Given how mixed the messaging has been and the amount of politicking going on,I'd say the level of adherence from the public has been extremely impressive. If the politicians had of been half as unselfish as the public,we might not be heading into level 4.43 today.

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully I'm wrong but I think if we're going to get a proper handle on it again,we'll have to close the schools.

12. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Kinda surprised they didn't do a 2-3 week midterm break here if upping the stages.

babbsnads likes this.
  13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

100%, for me it’s no coincidence that the cases have gone through the roof since them and colleges opened. In my opinion they would account for more than House parties, gaa matches, pubs and restaurants put together. In Italy the initial disaster was attributed to kids spreading it to their older relations.

It would be a massive decision to close the schools but until it’s done there is going to be a problem. Parents need to either drop them to school or send them on public transport, kids can’t social distance and hard to get them to follow rules. They should have gone with a 3 week mid term break and taken away the mid term in spring.

Everyday at Secondary School is basically a 200+ house party scenario all over the country.

babbsnads likes this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The data we're being given says that homes are where most of the infections occur. I'm assuming that most people who contract it in their home are being infected by people they live with,which would mean the infection chain had to have started outside the home. But its much harder to track and trace outside of the home,so of course the numbers of known contacts is going to be much higher in homes. I'm sure I'm missing something because that just seems too obvious a flaw in data that we're basing our response on.

bobby benitez likes this.
  15. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

100% madness not to. Surely a break of that length gives them data to go on by December which possibly means they could then make the call of whether to extend the Christmas school holidays or not

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The only reason that I can't see them closing the schools/childcare is that the economy basically has to stop completely if they're off and I really think they're going to close absolutely anything else that they can to ensure they keep the schools open (pending teachers not walking off the job). The knock on effects on everyone of those two sectors closing down is crazy, imagine the amount of doctors/nurses that start to run into problems if they close it. What's the end game on it if they close the schools now too, the whole education system will end up with a huge logjam pushing down the years depending on how long this goes on, the early talk of a vaccine seems to suggest kids will be way down the list of recipients either way. Finding sustainable ways to live with this has to be the ultimate goal, I would have thought an increase in the mid-term to two weeks seems like a reasonable starting point but Government seem unwilling to go with this or else they're playing their cards close to their chest.

I agree that it's impossible at this point to consider anything other than that school kids are driving this, not entirely of course but a large part of the contribution has to be related to it, I wonder would they consider a widescale anti-body test on kids be useful to see what levels of the virus have gone around.

17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I think we have reached the point were we need another election. This government is only in place because of the pandemic, with no obvious end in site its time to go again. Faith has been lost in this lot and generally it's impossible to get it back once you lose it.

18. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I don't doubt for one second the concerns on the lack of clarity and leadership from this government however I still think its just as much a cop out to blame a government about this second surge without taking personal responsibility as it is to for the government to blame the public.

The direction is there mate. Its all online, on the news from health officials etc. Level 3 hasn't worked. The virus is not under control which is a safer way of saying the virus is out if control. Pin pointing where and why is an absolutely valid discussion but not at the expense of focusing on personal responsibility. There's a lack of it out there that's a fact.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Its not about absolving people of personal responsibility mate,its about accepting reality and the reality is that the level of adherence we're getting after 8 months is extremely good,even without the behaviour from the government that could only make it more likely that people would stop following the guidelines. Leave a vacuum and people can fill it with all kinds of shit at a time when people are desperate to believe anything that makes them feel better, and expecting an unrealistic level of compliance can only end one way, in disappointment.

On the other hand,its perfectly reasonable to expect the government not to publicly attack the health professionals,or the Tainiste to be campaigning for the next election,the Taoiseach to stand up to him or the messaging to be clear,and the argument that the messaging has been clear was taken off life support yesterday when one of the government parties released a video criticising it. Level 3 could never work,yet we went there instead of the recommended level 5 anyway which was the government telling the country things weren't as serious as NPHET said they were. I'm amazed we're getting the level of adherence we are.

20. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I can't agree there. We've hit a stage in this pandemic where not adhering to NPHETS advice as the government had done since March up until today 2 weeks ago was bound to happen. NPHET give advice and recommendations based solely on the health of the public and it's right they should. For obvious economic reasons it's clear the government can't just adhere to NPHETS recommendations any longer although we wait for today's announcement. If you or some of the public took up the recommendations not being taken on board as the government telling you not to take the virus spread as serious then I don't know where to go from here.

#760 mushypea, Oct 19, 2020 at 12:58 PM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM