This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Just missed a work conference call because I thought today was Tuesday.

mushypea and Stevie S like this.
  2. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ha ha I was sure today was Tuesday also

3. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Was talking to me uncle went down all excited to get something from Aldi - got home raging when he realised it wasnt thursday haha

GaryMc likes this.
  4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Majority of Current test results are for people who had symptoms over two weeks ago. Folks who were referred around Paddy’s Day were tested last week and still have not got their results. I know one person who got tested last Monday 23rd and still no result, they were referred by Gp on 16th. They are now fully recovered so contact tracing them once they get the result will be a waste of time.

There will be some recent priority cases for likes of Health Workers that will be in the numbers but by and large we are looking at the results from over two weeks ago. I saw that 25% of positive cases have been health workers but again this is likely skewed as they are the ones that are getting the results quicker.

It good to see the data each day as it shows a direction but I wouldn’t pay that much significant into the test results, unfortunately it’s the amount of people that have died that tells the real story when comparing to Italy or China.:(

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

As you've said there's literally no point looking at the number of cases in truth Gary, every country is following a different methodology and will have massively skewed numbers. We started off in a position of testing a huge volume of people but we've gone in over our heads and now we're actually running very low on all of the equipment that we need to complete the testing. At the moment it's not the most important thing to be honest, contract tracing when we're in full lockdown won't serve any function as long as people are following the guidelines so prioritising those who need testing most has to be the focus.

The numbers that the HSE will be looking at most closely now will be the numbers being admitted to hospital with it and more critically those who are ending up in ICU. That surge into our healthcare system is what everyone is terrified of and we're just about coping at the moment but as each day passes and another 200 cases are confirmed it statistically means that another 20% are ending up requiring a hospital bed, often times for over 2 weeks and 5% are requiring an ICU bed of which we all know there are a very limited supply of. We're two weeks from the peak now which means a significant increase still to be expected so the only hope that I have is that we acted early enough and the peak when it does come doesn't cripple the healthcare system entirely, at the moment things feel okay but probably can't keep pace even with the current increases if it continued for another 2 weeks.

Very worryingly there was a massive spike in the UK today, really horrible to think that 583 people died there today, I know Italy is close, as is Spain but the UK is somewhere that I have a huge amount of friends and family living and it's horrible to think of what might happen there if things continue as they are.

GaryMc likes this.
  6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Have not been following the UK at all, had a quick look at Sky News, it’s mind boggling numbers.

7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

really good interview here if anyone is looking for something to listen to/watch later, listened to another podcast earlier that had the same guy on as a guest and he mentioned he was on joe rogan a few weeks ago. at that stage he was predicting close to 500k deaths in the states over the next 6 to 12 months. :eek:

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Just reading the average time between being infected and death is 23 days. On the 9th of March the UK's chief medical officer told people in his briefing that there was no need to avoid pubs or other crowded areas. They're seeing the results of that advice. I keep coming back to the guy I heard say that normally when countries decide to apply the measures they need to,they realise they're applying them measures two weeks too late. And they've still acted with more urgency than America so its terrifying to think how bad the fall out will be there. And now both governments have changed the purpose of their briefings from informing the public,to defending the strategy they've used,its a fucking disgrace. We haven't been perfect,it will probably emerge we've been very far from it but we have had leadership that is woefully lacking in both of those countries. Clear and concise messaging makes such a big difference and will save lives.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The dog ate one of the kids homework today. True story.

Brian Boru likes this.
  10. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Reading about the north. Really madness wats happening. The government well SF/dup blaming each other. One example was the first ICU patient with this virus. Michelle o Neil wanted bring patient to Dublin, dup wanted to send to best available hospital which was Newcastle.
    Then in article was about bringing British trops into build field hospitals and even Irish army if needs be , they claim Sinn fein wanted no British army involved.
    The government should be bloody United in this crisis to saving people.
    Another note I never knew Irish army helped out during the bad snow in the north

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/it-s-sinn-féin-against-the-rest-ni-executive-in-conflict-over-coronavirus-1.4218130?mode=amp

#250 Irishkop96, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  11. Carlsburger

Carlsburger
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

This is my fear for a National Unity Government in ROI. That it would just end up with politicians squabbling & point scoring - on all sides !

Irishkop96 likes this.
  12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I dont think you'll have to worry about a national unity government mate,FG and FF will use the pandemic to make sure they're back in power. Maybe they'll have the self awareness not to try and shame the smaller parties into supporting their coalition and try to convince them in an honest way,what with both of them refusing to talk to the party that got the most votes but I'll be surprised if somebody is not accused of putting party politics before the country before its sorted.

14. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Sick of political shite at this stage. But we have to remember that when election was over SF said they wouldn't want to go into power with ff or fg as they wanted change. And vise versa. 1 in 4 people voted SF hardly most votes. Plus look up north wats happening with them in power.
    We are in an once in lifetime pandemic (hopefully) rather than point score can we not just help each other get through this.

xRedmanLFCx and Carlsburger like this.
  15. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Is it true that ppe that was ordered loads was defective? God help our doctors and nurses. And there families if that's the case

16. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. 3/4 length stuff. Not worth a shite. And 200m quid down the jacks.
    Pascal says we will find a use for it.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm assuming you're not having a go at me for political point scoring since the post I replied to was a reply to your post about politics. We are in a once on a lifetime pandemic but FF and FG are playing politics with it. If they dont try and play the "put your country first" card to put pressure on smaller parties then I'll gladly give them credit but anybody using a pandemic to shut down criticism or scrutiny of any government is playing politics. You only have to see what failing to hold the government to account in the UK has led to,thousands of deaths both before and during this pandemic.

Sinn Fein did get more votes than any other party though,I think you may have misread my post.

Irishkop96 likes this.
  18. Tarabuses

Tarabuses
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Nothing like all the PPE is unsuitable, just gowns with short sleeves. We don't pay for what we can't use.

Joedared likes this.
  19. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

A few months back an appointment to see a consultant arrived. I left the room to inform her good lady self and came back to find the dog happily chewing the letter - had never eaten paper before!
    I had to ring he hospital to get another letter sent out and sheepishly explained to the secretary why and she went off in the hysterics, and proceeded to tell her buddy the story through much giggling. She says to me - you often read about it being used as an excuse for homework not done but this is a whole new level. She then thanked me for brightening up the whole day and promised to send a replacement. Said our goodbyes but could hear her as she went to hang up the phone "Janet.....youre not going to believe this one"

Often wonder exactly how much of the hospital was amused by my dogs eating habits

Irishkop96, red2005 and babbsnads like this.
  20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd be thinking twice during this lockdown if I was in the habit of doing illegal shit.Heading out to the train wash in Connolly today and got a message to be aware of Gardai on the line looking for two lads who'd tagged a train in Fairview. Sure enough there were two guards there with the station inspector. When I came back to the platform there were another twelve there and they were in contact with the police helicopter which was flying overhead(although I'm pretty sure they didn't scramble a chopper for graffiti shitbags). They were well gone though.