This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

For clarity,I'm not saying the government not following NPHETS recommendations was a sign people should stop treating it as seriously as the medical professionals say we should,I'm saying that the government ignoring it and then the Tainiste going on TV and saying those recommendations were wrong and poorly thought out meant thats how many people would take it. That's not me assuming mate,you only have to go on line or have a conversation with friends,neighbours or workmates to see that's the case. I had to leave a viber group to get away from a good friends mental theories. Every time there's any sign of a lack of cohesion these loons take it as a sign of some crazy plot to control us.

You're 100% correct when you say NPHETs job is to give medical advice and the governments job to weigh it up before acting,which would make you wonder how much it helps that message when the government briefing against NPHET,calling them dangerously political. You and I are capable of applying nuance and acting accordingly,we don't live in a world where that capability is anywhere near common enough,Trump and Brexit are perfect examples of that. You're perfectly entitled to criticise people for their lack of personal responsibility,but with all due respect,I don't think its rational to expect the type of adherence needed for level 3 to work with the way this government has handled the situation.

2. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

You don't have to pay due respect here. I suppose my views might come across as a little precious about the governments handling of the pandemic but I now see you've been paying more attention to government and ministers quotes and reactions to situations than I have so its only natural you'd have that opinion. On the whole and I suppose I'm giving the public far less credit than you are because as you've pointed its a little easier to lose faith in a trump/brexit world where by society can't be trusted. I've a feeling the truth and actions of the public behaving responsibly lies somewhere in between.

babbsnads likes this.
  3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I think we all know the type of people who aren't going to adhere to public guidance and I think we all know that fundamentally they would find some reason for their unwillingness to adhere to it. It's always going to be easy to just say "ah sure they're making it up as they go along" and just fire off and do whatever you want because that's what you want to do either way, I've seen people heading off to Spain for the week with the justification that sure it's just the same as being at home, it's not but they want to go on holidays and they're selfishly not willing to make sacrifices for a common good. And of course the Government are making it up as they go along, this is the first time anything like this has ever happened and most every country across the world has suffered massively because of it with constantly moving goalposts and new theories and findings emerging at every corner while trying to balance the public health with maintaining some semblance of an economy to build off if this thing ever passes. We're not helped at all by having a complicated Governance arrangement with three parties to weigh in on everything and all pursuing personal interests at the same time as running the country, same as the opposition are using this to politicise their own agenda's but that's just politics in a nutshell.

Throw in on top of that the lunatics who believe the whole thing is complete hoax and are spending their time trying to contravene every restriction and also trying to convince as many other people as possible to do the same thing and you've a very dangerous mix.

Liverpool-law and mushypea like this.
  4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Level 5.... surprised by that, thought they would go 4 first.

5. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

I hope a curfew is part of level 5.
    No way level 5 will work unless people stop meeting up in houses

6. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

I live beside dundrum, walked past Sat evening during the rain and queues of people outside waiting for tables, groups of similar aged people, so yeah need do something in addition to stop that shite.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Good to see the concept of a family bubble but still think that is confusing the way Martin put it across.
    Also what are the consequences if someone does not follow these ‘rules’.

I work with folks in Manila and there are checks everywhere, concept of a quarantine pass etc. Not saying I would Want that here but leaving schools open and no consequences for breaking rules, means it’s not really a lockdown.

Garrett likes this.
  8. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The language is still vague, it looks to me like most of this is still guidance or recommendation. Watching Claire Byrne hear, 10 people for funerals, 25 for weddings. This is the inconsistent bullshit I can't handle.

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Any sign of Mr Varadkar on CB tonight?
    Where is the geezer?

10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand why elite sports continues? Anyone know why it's elevated up to this level? They don't contribute anything unless it's just to entertain the masses.

That's bizarre if true about the numbers at weddings / funerals.

11. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Anything that can be done safely should be done. There isn't a reason to stop elite sport, the GAA and IRFU have the finances to fund regular testing.

Garrett likes this.
  12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Plus I think if there is a GAA on every week on free to air, it will help keep people occupied mentally. Something to build the weekend around.

I recall the last lockdown, once I think it was Golf first in the US, then Bundesliga, it changed things for me . Something to do with the time and something to look forward to. Occupies the mind mentally. Before that it was a family zoom quiz on a Saturday night that was the highlight of every week for two months.

bobby benitez likes this.
  13. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Gaa being elite is borderline given the amount of cases and gatherings related to club games, not like it's their full-time job. But guess lot country folk lose their shite if not on so can't stop it.

Garrett likes this.
  14. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

The most important GAA related is they allowed the school going kids training to continue. Massive for the mental health of the children and hardly any cases related to this either.

15. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone explain the change back to €350 on the PUP? If I'm a barman I'm wondering how much we are in this together? €350 when the whole country is shut in the Spring, €300 when it's just pubs and back to €350 when we're all in it together again.

16. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

What time is the announcement? Might be better to hold fire till then.

No doubt
    Serious case for back dating there in fairness

17. red2005

red2005
    Expand Collapse

€350 initially was done in emergency at the time, they then realized that some people part time, low pay contracts where getting more money on PUP than working so they tried fix this by changing the rates when we starting opening up. 3 levels earn up to €200 you got 203, up to €300 you got 250 and above €300 you got 300 the new rate of 350 is for those earning above 400. They didn't think they would have to go to level 5 again and would get away with it.

18. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

The fact they hadn't figured this out before the payment came in shows how incompetent they are.

red2005 likes this.
  19. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I don't like our government, I do think a lot of them are incompetent. But on that point, I don't actually think it's fair. I'd just chalk it up to an oversight. The entire world had to deal with a pandemic. There was a lot of moving parts. A lot easier just to issue blanket payments when you don't know how long it'll last and use resources elsewhere. Now with time to reflect, they've reacted and changed it. So I'd give them a on that piece.

20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

That's gone to 25 for funerals now too,!