This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

General (non LFC chat) Football Chat.

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Dub13, Sep 15, 2013.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The 2 lads not sacked are younger and more valuable. There can be no other reason.

2. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah that's what I am assuming

If that's the case it again makes a mockery of football clubs and their double standards

Cash is what matters to them all

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

They started it off pretty much the day after by releasing a statement condemning the actions of their club captain without a single reference to the others. They were trying to isolate him on the basis of the fact that he was the captain rather than the much more obvious which was that he was the only one injured and he was also the oldest and least valuable to them financially. I'd say his solicitors will have a field day with this one.

4. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Seems they wanted him to take a pay cut and he said no thanks. so with Keogh out for up to 14 months, and out of contract shortly there after suddenly his being in the back seat of the car was gross misconduct and grounds for sacking.
    Like Ed said. solicitors rubbing their hands at this one

5. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The fact he's in the back seat has to suggest there was a front seat passenger too and probably a front seat passenger in the other car. So out of a minimum of 5 people they single out him. In many ways I can understand them being pissed off with a lad old enough to know better allowing this happen but surely they have left themselves open to paying him more than they would have if they just let his contract run down.

The only logical reason I can think off, and maybe I've been reading too much of the indo, but maybe the idea behind this is to have insurance cover them when they inevitably lose in court.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I was going to say I'd be surprised if they didnt come to a settlement with him that allowed them to say he's been sacked for PR purposes rather than just paid up,but then I realised that anybody stupid enough to think this was a clever PR move would easily be stupid enough to leave themselves so open to being sued.

7. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

Would say so too. It'll cost them a lot more after this move & they'd deserve it

8. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Even if that were their thought process, very hard to see anybody willing to take the hit on the clubs behalf and have that follow you around for the rest of your life. In 5/10 years time the narrative remembered would be "oh yeah, Keogh...wasnt he the guy who crashed a car while drunk and got the sack...what a moron"

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Fair point.

10. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

For what its worth I think they have good grounds to terminate his contract and commented on here at the time that they would. I also don't think the other two players have anything to do with it. Club has contract with player A. Contract stipulates grounds on which club can terminate player A's contract. As long as those grounds exist, club can terminate. Players B and C are not parties to the contract.

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Any chance Derby can win the case on the grounds Keoghs reckless behaviour made him a financial liability that they shouldn't have to bare the burden of while at the same time not punish themselves financially by sacking the other two? I hope that's not the case but consequences often play a part in sentencing so Im wondering if legally they can work in Derbys favour here.

Edit-I hadn't seen the post above when I was asking this.

12. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Does the same rules not apply to employees of Tesco or Are Lingus? If 3 lads from Tesco all done something that breached their contract but they only fired one then he would not have grounds for discrimination or some sort? Time to play the Paddy card.

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad I caught this one because I was typing something similar and would have looked a right prick explaining again how I hadn't seen the post above:)

I reckon he'd have to have a good case under labour law. I've seen precedent used a few times in our place to reduce sanctions or even get lads their jobs back.

14. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Footballers contracts would generally be fairly bespoke whereas Tesco ones would be pretty much all the same I'd imagine. But if you take that line of reasoning, are you saying it would be ok if all three had their contracts terminated? Because they could still terminate the other two contracts if he took a case, would that then make it ok? I think there is privity of contract. I'd be pretty sure he's in breach of it because they would have strict bringing the club into disrepute and misconduct clauses. There would probably be grounds on the basis of being club captain in the sense of setting example for the others and being older, more experienced, more mature and having more responsibility to do what is right and lead by example.

15. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

noticed the Scottish prem league table in the paper earlier, stevie's doing a good job this season, closing the gap.

16. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Granted Keogh was the "senior pro", but the fact that Derby were willing to let him see out his contract on a much reduced rate seems to me that they werent terribly worried about his (lack of) example setting until he wanted his 24k a week until the end of his contract.
    The others involved seem far more culpable to me and theyve been fined 6 weeks wages. Hadnt realised that the other 3 had fled the scene and left Keogh unconscious in the crashed car, where paramedics found him. They "came to their senses" and returned 45 minutes later where they were arrested.
    While Keogh is certainly not blameless in the whole scenario - should have been a good little boy and gone home when the do ended in club laid on cars - honestly think he's been hung out to dry in a poorly thought out PR excercise by his club, while 3 others who commited actual crimes get a fine and community service.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure when it comes to gross misconduct the PFA have always insisted its club standards enforced across the board so I dont imagine Keogh will have anything in his contract that's not in everybody else's in relation to the conduct expected of him. I also think Derby would be mad to go down the morality route of claiming they expect more from the club captain. The fact he has been club captain for so long will be pointed to as testament of his professionalism up until that point and when the punishment for the lads who committed the much more serious offences,then legged it and left their mate unconscious is so paltry in relation to Keoghs,who's going to seriously believe they're taking a moral stance? I dont know if those other players disciplinary process has been completed(it sounds like it has)but if it has the club wont be able to sack them for this incident now,no matter what Keogh does.

18. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know if this is true or not but was told today that Richard Keogh would have not been injured in the crash if he was wearing a seatbelt.

19. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

My opinion is they all should have been sacked or at the very least all received the same fine. If any of them were to receive lesser punishment I would have thought the player that wasn't driving would be the one entitled to it, not the other way around.

elvis, GaryMc and Gerry like this.
  20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Here's one. Who would we say would be more deserving of being sacked. A passenger in the car of a drink driver that crashes, or an actual drink driver that doesn't crash but just gets caught?