This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Family Days out

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dub13, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes and I am passing them all off at home as my ideas.

2. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Ha, so am I now

Dub13 likes this.
  3. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

Been doing some more research, one of the twins is gone mad into the solar system and space, so I've been scoping out Armagh Planetarium and it looks good, they've a scale soar system outside and exhibitions, as well as a dome thing where they show films, which are beamed up on a dome for the stars and all. We were also going to do Slieve Gullion forest park last weekend, there's a giants lair and heaps for kids, which is south Armagh also.

Dub13 likes this.
  4. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Rob, this may be to far from Armagh to add into your itinerary, but I would give a massive recommendation to the Marble Arch caves, they are in Northern Ireland but the nearest town to where they are is Blacklion, Co. Cavan.

It's a great tour and completely different from the Ailwee Caves in Co. Clare as part of the trip through the caves is by boat.

http://www.marblearchcavesgeopark.com/

5. pam

pam
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I took the train to Kildare free bus meets train to go to irish stud and Japanese gardens,and fairy trail and then a little shopping in Kildare village when there is a nice kids park, the courtesy bus is great, and nice train journey for kids we all had a great day a very nice restaurant in Japanese gardens.

Shane_90, Dub13 and GaryMc like this.
  6. gradiovirgo

gradiovirgo
    Expand Collapse

If you going to Slieve Gullion forest park make sure you arrive no later than10-30am..gets very busy around that time and most of the parking slots taken..loads to do for the kids and great walks..if you're looking for food,Murphys in the local village is fine..Carrickdale Hotel is 5mins away and Fitzpatricks is 15mins away..anybody needs directions send me pm..enjoy South Armagh lovely part of the country and very friendly people.

stamullenredmen likes this.
  7. liver06

liver06
    Expand Collapse

Bandit country

8. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The Magazine Fort in the Phoenix Park is open for a few months to the public. Never been opened before. No link sorry but it's free.

9. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

10. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

We went to the Kildare maze yesterday, it was pretty decent now, we got there not long after 12 so it was grand but when we were going it was mental busy. Well worth a visit anyway

Dub13 likes this.
  11. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Anybody been to clara lara recently...? I was suprised to hear it was still going. May take the gang before they go back to school, there website is like something from 1998.

12. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Heading down to Cork for a few days going to do FOTA Wildlife and Trabolgan. Looking for something to do on Friday either in Cork or anywhere along the cork to Dublin route if anyone knows. Will report once I am back.

Imaginosity in Sanyford is brilliant, not exactly a day out as you get two hour slots but my little one loves it all the same. It is a museum for kids where it has everything tailored for kids such as cars, shopping centres, hospitals etc. Brutal that you have to pay for the adults in at €8 a pop mind. But I defo recommend it.
    http://www.imaginosity.ie

Malahide Castle is a great day out as well if you get the weather.

Fort Lucan is brilliant too if you get the weather.

Dub13 likes this.
  13. MR KING KENNY

MR KING KENNY
    Expand Collapse

Imaginosity is good but expensive, low low town is very good and half the price. It's not as good but the kids love it there.

14. munstershug

munstershug
    Expand Collapse

Shane, what age are the kids? We live in the area so here are a few tips...
    Good weather..stop in Rostellan and hire kayaks for a paddle about quiet east cork harbour&"invade" Aghada tower ruins.... Grab lunch or dinner in kid friendly Rosies Pub beside Aghada pier, or if kids under 10 the playground in Whitegate is decent. Aghada GAA pitch has great hurling wall and pitches and nearby Rostellan woods good for pleasant stroll.
    Inch beach for swimming or surfing... Very small. Wetsuits can be hired for tenner each.

Midleton farmers market Sat morning... A must-visit in good weather. Gorgeous hit chocolates or mochas or bread or pizza or fresh fish or... You get the message

Drive up close to huge wind turbines north of Aghada.

A mixed bag above depending on ages of kids but hopefully something interesting... Alan

pam, Shane_90 and Dub13 like this.
  15. munstershug

munstershug
    Expand Collapse

Also Fota house and gardens are free bar 3euro parking which you pay for the wildlife Park anyway. Better grub. Best option is being picnic to wildlife park or house gardens. Less busy than wildlife park.
    Cheetah feeding is at 4pm (check) in wildlife Park. If timing works the kids will enjoy it

Shane_90 likes this.
  16. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Some great tips there for fota area

Shane_90 likes this.
  17. Dzer2

Dzer2
    Expand Collapse

Having gone here yesterday I have to say well worth the money. We arrived at 9.30am left at 8.00pm done all the attractions
    some 3 and 4 times.

Wasn't overly busy wait times about 20 to 30 mins. Longest was for the spring trampolines in the little ones area.
    Might be a bit expensive for anyone not tall enough for all the rides but if Mammy is not into the bigger rides she might head off with the little one.

Loads of places for a picnic and I felt safe letting the kids off on some rides on their own while I relaxed on the side.

18. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Dub13 likes this.
  19. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Heard about this 5k family fun run with inflatable obstacles on at Marlay Park, Rathfarnham this weekend.
    https://www.wildairrun.com/events/dublin/
    Very pricey imo but almost fully booked so it's obviously popular.

20. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Went to Clara Lara yesterday with the kids, they loved it. I was surprised its still going.