This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Transfer Rumours And Makey up stories (V2)

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Dub13, Apr 9, 2013.

1. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

I'm not really too bothered if we let Lambert go. £5million even sees us making more than our money back.

It's not as if he's contributed a massive deal in his first few months & that was without Daniel Sturridge being fit where he'd have had plenty of opportunities.

2. Terry

Terry
    Expand Collapse
    LFC till the day I die and beyond!

I'd rather we sign nobody than throw good money away. Wait till the summer.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely.

I'd say there are ways and means of getting rid of players you don't want.... but obviously your right with regards the point about Borini (although I remain far from convinced he was told straight out what he should have been told, that he's not good enough and never will be).

I've posted separately about money, in respect of both Borini and 45. Ultimately, we fuked up when we signed them, so have to accept the financial loss when getting rid of these players. I suspect certain people at the club are reluctant to do this, for fear it may further highlight what serious mistakes they have made. It's probably easier to hide a poor player in a squad, then have to go to your boss and admit that you made a massive mistake and in order to cut the losses, you have to write off £16m you only spent a few months ago, for example.

Sure there is the romantic side to seeing Rickie out playing for us. But that aside, there are a couple of important considerations to bring up:

* He's scored more goals for us, then either Borini or 44, to the best of my knowledge (this is further magnified when you consider his goals -vs- time on the pitch for LFC).

* He offers something different and its important for us to have different types of gameplan, not just the same week in week out.

* He works far harder than 45 and in my view, clearly cares about how we do on the pitch. I remain far from convinced that 45 cares very much, if at all.

With only Borini, 45, Sturridge & Lambert to pick from, this is why I think we would be making a mistake to even consider selling Lambert without a better player to replace him coming in the same day.

#5663 Garrett, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Garrett here. Lambert is not a prolific goalscorer but given that Mario can't be bothered and Borini is only really good at dragging the opposition defense around the place (without actually scoring) I don't see the logic in selling Lambert. I guess it's simply getting one non-performing striker off the wage sheet and a couple of million in the bank so why not. It leaves us even more dependent on Sturridge though.

Really, the handling of the striker situation since Suarez left has been a mess and letting Lambert go (even if we turn a profit on him) is another odd decision. What will it take too to get Borini to accept he needs to find another club. He's clearly not wanted by BR.

5. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

It's not really going to make or break our season whether Rickie Lambert goes to Villa or stays put. He'll be gone in the summer anyway

6. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Have not looked at SSN tonight curious to know did LFC allow Sky to broadcast from inside club property as per there request?

7. NiallD

NiallD
    Expand Collapse

It not working out for him at Liverpool is tragic enough without the poor fella having to sign for Aston Villa.

Tail end of cups (hopefully) and shoulder to the wheel for 4th for the rest of the season he's unlikely to play much.

Would probably still hold onto him all the same and let him make his own mind up in the summer.

8. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yes they did Lionel. All clubs have allowed it. During the day, they even even showed Brendan's press conference at 2pm today.

9. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

Is it going to make or break our season if Sturridge gets injured is the bigger question for me ?

10. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

It's fair to say he's vital to this team and him staying fit will increase our chances greatly of finishing in those CL spots.

I'm not sure Rickie Lambert staying or going will affect us a great deal.

11. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Access to the presser is mandatory, Ron. So is some poor unfortunate reporter broadcasting from inside the gates of Melwood right now trying to dream up possible transfers based on Sky sources, cause if so he can't have to much to say tonight.

Sure, there was no harm in the dildos, the sex dolls, the fellows simulating shagging each other and the lunatic Crystal Palace ultra's.

Will give 5live a listen to later. It's all much more understated, who needs the hype?

12. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I disagree letting Lambert go imo would be a very silly move from a number of points of view firstly he was brought in as a plan b if teams have shout us down bring him on in the last 10/15min giving a different option, that option would be now gone. Also he only 5m getting rid is'nt going to overly strenghen us finacially but weaken us squad wise. If he were to go where would that leave our manager he's being sayin all day that there would be no outgoings yet what would Lambert leaving mean the managers word does'nt mean much when it comes to money, imo it would weaken he's hand in the boardroom. Overall this would be a bad move.

13. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho 2m2 minutes ago
    Rickie Lambert will definitely be staying at #LFC tonight. No move to Villa.

14. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Ye, I suppose you're right.

I think ultimately the club told him straight out that he can stay & be a bit part player or go to Villa & gave him the choice.

Staying put now anyway. Doesn't make a major difference really in the grand scheme of things.

15. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I would not have any insights to how those conversation go, but it does strike me Iano that you would not be great at the 'lifestyle coaching' job, players need their ego's boosted not deflated :D

Posted half way through the transfer window that I expected very little to happen in this window. Almost as soon as I said it there were a few Jose Enrique rumours. Actually a little bit surprised there was not more activity in relation to him during this window.

16. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Surely agreeing fees to sell him with two seperate clubs, and shipping him out on loan, and then not having him in match squads would be tantamount to saying exactly that though

Totally agree with you that in hindsight, we did indeed fuk up signing Mario. I admit I was one of the "this could be a master-stroke or a disaster" camp.
    I can only guess that it was a Mario or zip situation and BR felt that it might become apparent to Mario that this was a last chance saloon and maybe just maybe that he could work with him to make his undeniable talent take precedence over his general apathy for the game that made him rich.
    As for taking financial hits - I'd say the Robbie Keane sage still lingers in the memories of the money men and they are unlikely to want to lose mega millions on another player after 6 months.

Rickie - 732 minutes - 3 goals - 0 assists
    Mario - 962 minutes - 1 goal - 0 assists
    Fabio - 459 minutes - 1 goal - 1 assist
    Danny - 262 minutes - 2 goals - 0 assists

Definitely agree that Lambert is a far harder worker than Mario but to be fair you or I would probably look like Dirk Kyut in comparison. Regardless of us playing plan A or plan B, Rickie Lambert simply cant provide the high pressurising game we need from a front man, and since thats a basic principle of BR's game I fear Rickie will continue to look lost.

Anywho, all seems moot now as certainly looks like our current batch of strikers will be the ones we are relying upon till the summer at least.

17. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Radio 5 Live is great craic to listen to especially with the studio cameras on the red button on the BBC through Sky and not a gold colour tie to be seen. No hype.

18. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

I love the hype

19. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Any gold dresses (or black dresses with yellow belts even) ? ... personally, I reckon they make all the difference ;)

#5679 Garrett, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  20. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Lambert to be fair to him seems like a down to earth lad different to the modern day footballer.

It's not been a great few months for him but he's living the dream and fair play to him for deciding to stay.

From all reports he was offered a lot more money to go to Villa & as a player coming from where he has he's probably not as well off as some other PL footballers so the move & sign on fee may have been in his thinking. (I'm sure he has plenty of money though)

I expect him to move on in the summer but it would be great for him to notch a few more goals & preferably a few at Anfield.