This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Off Topic Thread Mark 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dub13, Jun 21, 2013.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The only way I can see banning private schools not being good for society,is that impacting on the freedom to run a private school could potentially be a negative. Ive always been in favour of the right to have your child educated in a way that aligns with your beliefs,including religion. What I dont agree with is tax payers money funding schools that descrimnate for any reason, whether its based on religion or income. But outside of that, the same ooportunities being available to every child regardless of income or religion, would definitely be a good thing for society as a whole.

GaryMc, bobby benitez and edcarroll02 like this.
  2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I remember watching a documentary about the Chernobyl disaster before and in it they said the Russians made it rain over a certain area, haven't a clue how they did it but thought it was mad when I heard it, that was almost 40 years ago.
    Not saying I agree with Le tossier btw, just reminded me of it when I read that tweet.

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

People like that used to be funny, half them were thrown in an asylum. Now they're everywhere, I was watching the news last night about the eclipse in Texas and it entered my mind that people like Le Tissier won't be able to enjoy simple things like that, there will be a story somewhere they will get behind like Uncle Bill will have used the darkness to inject tiny micro chips in people's ears or the it wasn't the moon crossing the sun because the sun isn't real.

babbsnads likes this.
  5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I've read that before, I think it's called cloud seeding or something like that and I know next to fuck all about it, but this mental case is miles into tinfoil hat territory again. It's always like Schrodingers governments to these nutbags. The government's are all massively incompetent,while simultaneously having the capabilities to carry out the most amazing feats of international coordinated operations. And even in the 10 million to one chance, dozens of governments with different interests and ideologies could pull off these things, there's never any logical reason for why they would.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Shane_90 and babbsnads like this.
  7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

A lad I know who is mad in to photography travelled over to Texas to see that eclipse, he ended up having to drive 4+hours from where they were based in order to get a clear view of it.
    Pretty sure he said the next one visible in Ireland won't be till 2070 or 80.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

There's a documentary on Netflix about people who believe the earth is flat. Its worth a watch but you realise that those who fall hard down these rabbit holes would be lost without these theories. It makes them feel part of something which is a good feeling that most of us look for in life, and eventually gets to the stage where their whole social life is dependent on it.

9. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

That is commitment

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Was watching some of his videos and you can see he has a big passion for it, he was like a kid at Christmas,grinning from ear to ear.

11. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Lunar not solar, of course. :)

Screenshot_20240409-125237.png

12. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Not surprised, my uncle lives over there, says peolle have been flooding into his tiny town from all over the globe. That type of commitment reminds me of the barbers I go to, one of them is mad into JFK conspiracies. He travelled to Texas on his summer holidays to do the tour. It did sound like a cool story but I couldn't help but think of the dig I'd get if I told the missus the summer holiday resolves around a chap shot before we were born.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully Simon Harris has it in his manifesto for Government, the Shinners won't be able to compete with eternal sunshine!! Less people will be worried about being homeless if the weather is better too so it's win win.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Hard to believe that waffler harris is our new taoiseach, almost as big a spoofer as our minister for health.

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think things changed with Brian Cowen. Somebody who managed to get the job because anybody of substance either didn't want it at that point because it was a suicide mission,or were too badly damaged by the economy being driven off a cliff. I don't think anybody of any substance has been Taoiseach since.

Ahearn and Haughey were massive fucking crooks but you could point to something impressive about them, either in their ability to organise, get policies over the line, or in how their personalities could attract support and/or loyalty from within the ranks. They weren't impressive as people but they were impressive politicians. As obnoxious as I found Fitzgerald and Bruton(from reading and watching footage and documentaries,I'm not that fucking old:)), you could tell they had something about them, where they could walk into rooms and summits with other substantial figures on the world stage,and easily hold their own.

The big documentary RTE did on Enda Kenny when he was done,summed him up. To a man,everybody that ever worked with him said he stood for nothing,a man devoid of principles. Varadkar is completely lacking in charm or character, but maybe there is something impressive about becoming Taoiseach twice without ever leading the party to a winning election? Im fucked if I know what that is though,and Martin's desperation to become Taoiseach under any circumstances, didn't just devalue the role itself,but showed an insecure man whose destroyed the identity of FF,and has consistently just comes across as nasty after going into the last election with the reputation of a "decent man".

And now we've Harris, a horrible little weasel who had to be put into hiding during the last election campaign,because his incompetence brought down the government,and he'd become so toxic. The ultimate example of something far too common in the public service......failing upwards.

bobby benitez and SUPERFAN like this.
  17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Or empathy, he's like a robot.

babbsnads likes this.
  18. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Maybe I am wrong but was Leo not seen at least in European Circles as a force to be reckoned with. He stood his ground on Brexit when I am not sure Martin or Enda Kenny would have done the same. Seems like Leo could walk into a high powered role in Europe if he wanted. Not saying makes him great, however from an early stage it was clear he knew what he was at as politician and would sell out anyone to advance.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think his main goal in Europe has always been to be seen as the best boy in the class in the EU, and standing up to the UK on Brexit was a no brainer. Its what the EU wanted,its what Irish people wanted, there was basically nothing to lose. I honestly don't see Micheal Martin or Enda Kenny doing anything differently in the same circumstances. But I agree,it's likely given him good options in Europe.

GaryMc likes this.
  20. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

I'm convinced what you are seeing is a symptom of another issue. People who have a bit of substance about them now are generally not interested in putting themselves out there as politicians, they'd do better using their heads in private employment. I suppose what I mean is those who would be good at it are better rewarded elsewhere (I know the Taoiseach's salary is high but I mean in getting to that point), and you are left with people who are only in it for the fame or infamy maybe.