This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Reserves in Cork

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by James, Jun 24, 2009.

1. 77kop05

77kop05
    Expand Collapse

What's with the petty bitterness? I'm sure every other town or city would have loved to have got this event. It might not have been the first team but due to those youngsters representing Liverpool there is a new generation of Reds wearing the colours today. After the game they came out and talked to the kids, signed autographs and passed on there kits.A lot of youngsters who were wearing the devil now have the liver bird on there chest because of yesterday, which can only be a good thing. A good day and night was had by all, as my aching head will testify. Oh.. and Northside tell that Jeff to do something about that toxic arse of he's.Smelly sod.:eek:

2. TubbyReina

TubbyReina
    Expand Collapse

its on lfc tv on in 15min

3. devondudley

devondudley
    Expand Collapse

what pissed me off about this was reading on other sites people flogging tickets cause the first 11 were not there, only a ****in dumbass would think that, hopefully dunmanway turn a profit on this game. putting the youths and staff up in inchadonney and building temp seating at 100k they reckon a 20 to 30k is all they will make. surely they will do more than that

4. denashpot

denashpot
    Expand Collapse

What petty bitterness? The ticket price was a joke and the build up was also a joke tbh. Other than that im delighted they came over.

5. fermoyred80

fermoyred80
    Expand Collapse

plus the fact that it was advertised as having a few first team players like Babel, Kuyt or Agger and alot of people actually thought there would be one or two there

6. denashpot

denashpot
    Expand Collapse

True. False advertising. They have a right to they're money back. :D

7. devondudley

devondudley
    Expand Collapse

they never advertised babel kuyt or agger coming over, sure the lyn oslo game was on in norway all along

8. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

IT pays to think big – just ask members of a small, rural soccer club who have landed a match against Liverpool.

Dunmanway Town XI player David Hall simply called Anfield six weeks ago and asked would the men in red like to travel to west Cork for a game.

"I had my reservations when he did it. We have no association with the club and I honestly thought they’d ignore us," club manager John Buckley said.

"Now we’re just over the moon."

Liverpool won’t be sending Steven Gerrard or Fernando Torres but have promised to field a squad which could include Dutch internationals Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel as well as French under-21 David Ngog and Daniel Agger.

The David v Goliath clash will take place at 2pm on August 6, but not on the Dunmanway club’s pitch. "We simply wouldn’t have the space. We’re hoping to attract up to 3,000 fans, so we will be staging the match at Maria Immaculata Community College, in Dunmanway," Mr Buckley said.

Liverpool club secretary, Ian Silvester, confirmed yesterday they had accepted the invitation and will fly into Cork the night before the game.

"In its decision to hold this game Liverpool FC, who are aware of their enormous fan base in the region, are bringing a taste of the Premier League to all their fans in west Cork," Mr Buckley said.

The club were runners up in the West Cork Premier League last season. But they won’t be able to match Liverpool’s firepower.

"We are hoping to draft in a couple of League of Ireland players so we can make a game of it. Liverpool are aware of our intention and have no problem with it," Mr Buckley said.

Tickets will cost €20 for adults and €10 for children and senior citizens.

The club, which has around 300 members, will use the money raised to further develop its pitches and purchase new equipment.

It’s unlikely that any fans will travel over from the Kop but then Liverpool needn’t worry as there are thousands of their supporters in Cork who will no doubt be clamouring for tickets.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, June 24, 2009

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...xzz0JL39y3Wv&D

Think thats where the Agger/Kuyt/Babel link came from

9. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Beautiful game at Dunmanway

From Today's Independent

I went to see Dunmanway FC play Liverpool FC in west Cork, and it was fantastic! Can whoever arranged it do it again with Manchester City FC, please? Preferably with the same weather, the same gardai, stewards, staff and crowds. Even the tea was gorgeous.

The whole event was a real treat and above all the football was to die for. No matter what the football pundits say, I was watching a beautiful game.

Jacqueline Cotter
    Skibbereen, Co Cork

10. denashpot

denashpot
    Expand Collapse

Im guessing she doesn't get out much. :D

11. northside red

northside red
    Expand Collapse

Chris
    can i get this Jacquelines number?

12. 77kop05

77kop05
    Expand Collapse

Why? Do you want to find out what kind of tea she was drinking? It must have been good stuff!

13. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

vincent hogan's first thing monday was about it today,didnt think hed write a piece like this to be honest

Admit it, Dunmanway set you thinking. This country is a basket case. Fifteen thousand people (a Garda estimate) pour into west Cork to watch a bunch of kids in Liverpool shirts play football.

An emergency traffic plan is put in place to avert chaos around the town. And nobody thinks of putting in a call to the Samaritans.

This isn't called devotion to a team. It is enslavement to a brand. All those baby-soap complexions peering out the windows of the Liverpool team bus last week pretty much represented just the recreational arm of a great conglomerate.

Imagine young Daniel Pacheco's call to home on Thursday evening.

"Mama, eeeesss crazy. Deeees people think we are Liverpool. We are kings to them. I no understand. Maybe Meester Benitez pick me next week, yeeees?"

And somewhere in Malaga, a mother shook her head sadly, marvelling at the imagination of a child. Before hanging up, she probably reminded Dani not to forget to floss that night.

"Si, Mama, adios!"

There are maybe two conclusions to be drawn about those people who gathered in the sunshine and breezes of the Mary Immaculata Community College. One, they don't get out enough. Two, this is probably quite a good thing.

Now we know they weren't victims of some clever public relations hoax. The event may have been flagged as the 'Mighty Liverpool' coming to west Cork, but Rafa Benitez and his boys were in Sweden on pre-season chores.

Interest

Anyone with even a passing interest in the club would have been aware of that.

And the smart chap organising the event didn't exactly dress up the busker playing spoons as an afternoon of Verdi.

He went on Thursday's RTE's 'Morning Ireland' and 'News at One' to name-call the 'stars' about to descend upon West Cork: "Pacheco, Irwin, Nemeth..." Not even a murmur of that exotic, pony-tailed dish from the East, Andriy Voronin, to set pulses aflutter.

Yet still they came. Great hordes of red-clad pilgrims, giddy, lovesick and visibly deferential of their visitors, as if Dunmanway was host to a gathering of world statesmen.

Even for this 40-year Liverpool supporter, it seemed less a sporting event than a gathering of loons.

If anything, the timing headlined the strangeness of it all. On the day 'Liverpool' came to Dunmanway, Cork City just about side-stepped a Revenue winding-up order over tax liabilities and St Patrick's Athletic secured a remarkable European victory in Russia.

The death rattle in the throat of domestic football here has never been more audible.

Even the most basic fiscal savvy seems beyond those doing the books. Clubs buy success at a plainly ruinous cost, then look startled when the roof caves in. The madness is endemic, yet the product is palpably sound.

Irish teams don't present themselves as a coconut shy in Europe anymore. They compete. The standard of football in the League of Ireland has probably never been higher. Yet, pretty much no one pays in to see it and you can't sustain full-time football without an audience.

Hence the chaos now enveloping the game. Soon, every club in the league will probably be part-time again, skill and fitness levels will regress and we'll return to a tradition of embarrassment at the big venues.

Now that's a bitter pill to swallow when you think of the throng that paid into a temporary stadium in Dunmanway last Thursday to watch a bunch of kids who probably had to be home by dark.

It's a moot point if any of those who played in Liverpool shirts last Thursday will ever even make a Premier League match-day squad.

So there's a fictional quality to their place in the world. They are exotic only for what they wear.

Anyway, in the spirit of Dunmanway, this column has a plan. You see, we've fallen into a little good fortune.

Actually, truth to tell, quite a lot of good fortune. It began with an e-mail from a Madame Lione Prez that precipitated the most extraordinary flood of correspondence.

Our relationship has blossomed like a hot-house flower since. You see, she wants to cut me in on the $20m fortune of her late husband.

I need to do virtually nothing. Just let her lodge the money in my bank account and reap 40pc for the storage. I told her I have a dream of buying my own football club and turning them into a force in Europe. Her response was heart-warming. She spoke of her gratitude to God Almighty for bringing us together.

"I am happy to hear that you want to own a club," wrote Madame Prez. "I am a football lover too, so let's invest in your football club and a five-star hotel."

Within days, Zaman Ahmed -- a kind banker in Burkino Faso -- contacted me about the $14.5m fortune left behind by a family wiped out in a plane crash in Paris nine years ago. Then Barrister William Tamale wrote to me of a client who died of a "heart-related condition" in '03, leaving behind $11.5m.

He put me in touch with Madame Sonia Zongo, another banker in Burkino Faso, who is offering me 40pc of the $9.5m left behind by a wealthy American lost in a plane crash in Kenya. I've just had an e-mail telling me that I've won £1m in a draw with the 'Pepsi Bottling Company'. Honest.

I'm feeling so good, I could sell Hull City reserves as a Broadway show right now. Or maybe peddle sand to an Algerian.

Still, must go. There's a chap on the phone with a business proposal. Goes by the name of Ashley and he's talking about a "fire sale".

What's not to like?

14. 4tothefloor

4tothefloor
    Expand Collapse

No they wouldn't Vincent. Liverpool were in Norway ;)

15. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I read this story myself in the paper Monday and never noticed this. Well spotted :D:D Maybe Vincent thinks Oslo is in Sweden.