This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Martin Odegaard

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by IanoM7, Dec 5, 2014.

1. sultana

sultana
    Expand Collapse

It's not necessarily about the money you can't assume that at all. Liverpool fans love to pretend it's about that but it's not.

I would guess a huge number of 16 year old Irish Liverpool fans would, if given the same choice, play for Madrid even if the money was the same.

We don't have a single world class player in our squad that an upcoming sixteen year old would be dreaming of playing with.

2. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

49/50 wonder kids fail, no doubt he will too but at least he's rich. If he signed for Blackburn or west Brom he most likely would have failed too only difference being about 10m in his bank account.

3. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

Of course money talks. The problem is the club's like real have more of it than us.

4. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Sturridge is world class, if he'd a right foot he'd be in top 3 strikers in the world, sterling is the best under 21 footballer in Europe.
    IMO that lad is crazy to move to Real, he shoulda went to Ajax and developed, he'll barely see the pitch unless he's in the stands at the Bernabeu , the fact Real gave his dad a coaching position tells you exactly who's pulling the strings there.

5. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Its a lot to do with the Parents alright trucker

A young lad from around my mas way had his pick of the clubs in England

They decided Everton was the best fit for him, parents are often blinded by short term cash over long term benefit

I have a mate that scouts for a premier league team and some of the stories he tells are crazy

6. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Hope he isn't the next Freddy Adu for his own sake.

7. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

One way or another he'll have more money than any of us could ever dream of. Maybe we'll resurrect his career in 4 years ala sturridge and coutinho

8. Clerk

Clerk
    Expand Collapse

FFP my arse !! Crazy stuff.

9. sultana

sultana
    Expand Collapse

He probably met suso at training handing out bibs and that was the end of that. If his ol' lad was any good on set pieces Brendan could have given him a job.

Real is a bad decision I agree but you can't blame him for taking 10 million over 5 years to be coached by ancellotti and play with Ronaldo every day. Ajax is a good shout in fairness that would have been a great move.

10. mayokev

mayokev
    Expand Collapse

anyone listen to newstalk with johnny giles.

this lad is now on more than sterling. His advice to sterling if he was his agent would be not too sign a new contract with liverpool and then sign for whoever he wants for whatever money he wants as a free agent

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I'd suspect thats going to become a feature over the next few years, with more and more players doing it across most of the bigger European leagues so they can then command even higher wages, sign on bonuses etc. as the new club doesn't have to pay the former club a purchase fee & so, has more cash to spend.

12. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Sterling has 3 years left on his contract, it'll be a long wait

13. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't be too concerned with what Johnny Giles he should be in the next jurassic park movie he's so far behind the times the ole dinosaur! !

14. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

The kid did the right thing. He has secured his and his families financial future. He could have gone to ajax and got a career ending injury. This way whether he makes it at real or not he will be rich and can always move at 19 or 20 if his career stalls.
    I thought we had a fair chance. Especially if he looked at how we've developed sterling but no one could say no to that money

15. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Gave up on RTE as far back as 2007.

Liverpool had just knocked Barcelona out of the CL & one of them Rafa Benitez "had been found out" & Steven Gerrard & Xabi Alonso were "nothing players. Also that Liverpool weren't up there with the European greats such as Madrid, Barca, Bayern Munch & "SEVILLA". :confused::confused::confused:

16. Coolfran

Coolfran
    Expand Collapse

Sevilla and Portsmouth (iirc) were the only 2 teams Dunphy liked for a while. Every other game was just won by the less abject of 2 poor sides.

On the Odegarrd decison I see 2 big factors;

1 - the lad is one injury away from his career being over. Why not guarantee his finaical future.
    2 - playing for Castilla gives him a much better platform to develop than say featuring in the English U21 league with very sporadic games.

I'm sure our offer (and I'm not talking solely money), assuming there was one was, despite the supporter connection, nowhere near enough to counter those factors.

17. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Agreed I wonder who in here would reject that money when it's out in front of them, after all most super kids do Fáil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

He 100% made the right decision for his life. In about 10 weeks time he will have more money in his bank account than any normal person can ever dream of having. That's not the end of it of course, he's also going to train under the eye of Zidane surrounded by other top class players. There's every chance that he won't make it at the top but I think he's got as good a chance at Real on his 80K a week as he would have anywhere in the world.

19. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Can a MOD add a poll to this?

Do people think he'll be a Freddy Adu or a Messi?

My money is an Adu.

20. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Yes I was listening to him giving his opinion when asked. As he said the players have the power and he would imagine Sterlings agent will be telling him to sit tight and keep improving which he said he will and then he will be able to do whatever he wants. Ultimately Liverpool will have to pay him whatever he wants or lose him. Fairly obvious which is what John Giles was saying.