This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

League of Ireland

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by born red 79, Apr 23, 2009.

1. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

The statement mentions this stadium is part of plans to build up the area between Killeens and Whiterock. Which puts it about 2.5km away from SETU, or about a 30min walk, making it way more accessible.
    https://wexfordfc.ie/a-new-home-for-wexford-football/

2. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It’s going between Kileens and Whitford . That’s almost bang in in the middle of the town but it’s easy to get to.

Ferrycarraig is being sold in conjunction with a new motorway as the road is going through the pitch to connect to the harbour. Great news all round .

3. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

Curtis is out of contract sadly, should get decent compensation and a 5% sell on as per rules but he's worth so much more than that. Will definitely play for Ireland

4. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

An unbelievable few days for us pats folk, topped off with the Wolfetones showing up in Inchicore last night it was surreal.

Glad of the off season break now though ha

TrueRed92 likes this.
  5. TrueRed92

TrueRed92
    Expand Collapse

Looks like we'll be losing a few. Same as recent years, most important positions we'll need to fill are keeper and striker.

6. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The growth of the league is brilliant but the above is still the biggest problem. I couldn't get my head around supporting a player you just know will play for all 3 of your biggest rivals in the next 5 years.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Brexit looks like it's been a big boost for the league. How many young players impressing now that probably wouldn't have been here if the rules hadn't of changed?

8. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I don't know the ins and outs of it, but why don't the clubs offer players multi year contracts? Are they that strapped for cash that couldn't commit to the payments more than 12 months out? How much do the budgets fluctuate from year to year?
    Also, giving the players contracts would help them get the foreign windfalls as players are contracted. Might also put pressure on the FAI to increase funding as it wouldn't look good if an LOI club was going to the wall because they signed a player to a 3 year deal instead of a 1 year deal.

9. Sib

Sib
    Expand Collapse

You'll find clubs tying down or trying to tie down any young player with promise. It's the only way they'll get to protect themselves and guarantee a decent fee. Comes with a risk too I suppose, if the player doesn't make it as expected, you might have invested a bit more than you'd hoped, risk and reward. I was surprised to see Melia sign a long term deal with Pats, especially with the clubs rumoured to be after him. Saying that, a young player like him, if I were his agent I would have pulled him in a right deal, for what I've no doubt will be his last contract here in the league of Ireland. I'd say he has got a nice little contract for a player of his age

10. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Turned on the TV last week and a big ginger lad was playing for Lyon. Although that doesn't look to be Brexit related it is a sign of the times. I was chatting to a lad last season who's son had signed for some club in Poland I'd never heard of, another lad from the same school boy team had signed as well. If it's a choice of Polish obscurity or LOI I'm guessing most young lads are choosing the later.

11. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

The biggest issue clubs have here is the agents, the top clubs here are willing to tie down players to longer deals but agents advise against it, often costing the player a decent secure contract in the hope they'll get a move across the water.

12. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

Its absolutely huge but we really need investment, clubs don't have full time academy coaches even at the bigger clubs, they all have jobs on the side as well to pay bills and the facilities need a major upgrade. The FAI realise this as the league will be the ones who'll produce the players mainly for the national team now till their 18, but the government can't trust the fai with anything really so that will delay any progress there

babbsnads likes this.
  13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It will be interesting to look at the numbers in 10 years time and see how many Irish players are playing in England compared to before the new rules came in. Theoretically you'd think an older player with a few years first team experience in Ireland,would be better equipped to make a career in England than a 16 year old going into the academy system,and we could see a rise in the standard of the players who make it, but there will be far fewer players going over which you'd think is going to mean less players playing over there.

Good for the LOI but unless the standard of the league rises considerably,it will be a bad thing for the international team. I'd watch a fair bit of Stockport County, and while they're top of League 2,it still is only league 2 and Pats and Bohs are way off their standard. Granted I've seen a lot less of Rovers but from the little I have, they wouldn't stack up against them either. I'm not trying to insult the LOI, it looks like a league on the up and there's a great opportunity to take advantage of the new rule and the current popularity,but for the national teams sake, we really need that to happen. You'd like to think the FAI will finally realise how important a strong LOI is now, but it's the FAI, so.....

bobby benitez likes this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, security isn't going to be a priority for 16 and 17 year olds signing contracts with LOI clubs. Having a contract until you're 20 or 21 at an LOI club isn't really security anyway. The clubs are obviously and rightly trying to tie down players to longer deals,but we know that ensuring a decent fee if the English clubs come calling is a big part of the reason why. An agent looking out for his player is going to at least want to balance that situation where his clients interests are given equal consideration. The Melia situation sounds like everybody done alright. If there's clubs queuing up when he's 18 then Pats get a decent whack. But at the same time they won't really be in a position to demand too much and scupper the move he wants, because a year later he'll be able to go for a comparative pittance.

15. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Ye I think it is a harder thing to weight up now because you see far less going over but going over means you are going to first teams and not academies so while the quantity of player going is far less the quality is far higher so probably the same number will make it. I wouldn't split hairs but I watch Walsall quite regularly and thats about the level of Bohs and Pats alright in league two, based off Freddie Draper and Ross Tierney slotting straight into the first team and hitting the ground running. SO I'd agree Bohs Pats Shels Dundalk are mid to lower end league two, Rovers would hold there own in league one not that the difference is vast. Rovers are a serious team, they were relatively shite this year by theere standards and pissed the league more or less in second gear as much as I dislike saying it.

The standard of the league is rising every year now due to the quality but your comparing amatuer academies with full time academies. This is changing with Bohs Pats Shels and Rovers anyways as they are adding full time staff and facilities. The grounds are changing too which is a massive factor. The ambitious plan launched by the FAI would be huge for the league and irish football but alas as Ballyfermott Reds says whod give them a tenner let alone a couple of hundred million.

@elvis it was once that the short term deals were due to being cash strapped but now ye can't convince the top lads to sign, Bohs had lost Lyons, Mandriou, Tierney, Devoy, Kelly all for nothing last few years. Madriou and Lyons to Rovers who both only signed short term with them as they wouldn't jeopardise their risk of going abroad. All of the clubs have changed stance and protected themselves a little more by refusing to give the one year deals and the clubs have stood strong. Bohs have McManus on a 3 and a half year deal and Pats got Melia on a 3 year deal which is great. Means there will be a fee when they move on. The flip side of that is Curtis who leaves Pats with 60 first team appearances at 17 for compensation.

The league is making giant leaps forward and is no longer an angry teenager hating the world for not being interested in it. I envisage continued growth and success for it over the next 5-10 years.

bobby benitez and babbsnads like this.
  16. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Great news for the club and hopefully will increase crowds as a lot easier to access though I will miss Ferrycarrig on Friday nights :D

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The lower leagues and national league in England are interesting in that there will be teams who can't get out of those leagues,but who could probably hold their own if they did get promoted. Top 10 national league in most given seasons would probably all stay up in league 2 if you threw any of them in there,or at least have a great chance. Same from league 2 to league 1. The dynamic I'd say changes from league 1 to championship when the standard takes a bigger jump but I suppose it makes it hard to compare lower league teams to the LOI. Another thing you have to factor in is that the LOI players who hit the ground running,are mainly the ones being cherrypicked. Ideally though, what we need is a situation where the top teams in Ireland could easily hold their own in the championship and now we're in a position where we could get there on a fraction of the money spent in that league,as long as intelligent decisions are taken. Facilities being the most important factor imo.

18. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Yep I agree 100% with this and I am hugely encouraged by decisions being taken by clubs now. The FAI are still useless and contirbute nil but most of the clubs have taken the initiative and gotten people in who are taking long term growth over short term gain more seriously. For years the league winner would have bet the house on getting the europe, win the league flop in europe and go broke. Now clubs are being prudent, spending within their means. I think Rovers are operating on a loss at the moment but look to be recitifying it which is leading to a bit of unsettlement there but its good to see them take the correct steps.

The clubs themselves are well capable of growing the league most are sourcing there own grounds (through councils and LSSF grants etc) but the best thing happening at the minute is clubs are going alone the FAI just need to stay out of the way.

babbsnads likes this.
  19. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

The Meila deal is absolutely brilliant for everyone involved. Some agents are encouraging players not to sign and I dont think its right, the clubs here are the ones who have to develop our players now if we can't get money coming back in to improve things in the academy everyone loses out including agents in terms of fees, Players in terms of proper facilities and full time coaches to develop them and let's not forget not every player loi clubs sign on a pro deal will be wanted by an English club. If there's no reward for the clubs to develop these lads they won't keep throwing money at it. Thankfully pats are generally OK they've been dealing with the right people by in large

20. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Kavanagh to pats is a good bit of business.

BallyfermotReds likes this.