This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Off Topic Thread Mark 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dub13, Jun 21, 2013.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I think some of them are in it to influence policies that will assist with their interests outside politics. One of the reasons rents are so high in my opinion is that those who should be ensuring they are reasonable are also those benefitting from high rents. Just one example.

In the Uk it’s 100% the case, most of the Tory party’s actions are with their personal and business interests in mind.

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

And this is why I have zero interest in the cult of civility around politicians,where we're not supposed to point out the scumbags because it's politics. If you risk people's lives,or make them miserable out of self interest,whether that's to ensure you get re-elected, or improve your prospects/bank balance down the line,then you're a scumbag. There will always be tough decisions that hurt people no matter what, but there's a difference between what I'm talking about and doing something that has negative consequences because you believe it's for the greater good. When the difference is obvious, then the cult of civility can fuck off.

3. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

I agree with this, I have had opportunities in the past to move into politics and I do have an appetite to serve in my community but ultimately the money has never been adequate to take the leap and the lack of security at this stage of my life is not a chance I can take. That's before you factor in the public exposure and fear of digging out the time I called Francis Jeffers a cunt on twitter.

I don't believe that the best young minds go near politics and its only going to get worse.

4. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

You'd want to be mad to be a councillor. I was talking to one recently and they were telling me that its effectively a 24/7 job and its part time pay really. Like yourself I was asked about going into it too but I'd literally need to give everything else I do up and it really isn't worth it in my eyes. There's a couple of councillors down where I live and they are effectively full time, they aren't juggling another job, and it makes a huge difference to them.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

6. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Eir CEO Oliver Loomes taking about complaints on RTE’s ‘The Business’ radio show two days ago: “We used to get 600 complaints per month and we now only have 27 per month… Only 0.001pc of our customers have a complaint and go to Comreg.”

Reminds me of our government around 2011/2012 boasting about how low the unemployment level had fallen. This being around the same time thousands of youngsters were heading off weekly to Oz, Canada, Dubai etc looking for work

babbsnads likes this.
  7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Slightly related, I asked for a complaint number with SSE Airtricity, I owed them about €500 but refused to pay because they kept failing to send me the bills. When I asked for a complaint number to lodge with the regulator they went silent. Now I'm either €500 up or a lads in balaclavas will be coming to take my telly.

edcarroll02 and babbsnads like this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Reminds me of Passport Express. Apparently it was taking just as long as regular applications and there was loads of complaints. Instead of fixing it,they changed the name to Post Passport so now people know not to expect it quickly. The TD who pushed for the name change was absolutely delighted with herself :)

LFCRebel likes this.
  9. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

She's in my area sadly ;-(

babbsnads likes this.
  10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Didn't she do a self congratulatory video about it and everything, I'm cringing thinking back about it!

babbsnads likes this.
  11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse