This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Off Topic Thread Mark 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dub13, Jun 21, 2013.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Stayed in it loads of times. If you won’t be hanging around it for long and it’s somewhere to sleep and drop the bags, it’s perfect. It’s basic though and you’d not want to spend your day hanging out in it.

djdwainec likes this.
  2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Haven't stayed in it for a long time but would've been in it a fair bit back in the day, nothing fancy, fairly basic but does the job.

djdwainec likes this.
  3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Is anyone else having trouble with the revolut app today?

4. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

I've stayed there if it's with the lads your grand if your with the missus I'd prob swerve it.

djdwainec likes this.
  5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I can't find them posts about the Volvo XC90 but I was in Galway this weekend and it turns out the wife's sister has one, company leases it for him. He quite likes it overall, didn't want to push him on whether it's a dream car if you win the lotto but he's very happy with it nonetheless. €107k worth for his own tax return, insane money in my opinion

6. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure he is and who wouldn't be that knows a good dream car when they see one. Personally speaking, my lotto money goes on the same model just a good few bob over with top spec, and personalised stuff. It is lotto money after all.

I take back what I said about Beamers and Audi's. It was below the belt but when people p1ss on your dream car you come out swinging. Who wouldn't? ;)

babbsnads and GaryMc like this.
  7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Dont be so hasty, Audi owners dont deserve to have their feelings considered here. They've made their beds with the way they behave on the road,now they can lie in it. If youre an Audi owner who doesnt drive like a bellend,then take it up with the majority who do, and who've made sure Audi drivers have replaced BMW drivers on that score.

mushypea likes this.
  8. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I was hasty wasn't I. Some lovely models from both manufacturers in fairness but as an M1 user frequently, I can confirm the above to be true.

babbsnads likes this.
  9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

These Muppets absolutely love flags!

I'm not even sure how that translates to woke by the way, am I missing something obvious or just the continuation of the ongoing trend of anything they don't like being "woke"

babbsnads likes this.
  12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Its just a word for anything they don't like,or in this case, pretend to be outraged about. Different takes on the union jack or the st. Georges cross has been happening in the design of football or athletics gear for years. Nobody cared. UKIP, The Reform Party and the Tories have all altered the design and/or colurs of it for their logos, nobody cared. Somebody mistakenly thought the little flag on the new England shirt had something to do with supporting the LGBT community, because people are morons, and when they realised it wasnt, they had to either double down on their stupidity,or pretend they were offended by altering the flag, or as Henry Winter put it, the "desecration" of the flag. I knew at the time that the same people would have to pretend to be offended by the Team GB logo at some point between then and the Olympics,even though nobody was offended when it was initially launched. Thats the thing about performative outrage, things you have to pretend to be offended by will keep coming along. Its hard work.

13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I get offended by people being offended so I get offended a lot. It is exhausting.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Interesting discussion on liveline just now on whether fee paying school students should get free books, good arguments on both sides but I don't think anyone can deny there's an advantage to sending your child to to a fee paying school if you can afford it cos if there wasn't you'd be less likely to do it.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yes,but all offence isnt equal. Some is based on things that dont matter and some is based on things that do. And the times where you could just ignore the cranks is long gone,Trump and Brexit have shown us that. The big problem with the coverage these culture war issues get, is it takes attention away from issues that genuinely impact on peoples lives. Because being angry all the time is exhausting, and if youre angry about culture war nonsense,you're ignoring things that ruin lives. The same week as the England shirt stuff, ITV ran a story about a 9 year old girl whose spinal condition has become inoperable,after the surgery was postponed 7 times due to staff shortages. Close to zero public reaction. The health service they had that was the envy of the rest of the world,is collapsing, and ironically there used to be far more reaction to its failures when it was in a miles better place. Brexit is a big cause of that, and these stupid culture war issues led to Brexit. And thats just one of many examples. The worst human beings who are in positions of power, are pandering to peoples anger on culture war issues, and its already caused huge misery. The potential for more misery is limitless, because you can make people angry about absolutely anything. And now its hit Ireland.

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Free books for all is free books for all so I'd be of the opinion that you give it to everyone regardless of the school in question. Of course private schools offer advantages many of them directly tangible like smaller class sizes can attract better teachers. The intangibles are nearly more important with the network you have after you've left, that connection opens doors for people in a big way.

I'm not against the idea of shutting the door on private schools altogether though and bring them all into the public system but it's probably never happening. Our education system is one of the best in the world for equal access and the more we can do to level that playing field the better (I'm not commenting on the overall education here but broadly about equal access to education).

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Id agree with that. Each individual student should be entitled to free books,no matter what school they go to if the scheme is supposed to be for every student. A bit like the old age pension and calls to means test it, I dont think that would be fair. But I'd stop all tax payer money going to fund the fee paying schools themselves. Either they can be self sufficient or non existent.

bobby benitez likes this.
  18. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I was only kidding to be honest but find it hard to deal with modern social media in general, just tend to stay away from it on a wider scale than Irishkop. :)

babbsnads likes this.
  19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I imagine what would happen if they moved in that direction that you'd probably end up with maybe 2 or 3 fee paying schools in the whole country for the very wealthy and the others would have to be subsumed into the public system. I think society would benefit from a move away from fee paying schools entirely.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Wouldnt blame you. I only do Twitter and here, and every now and again I take a break from both for a while. Might be getting close to that time again.

Liverpool-law likes this.