This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by GaryMc, Oct 26, 2020.

?

Would you immediately take Covid Vaccine if it became available ?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2020.
  1. Straight Away

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Wait and See

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Would Never Take it

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

the govt are talking at the moment about phasing out the PUP but surely if the chef in the above example loses their job due to covid they will have to continue paying it?

2. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I just can't see it, could your employer ask you if you have had any other vaccine or medication? My employer has staff dealing directly with the public and others that may never even meet a colleague again never mind a member of the public. Could they change contracts or discriminatinate against one type of employee over the other? They wouldn't dare, Willie mentioned sacking earlier, there is a difference in letting someone go. Redundancy comes in there, I could envisage that scenario in limited circumstances but sacking is a complete no no.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

To be honest with so many new laws that have been introduced to deal with covid, I wouldn't be ruling anything out.

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Very few of them are permanent and even fewer have been tested in court. I heard last week the crowd that rented the marquee for that wedding in Longford got fined and so did the crowd that supplied food. Whatever about the morals of both transactions I can't see were either committed an offence. I certainly wouldn't be paying unless they broke some other laws.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Temporary is a relative term Bob,and its amazing how often a temporary law can be renewed. I'm not saying you're wrong by the way but I doubt it's going to be a cut and dried situation where non vaccinated workers rights aren't the subject of a battle.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think the argument is the vaccine greatly reduces the chances of contracting and transmitting the virus so with everybody vaccinated the health risk is very low and it will be fine reducing current measures/restrictions. But if you throw unvaccinated people into that mix it increases the health risk to a point where certain restrictions will have to stay in place to protect both the vaccinated and unvaccinated,and it increases the chances of a variant that current vaccines aren't effective against.

mushypea likes this.
  7. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Well I've learned something new here. I just assumed the vaccine was only good for greatly reducing your chances of being hospitalised by the virus. Makes sense to have those concerns so.

babbsnads likes this.
  8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I think the issue is that our constitution would need to be changed to allow for this. Bodily integrity or something along those lines is specifically protected in our constitution. Government would be on sketchy ground trying to circumvent thst.

Attached Files:

9. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I reckon the way it’s going is that in two years time Covid will be a like a really bad flu. Even got those vaccinated there is a chance you can get it.

My understanding is that legally companies cannot make you take the vaccine unless their is wording in your contract that specifies that you need to take precautions to ensure you can do your job. In theory if your are in a public facing role and you choose to avoid taking the vaccine, you could be in breach of contract. Going to be messy and a minefield. There will be court cases that will set the legal precedent.

For those who don’t take the vaccine, that’s their choice but at least for next two years they will have issues with international travel and getting into
    Events

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

would you say the same about a pregnant woman who is hesitant about getting the vaccine?

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm not going to pretend to understand what the government are entitled to do with temporary laws in order to protect public health, and like Bob I accept you very well be right,but given they could close any business they wanted to for that reason, it doesn't seem that big a stretch to me that they could do something here. If anything it seems less drastic than what they've already done.

I genuinely don't know how I'd feel about it. Of course I support people's right to refuse a vaccine and workers rights, but should that trump somebody's right to protect their business and/or keep their staff/patrons as safe as possible?

12. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Willie quoted the expert as saying an employers could dismiss an employee for refusing to take a vaccine. What you have said above is perfectly plausible but that would be making someone redundant because you don't have any role for that person in a position in the company where the vaccine wouldn't be necessary. Firing them is impossibility in my opinion, the EU couldn't agree to make vaccines compulsory for travel so they're is no way they will do so for employment (certainly existing employment).

babbsnads likes this.
  13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

No, I am talking about people with no medical reason to refuse to take the vaccine. Conspiracy theorists and thickos.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

15. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

They've recorded 12 deaths in the UK from the Delta Variant in people who were fully vaccinated for more than 2 weeks. That's the first really shit news on the coronavirus front I'd heard in a while. Still small numbers of course but I was hoping we'd be down to no deaths in the fully vaccinated cohorts!

18. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Getting mine from the Doctor on Wednesday morning. Getting the Pfizer. Got a call about it on Friday afternoon. Delighted to get the call.

19. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

With the Oxford one, the efficiency is about 70%. So sadly there will be deaths but alot less the UK really need close the gaps between 2 jags otherwise will be another wave there. I think we will be okish.

20. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Is it now officially 8 weeks between AZ doses here? The last I heard was they were looking into shortening the weeks between depending on data