This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What really grinds your gears.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Maverick, Apr 27, 2011.

1. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Much difference with prices post Brexit?

2. pam

pam
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I ordered books from easons took 11 days, I ordered books from amazon it was delivered next day and another took 2 days, I can’t understand how this is so bad, I ordered from Arnotts and it took 2 weeks, I kept my Amazon prime, and see how it goes I have not ordered anything over 20 quid that will be import and or customs duties, be interesting to see how long it will take then.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Claire Byrne read out a text from a person who said people who look like they've had a haircut should be fined....one weirdo making a stupid suggestion.

It's gone viral on Twitter with people going mad and claiming it's an example of how crazy things have gotten. Yep,the dope who sent in the text is the problem,not the thousands of people who are upset about it and have made it go viral.

Beano87 likes this.
  4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Also

With that Britney Spears documentary coming out,its brought a lot of focus on how women are treated in the media. Old clips from how the likes of Jay Leno targeted Monica Lewinsky to more recent ones of David Letterman being horrible to Lindsay Lohan while he's interviewing here. Piers Morgan has been really fucking disgusting to Megan Markle,and it's because she ghosted him. Too much of the reaction to Caroline Flack has been shown to be completely insincere and he's definitely in that category.

5. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Claire Byrne annoys me for reading it out but if people turn against each other job done for her probably.

Tarabuses, Stevie S and babbsnads like this.
  6. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Caroline Fkacks death was a tough one for many (cough cough) celebs in the public eye. They needed to come out and condemn the media for their harrassment of Caroline and others but at the same time not coming across as condoning domestic violence. It's a tough life sometimes trying to keep oneself as relevant as possible in the media in a positive light whatever it takes. Professionals like those in David Beckhams PR team are well worth their wage.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think its not that hard to walk the line between not condoning domestic violence and not being a bullying scumbag. The media(for the most part) and friends of people like Paul Gascoigne and Paul McGrath seem to manage it handy enough. Where a lot of people failed with Caroline Flack was because domestic violence wasn't their main concern, the culture war of "what if that was a man hitting a woman instead of vice versa" was.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Thats it though. A lot of the same people watch the Late Late Show every week just to complain about it,without seeing the irony in that it's driving up their viewing figures. If everybody who heard that text read out today had of just thought "what a muppet" and then got on with their day then that would be it. Instead they lose their minds and blame the texter for a situation that only exists because they decided it was one.

Niall likes this.
  9. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

There's a thread on boards with people spending all of Friday looking forward to complaining about the late late regardless of who is on. I'm not sure if I become part of the problem by reading the thread but I think I'm ok

Colm75 and GaryMc like this.
  10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Herself and I watched the Britney documentary the other night. I didn’t have a clue what happened here since 2008, she is basically owned and controlled by her Dad. She has had a good career since then and for previous 3 years she was well off the rails so hard to know what was best for her. The papparazzi around her at her height was something else. Shit she was subjected to compared to the boybands was unreal. They had one of the main paps from back then on it, an absolute gobshite.

Documentary pretty shit.

anyone who works on those Celeb Magazines or sections of the red top rags all play a part in the misery a lot of celebs go through. Even worse now with Social media.

babbsnads likes this.
  11. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I heard Conor Pope on radio in December saying people can use Amazon.de, that they've put English translation option on it, so you can avoid using UK version & obviously avoid incurring charges now applicable

Garrett and LFCRebel like this.
  12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Trouble is you have to pay another prime membership. I thought it was all the one but got a recurring payment so you be paying twice. Took me half hour with google translate to remove it. Even when you change the language to English on the .de site, the subscription section stays in German. The buttons are in different order so was a nightmare m.

One thing I have noticed is not the prices but a lot less options for delivery to Ireland.

13. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

Addresspal from An Post...
    I understand the issues with Brexit etc but I had a parcel arrive to them in UK on 19/1 (next day delivery), then the next update I got after a fair few calls and emails was 5/2 to say item is on its way from UK.
    Parcel arrived in Dublin sorting office on 10/2.
    Still waiting for the package and no update

Parcel Motel did same item for me in October and was 4 working days from
    Order to motel pick up, this is now day 19 going into day 20

14. pam

pam
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Amazon Germany, not many ship to Ireland the ones that do the postage is very high, and they will not take prime from here

15. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I've purposely stopped watching prime time, rte news, the late late most rte shows as I don't like the narrative or biased nature being portrayed there, and felt for my own mental health it was best to stop. It felt like the common man was being continuously blamed or zoned in on during this pandemic while our politicians were being totally devoid of blame watsoever. I've accepted me as a 42 yr man wouldn't be vaccinated till next yr but I'm OK with that too as long as my older loved ones get it soon too.

Garrett likes this.
  16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I was going to trim the hedges in the front garden over the weekend. Then yesterday the next door neighbour was getting out his car at the same time as my missus and he asked her would we cut them because its blocking his light. I now can't do them for a month at least because I can't be told what to do by the likes of him.

Ron1892, Joedared, LFCRebel and 9 others like this.
  18. pam

pam
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

19. pam

pam
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Sorry guys so bleeding long missing forgot how this works, re hedges from next week it’s illegal to cut hedges as it’s bird nesting season, the guards have little to do so I wonder will they inforce this rule .

Cutting, burning, or destruction of hedges is restricted during nesting and breeding season between the 1st March and the 31st August, in order to protect nesting birdsexcept for certain exemptions. (Section 40 of the Wildlife Act 1976 as amended by Section 46 of the Wildlife Amendment Act 2000).
    https://www.wexfordcoco.ie › hedge...
    Hedgecutting and Tree Felling | Wexford County Council

20. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I'm open to correction Pam, but I don't believe that would cover garden hedges, it relates to uncultivated land (i.e. roadside and farming hedgerows).

Joedared likes this.