This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Water Tax

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Niall, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Anfield Old Boys

Anfield Old Boys
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

He is telling the truth...water charges were in the deal with the Troika..

http://www.finance.gov.ie/sites/default/files/euimfrevised.pdf

2. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

Hardly good timing though 100k on the streets yesterday loads of folk on social media running amok then today and he comes out with that. Just added fuel to the fire!

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

If you don't pay the property tax revenue can refuse you a tax clearance cert but that's not the case with water charges,not at the moment anyway.

4. Liver6t

Liver6t
    Expand Collapse

But it can't be just as simple as not to pay it? I'm not saying your suggesting that I'm just putting it out there, is there a fine involved if you don't pay it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MR KING KENNY

MR KING KENNY
    Expand Collapse

the whole country needs to act on this one, if you know anyone thats gona pay it you should make it your job to convince them not to, this can be a massive win for the people, to finally say **** off enoughs enough. the country bottled the last poxy made up tax, this time i really hope we learned from it.

6. Liver6t

Liver6t
    Expand Collapse

With these things I don't think the country acts or voices it's opinions until it's too late and once again I think it's too late.

7. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Don't think it's too late, i won't be paying it, don't know anyone who will be..

8. Liver6t

Liver6t
    Expand Collapse

If it's gone as far as 70% of our homes are now fitted with water meters it's too late. That's my opinion on it anyway, the country has acted too late on the matter!

9. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

Paying the charge, I've no problem with.

Not getting a service in return (i.e. Irish Water actively invests in improving the infrastructure and quality of the water supply) would be where I get pissed off. Unfortunately, I've no faith in Irish Water that they'll actually do anything beyond the bare minimum to fix leaky pipes and/or improve water quality.

This won't be overturned anyway. The protests send a good message but I think the aim of it should be to insure the people get a proper service in return for the charges and that Irish Water are transparent and accountable for how they spend that money. That would be an achievable target.

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Saturday reminded me of the times we got out and marched on the streets of Liverpool and protested against cancer and aids,great days that made me proud to be a red.

11. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

We're having awful issue's here locally with our water its gone well into double figures the amount of times this year we've had no water for days due to burst pipes or leaks, the last time it went off i demanded exactly where the leak was so i could speak personally to engineer in charge, when i went out there i had a very good chat with him bout whats currently going in with CC and irish water,about budgets where it goes how they decide etc. Going off what he said we really are screwed going forward and imo these marches have come too late, we just have to accept from now on as a country we're going backwards.

12. Tarabuses

Tarabuses
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I think the charge will be assessed on the landlord who will then look for it back from you.

13. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree.
    The marches should have happened as soon as plans were announced to charge for water usage.
    There's no way the government would do a u-turn now after all the millions spent on consultancy and installations etc.

14. south

south
    Expand Collapse

I can't see it myself but remember the voting machines? Was it 80 million that cost plus storage costs.

15. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I think I heard at the time, that the signed a 25-year or maybe a 35-year lease to store those machines .... along with the clock they originally put in the Liffey.

While I think they have since told us they scrapped the machines, they never mentioned anything more about whether or not they were still liable for storage under a lease etc.

If I ever get a bit of time, I'm going to start writting in asking about stuff like this under the Freedom of Information Act, could make for some very interesting reading... would just be much easier if the journos had a suggestion based discussion board, where we could all raise stuff like this and get them to do the research, given they get paid to report on stuff like this :)

16. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

But that was down to security problems with the machines, not public pressure.
    I was only thinking of those machines the other day. Another huge fcuk-up.

17. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

I seen this up on Facebook yesterday, its around Coolock I think. Do the water meter companies foot the bill for the Gardai here or whats the craic? I've heard tales of them been shipped in from other stations to cover areas where people are protesting. It's not quite miners strike levels but it looks like it's headed that way

18. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Saw a video on Facebook or Gardai getting loads of stick last week. In fairness to them they were just standing there and getting loads of grief about nothing to do with the water charges. A lot of the them probably agree with the protest but as part of their job, they are sent to keep the peace.

It's never too late to get a protest going about this. The biggest protest will be if people en masse refuse to pay it. Don't think the majority would though as fear will set in once the Goverment start putting stories in the papers about the consequences of not paying.

19. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

This is the one thing I do not understand about Irish Water. Why do they have the Gardai protecting them like this if they are a private company? I guess the Gardai are charged with keeping the peace, regardless of what the situation is but it does seem like the Gardai are Irish Water's own personal bodyguard service.

20. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I think the reason why residents of areas like that are so angry at the gardai and giving them so much grief is that when there's problems in the same area(s) it's a struggle to get 10% of the number of gardai in that photo out to address the problem.