This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The "I'm off on me holliers" thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dub13, May 9, 2011.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

You are putting up more air miles than Willie Fog these days :D and just right too :)

Dub13 and dk.lfc like this.
  2. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

I'm off to Majorca next week. I feel sunburnt thinking about it.

3. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Is there anyone heading off that's reconsidering out of interest?

I think anywhere with the temps hitting the 40s would have me cutting my losses.

babbsnads likes this.
  4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I've no intention of going to a hot European country in June,July or August ever again if I can avoid it.

mushypea likes this.
  5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

My wife's sister is flying into Corfu today, I wish I could say I was joking. Apparently the wildfires there are under control, grand so. Bringing the two kids too, sure what could go wrong.

6. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Booked for the 22nd of August ourselves, I hear what you are saying with regards to the safety side of things - the authorities in Corfu are saying that everything is under control and keep coming, which had hints of the Mayor from Jaws reading the quotes. We are lucky enough in that we have another two or three weeks to make a call, but heading over there now while there are still fires burning is a tough call to say the least.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The videos of Italy are crazy. Hailstones the size of a fist and rivers of ice flowing down main streets, in July.

8. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Ive been monitoring the weather and Majorca is averaging out at 30-33 per day - I won't be doing the holiday the traditional way tho- there will be plenty of indoor activities and wont be touching the pool with the kids til late afternoon.

mushypea likes this.
  9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Just a suggestion because people have different approaches to things and this way might not suit you,but I found getting down to the pool early was the way to go. That way I made sure I had loungers with sun umbrellas, then when it got too hot in the afternoon,we'd head up and have a relax or a snooze. Then get ready to head out in the evening as the temperature is cooling. But I'm wide awake at half 6 most mornings, so it was nothing to be to head down at half 8 to get a good spot,with everybody else following me down when they woke up. I know that's not for everybody and then in some places there's hassle reserving sun loungers. But the people coming down at 12 or 1 who we were,had trouble getting sun loungers and no hope of getting a sun umbrella.

10. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

We are just back from Sunset beach in Belmadena . When we got there it was 40 degrees and then dropped to the high 30’s. We have a 6yr and a 4yr and every morning we would have them in the pool till about 11 and then take them out and bring them to the kids club till 1pm. Then some lunch and back to the kids club from 3pm till 5pm. The kids club was always indoors. Was a godsend as the heat at the back from 12pm till 5pm was very warm and we were beside sea too. They have a great time in the kids club and kept asking to go back . Just my two cent.

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Getting riddled with Mosquito bites is worse than the madness that's going on with Caicedo, I've never been bitten in the past but on this holidays I'm like a walking buffet for the little bastards. The wife is absolutely destroyed so my complaining just gets overshadowed.

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Up in Portstewart/Portrush for a few days. Weather was mixed however a great time. Portrush has really good funfair for young kids. Old school!!
    Plenty of nice beaches, Giants Causeway, would recommend it.

mushypea likes this.
  13. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

Didn't know where to put this but I'm gonna be heading back to Dublin from mayo tomorrow and looking for recommendations to watch the match as I won't make it home on time, judging by the maps I should be around Longford by 4ish if anyone knows of a Liverpool bar or a decent sports bar there or there abouts they could recommend. Cheers

14. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Edward Valentines on the Main Street is a decent place to watch the game. It's the closest you will get to a sports bar in Longford.

15. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

Nice one mate

16. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Landed in Auckland Monday last week for our New Zealand adventure. Now pulling into Picton on ferry from Wellington to see the South Island for next 2 and half weeks. By all accounts it has more going for it scenery wise which must be stunning as the North Island at times was breath taking as is the scenery here while ferry pulls in. Did all the tours (Hobbiton was brilliant) and hiring a car hire really has given us the freedom to get around at any given time as we're booking accommodation as we go. Planning to be in Christchurch for the quarter finals Sunday morning which should be some craic. I'm sensing a nervousness about the game down here from them with us going so well but really is a tough one to call.

So far a holiday that's more than lived up to expectation. Lovely people too.

17. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

Anyone know anywhere in tullamore that'll show the game today with it not being on legit TV?

18. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Was up there last week and have to agree, fantastic spot. I was playing a bit of golf with the lads too and it's a paradise for that too.

On another note what's everyone's go to for kids holidays, looking to get away in May next year and the whole thing is an impossibility with the number of places available. Anyone any go to's that they'd recommend?

19. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Depends on what you are looking for and how old the kids are really.
    But for us, we like to get a hotel/apartment that has enough stuff to keep us entertained that we wouldn't need to leave it. So for that we need a kids club, night time entertainment and a pool with slides etc.

Two we've been to recently that were great and ticked all of the boxes Pierre Vacancies in Fuerteventura and H10 Mediterranean in Cap Salou. We barely left the complexes for most of it and they are the most refreshed I've been going back to work after a holiday.

Other ones where we had to entertain ourselves meant a lot more travelling around, renting a car, thinking of ideas to keep the kids happy, figuring out where and when the little fella would get his nap, and it just became very stressful and the kids weren't too happy either.

My fellas are 6 & 2 for reference.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Mine are 5 and 2 so definitely a great reference point. We did a H10 in Costa Teguise in Lanzarote and it was half board but I loved how close it was to the town as we could go for dinner with a 10 minute walk into the little town there. I'll have a look at the two you'v'e suggested but definitely agree on having somewhere you don't have to leave unless you want to.