This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Real Madrid (h) CL last 16 first leg

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by xRedmanLFCx, Feb 21, 2023.

1. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

9 months ago we came close to winning the quadruple. We played every game in every competition, winning almost all of them. With basically the same squad as 2 years ago and as now.

Niall likes this.
  2. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

You're only reinforcing the point that this was inevitable, you cannot flog the same players to produce forever. They will eventually fall off a cliff. As I said in the previous post, I cannot see how anyone cannot agree that this was shockingly bad succession planning for a team at the top end of the premier league table.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think the point being made there is that the issues in midfield would catch up with us eventually which although I think requires a bit of context,not least that weve spent 180 million in the last 13 months, it's very hard to argue that isn't the case. I don't think there's anybody going to argue that we don't need more midfielders. I think we'll spend another 150 million minimum this summer, which will be well over 300 million spent on players in 18 months,with a shit load of contract renewals thrown in for good measure that will have cost a shitload. If we still have a lack of options in midfield after that, then it's down to the manager.

4. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Not that I expect it to bother him in the slightest but I wonder if Carra realizes that his carry on while commentating on Liverpool games is doing nothing but ensuring that, when us Liverpool fans think of him these days its not as the warrior RB and CB half crippled with cramp STILL making interceptions in the CL final (or any number of other games).......but as yet another pundit with an axe to grind.

He's loathe to give any praise - Newcastle game a case in point. Naming Saint Maximum MoM was just laughable. Granted seeing him going full pelt is good to watch but what did he actually achieve? Carra couldnt wait to tell everyone how lucky Liverpool were (I didnt think having a world class keeper was luck personally) and how it would catch them out. Cue Madrid and Carra going off on a mad one. Everyone and their dog knows we are in a "bad moment" and having a club legend reeming out anyone whose name he can remember doesnt help one bit - theres more than enough pundits of other allegiances willing to stick the boot in

Its saying something when youre least favorite commentary duo no longer includes Gary Neville. Carra and Tyler = mute button for me these days.

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

didn't see most/some of the 2nd half last night, had to listen to it on the radio.
    just seeing this for the 1st time, WTF?

6. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yeah, because we took such a hammering, anyone who mentions it is accused of just being sour grapes but that was in the 53rd minute when Real were 2 - 3 up. I thought it was a pen. 2 minutes later it was 2 - 4 and game over.

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I said it immediately in the match thread. It's a blatant push, I'm guessing their argument would be that Nunez was gone by the ball but a push is a foul regardless.

8. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of watching that back instead of watching tonight's games. I'd imagine it will become a lot clearer on second viewing. I think Modric and Benzema had about 3 touches between them in the first 20 minutes. Modric in particular just figures it out and takes action. Same with Benzema, they have a class that gets overlooked in numbers, it's like they're all grouped together as 14 or 5 times winners. Individually they have amazing players, they have the perfect blend of youth and experience, class and shithousery, they can beat you with speed or skill or have a fight if that's how you want to play.

From a squad you couldn't ask for much more, a new left back maybe.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.