This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool v Real Madrid - Champions League Final - Paris 28.5.22

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by Liverpool-law, May 24, 2022.

1. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Ok, we go again. We have had a few injuries lately which is to be expected with the volume and intensity of games we have had. Madrid have had La Liga wrapped up for weeks and last played on Friday last. My only worry for us is physical and mental fatigue. If we go out and play like we can I have no doubt we win. Hopefully Fabinho and Thiago can make the final. At the moment the word is Thiago is more likely to make the bench but it's still only Tuesday morning. Salah to come alive in this one, along with Diaz and Mane. No. 7 is coming back to Liverpool. YNWA

2. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Matip or Konate? Going off recent weeks Klopp will go Konate to start. I'd go with Matip myself.
    Fabinho to be fit along with Henderson in midfield. If Thiago unable to start it will be Keita. If Fab also out then Milner will come in surely. Vital few days ahead on injury front.

IrishCan likes this.
  3. PureKlaas

PureKlaas
    Expand Collapse

It's a tough one at centre half. Konate has been getting the nod in the bigger games especially in Europe but his mistake on Sunday and overall performance favours Matip. Especially given Konate's age and need for experience against a top team. Overall I don't think there's that much between them and I won't be worrying about either over the other as long as Virgil plays!

I'm hoping both Fabinho and Thiago are fit. Does anyone know if we have a behind-closed-doors game lined up this week? In 2019 we flew Benfica's B team to Marbella just before the final and Pep Ljinders coached them to play like Spurs with specific players taking on the roles of Kane and Eriksen to prepare different situations.

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I honestly don't have a preference between Matip or Konate for this one but I think the chances of Konates mistake on Sunday having any influence on the decision is very unlikely. Its just not how Klopp operates. I'm pretty certain that Klopp knew who's be starting this one before a ball was kicked on Sunday and that's who will start. I've no clue who that's going to be though.

With so little recovery time for this one I'd be surprised if there's a behind closed doors friendly organised.

PureKlaas likes this.
  5. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Going by this month's fixture pile up I'd say he reckons 6 days must feel like a mini pre season

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Oh definitely,but the recovery time is badly needed and it's short compared to the break we had between the end of the season and the Spurs CL final,when we did organise that friendly.

mushypea likes this.
  7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I think we will lose if both Thiago and Fab play. Starting 2 players that aren't fully fit won't work and never has. A fit Curtis Jones or Harvey Elliott is better than a 75% fit Thiago. I'd be keeping Milner back to close out the game or take a penalty.

The last final had Bobby and Kane impersonating ghosts on a football pitch. All the sports science and clubs and countries still field lads who think they're fine. A McGrath or Terry type player might get by but our system is about fine details, being half a yard out of position can kill us. I really hope we have learned from the mistakes of others.

8. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I think Fabinho is fine, will be fit to play, so that leaves Thiago. If I had to guess given it is achilles, if it was just a strain and he responds to treatment and physio he could be fine, if he starts his fitness won't be a question. I think he is more like to be on the bench though.

Alisson

Trent Virgil Matip Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Keita

Salah Mane Diaz

bobby benitez, mushypea and babbsnads like this.
  9. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Biggest issue most teams have with dealing with Madrid has been Benzema's movement coupled with the pace of Vinicus, then Modric and Kroos pulling the strings to feed them. Ancelloti is a very shrewed manager and knows a thing or two about getting results against us, be that a draw or win.
    We need a full 100mph game from the lads to keep them on the back foot. Only fear on that front is fatigue.
    Salah seems to be targeting this game with special intent so hopefully he bags a hattrick.
    Konate tends to get the nod over Joel when Klopp is worried more about the pace of the attack. I would go with Matip personally as his positioning is better and he takes the ball forward better. Still wouldn't be disappointed to see big Ibra in though.

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Defo would go with Matip. Konate has been really good however Matip hasn’t put a foot wrong all season. I just don’t see Thiago starting unfortunately, hopefully he makes the bench. Diaz defo ahead of Jota

Alisson
    Trent, Matip, VVD, Robbo
    Fabinho
    Henderson, Kieta
    Salah, Mane Diaz

3-0 romp for the reds. Real have had some serious luck to get this stage.

11. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

His full strength Everton team which cost a few bob couldn't beat our under 16s. Fuck him and fuck Madrid too. Their luck against us over the last few years be it shit the bed keepers or midfielders and kids playing center back is about to run out.

12. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Anyone expecting some of the "black arts"
    Think they'll have a go at winding up Salah Manè or Kieta with a view to getting a red.
    Need to be disciplined and keep our heads

13. REDHEART

REDHEART
    Expand Collapse

Yes I would agree on Matip, I think he is an outstanding player. And as you mentioned he rarely puts a foot wrong if ever. Plus his experience. Konate has been excellent. But Matip just edges it for me.

GaryMc likes this.
  14. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

Would love a handy, stress-free win...that is all

15. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Serious question, when was our last one of those? I went through them all on here before Fa Cup final and we didn't have one final this century when were weren't comfortably there with 15 mins to go. In that time we've played teams like Birmingham, Alaves, Moscow, West Ham, Cardiff and Flamengo, teams you'd think we should've comfortably breezed passed.

16. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Madrid will be pinging balls in behind us all night especially down Trents side.

17. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Real are a serious side and no pushovers, absolutely. And given the amount of games we've had and the fight we've had to put up right to the end and going all the way in the domestic cups, that improves Real's chances in terms of us being physically and mentally tired and having a few injuries.

But also serious question, if this team of seasoned winners were to have come up against who you've listed in Birmingham, Alaves, Moscow, West Ham, Cardiff or Flamengo in a final now, what do you think would be the result? It's not comparing like with like. We didn't have the quality of player and we didn't have the experience of being in, what, 8 cup finals in the last 6 years, this being the 9th. Look at the team sheets of those finals against the team sheet now.

18. zamaguire

zamaguire
    Expand Collapse

Fab and Gomez training today. No sign of Thiago

Skintown Red likes this.
  19. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

20. babbsnads

babbsnads