This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

If you've a PermanentTSB Current Account, then watch out .. charges on th way !!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Garrett, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

honald_tdb likes this.
  2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Didn't know, that, I think I'll be going elsewhere.

3. mark buckley

mark buckley
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Got that letter on Friday...time to move on!!
    Is ulster bank the best option?

4. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Got the letter too had a look. People were saying KBC was best. Once there is 2.5k lodged into your a/c a month there is no fee. But it’s a cashless back and not even sure if you can lodge a chq?

As the interest rates are nearly 0% think I’ll just keep 2.5k in my PTSB a/c at all times to avoid thus charge.

5. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I've two accounts, one with AIB for the Mortage and one with Ulster Bank for my personal use. Ulster bank were great, but over the past few years they have become quiet poor. Just look at the news, and any time there is a issue with banks, Ulster bank is always the bank which is mentioned, whether it be with peoples wages not going in etc.

AIB are fairly good I have to say. Been with them 3 years and haven't had a issue with the joint account. Also because we have our mortgage with them, we don't seem to pay any fees each month.

6. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Personally I think peoplle should look at how these banks behaved during and after the recession. PTSB were a disgrace, really fucked families over on variable rates that couldn't move.

Garrett and DalglishGold like this.
  7. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I'm with BoI but I'm considering moving to N26.
    Only ever hear positive things about it.

8. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Moved lock, stock and barrel from Bank of Ireland to Ulster Bank about 5 years. Best decision I ever made. Definitely has been some IT system issues but for customer service, found them great.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'm with Ulster Bank myself and have been since Halifax closed down what must have been near on 10 years ago now, it was the Visa debit card which was not widely available at the time that drew me into both. I have to say that I like the way Ulster Bank operate their fees, you get a flat charge regardless of how often you use it. There's undoubtedly been IT issues but only the major one of 5 or so years ago actually impacted me and it only meant it couldn't accurately see how much money I had available. I've a mortgage with AIB and the miserable feckers wouldn't even let us have two fee free accounts so my missus took that and I stuck with UB almost on principle over how littkr AIB would do for us considering how much they're making on the bloody mortgage.

If I was a little more comfortable with the idea of a purely online bank I'd move more to Revolut but the ludite in me still appreciates the brick and mortar approach for now.

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I still haven't got a letter, is that a good thing?

11. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i didnt get a letter last time and was never charged.
    Not kicking in till 1st April.

12. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

Ive two accounts with PTSB and only received one letter (to our joint account)
    No letter received about my personal account

13. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Same with me.

14. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

In my professional life, I've had to deal with the fall-out of this. I moved my mortgage from permanent tsb on principle after one such story. It mightn't seem much to them but it made me feel better.

They are vultures - as bad as any sub-prime lender. And we bailed them out.

15. mark buckley

mark buckley
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

What’s the alternative?

16. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I worked with a lad that had a mortgage with them. His went from about €400 less per month to €400 more than me in the space of about 2 years through rate hikes. I had a tracker with EBS and he was on a variable with PTSB, its no exaggeration to say they nearly killed him. When Tom Dunne was on the radio with his happy voice advertising how great they were with there free banking it used to make want to puke.

Between myself and the missus we seem to be charged about €40 per qtr with AIB, while no saints themselves I'd much rather pay them and take services for free off that other shower.

Stevie S and DalglishGold like this.
  18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

A coupe of points in response to various comments and questions above:

Ulster Bank, Bank of Ireland and AIB have all suffered from IT problems over the years and it's been well publicised, it wasn't just Ulster that caused headaches for people. A quick bit of research on google will confirm that all three have given their customers problems, on a few occassions over the last five years. The Bottom line is that none of the retail banks in Ireland invested in IT for many years due to lack of funding during the years when the made losses, along with lack of decent foresight.

Much of this is down to what you want - do you want a retail bank with branches around the country, or are you happy with just an online bank (which may be cashless, or provide a more limited range of services) ? Do you want the bank with the lowest charges (which may come with restrictions, be it in terms of what you want to be able to do, access to staff when you may need them etc. ? There are arguments for and against all of the Banks really, so it's a case of find the one that ticks the most boxes for you. For me, Ulster Bank were on the radar as they provide full banking services, and I've had an account there for a while now and am happy, think their App is quite good etc. That said, you don't get free banking where you might at EBS (albeit, a far less range of services etc.). Websites such as AskAboutMoney.com and Bonkers will help you with the comparisons.

Just because you haven't got a letter, doesn't mean that they didn't send you one, or that your's just hasn't been posted yet .... if you've free banking with them, get them to confirm they will continue to provide it, and on what conditions, for how long etc.

One thing for sure, PermanentTSB score badly, when it's on the value for money, range of services, or quality app and online services ... so moving makes a hell of a lot of sense imho. While your at it, also check the interest rates and charges on any other facilities you have with them, because generally they do poorly in the ratings across various price comparison websites etc.

honald_tdb likes this.
  19. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Ulster Bank introducing a raft of charges unless you have 3k in your account

20. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

Cheque's can be lodged I can confirm. Bane of my life.