This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by flies, Jul 25, 2016.

1. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

A good signing if he brings some of the home form he had with him in Newcastle, but im wondering where is he going to fit in our first 11 ? Or will he ?

The Hurrikane likes this.
  2. The Hurrikane

The Hurrikane
    Expand Collapse

Really think hel be a great asset. Can see him playing more attscking of a midfield 3. We've some great options now and he covers even more positions than the versatile lallana but shows more end product in final third

Klopp has clearly identified during reign that we were lacking pace , signings of Wiji and Mane highlight this,

Looking forward to seeing them getting up n running

3. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

Very happy with this signing. Versatility is key and this lad can play all across the midfield and I feel is an upgrade in lallana who just doesn't have enough quality imo

4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

A very good question ....

It's a lot of money to have spent, for him to be a squad player, when we still need better players for some of our first eleven positions and yet, I'm struggling to see him replace one of the current lads (unless we're about to lose Coutinho or something - which I seriously hope ain't the case).

Sure, I take Maverick's point about what he thinks about Lallana but I tought he was doing well under Klopp and don't see Wijnaldum as being much better myself (albeit, he's got the advantage of being a few years younger).

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I normally wouldn't have seen enough of a player from a club lower down with only 1 season in the league to have much of an opinion but there was only a couple of games under Benitez I didn't watch and saw them a few times before he arrived.And I agree with you pal,I've seen nothing that would convince me this lad is definitely an upgrade on anybody in our first 11. His goal tally is reasonably impressive but the team was set up in a way to make him their main goal threat so a direct comparison with players like Lallana doesn't tell you as much as it might suggest. He could be a superstar for us but I can't help thinking that some people's certainty about him isn't actually based on watching him a lot.

Garrett likes this.
  6. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

If he can chip in with 10+ goals this season he will be a great addition to the squad, the ballerina won't score that many.

7. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I take your point mate, but lets not forget what Lallana did for his previous club.... for 2 out of 3 seasons, he got 10 or more (assuming the goal info on Wiki is right). I think we've seen the best of Lallana in a LFC shirt, since Klopp came in, so I'm a bit slower to write him off on the goal scoring issue tbh.

So is it then a question of Lallana getting older and thats why we've brought Wijnaldum in to replace him ?

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

No doubt 10+ goals will be a very good addition but I've seen nothing to make me very confident that will happen.He got 11 in a team set up to make him it's main goal threat,fair play but that won't be the case with us.Lallana does a lot that Klopp really likes in a player so I wouldn't automatically say Wijnaldum will replace him."Anywhere in the 2 or 3 in a 4-3-2-1 or anywhere in the 3 in a 4-3-3".Lallana could very well be the man to lose out but he could just as easily not be.I also dont see a price tag guaranteeing anybody a start either.My gut feeling is the team we see start the first game will be a familiar one with the new signings well outnumbered.From there it's up to anybody starting to keep that spot,and anybody not to force their way in.This season will see a level of competition for places we've not seen in a long time.

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Lallana is a terrible finisher, if wijnaldum gets the amount of chances this season that lallana did last season he'll score his fair share.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I've never been too worried about players missing chances.As Garrett said Lallana has has done better with chances in the past hitting double figures(which proves he can and probably also proves that there's no guarantee Wijnaldums finishing will hold up after a big move to a bigger club)and him getting into positions leaves a lot more potential for goals than say a player who doesn't get himself in to as many good positions but has a better conversion rate(I don't know if that's Wijnaldum by the way).I think Suarez is a good example of that,he missed a hell of a lot of chances in his first 18 months and it was a widely held opinion that he could never be a 20 goal a season striker for us (people forget that).But his confidence went up and he started taking more of those chances.Lallana getting into double figures for us next season wouldn't suprise me at all and if he adds more goals he's a certain starter as Klopp is a big fan of a lot of the other things he brings to the table.Again I genuinely don't care who starts the first game of the season,I just wouldn't be so sure it will be Lallana losing out to Wijnaldum.

11. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

Thats true IF he could one thing with the signing of Mane & Wijnaldum maybe even Grujic, Klopp is trying to spread the love goal wise, if they get even 10 goals apiece combine that with our current crop getting likewise we'd be 20+ up on last yr that could get alot of points over the course of a season.

Garrett likes this.
  12. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I dont think we'll be lossing Coutinho this summer bar a bit of click bait stuff at the start of this window nobody worthy has ever mentioned it so cant see the club entertaining one bit now. If anyone should be worried bout he's position with Wijnaldum arriving i think it may be Hendo, he defo does'nt score enough goals from MF imo that what Klopp wants, possibly we could be seeing Can in the DM role with Wijnaldum playing next to him in the CM role but in a more advanced role. Lallana should be worried about Mane arrival than anyone else as he'd defo taking he's spot.

13. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I don't think Klopp thinks of any midfielder in what we have become to know as the DM role but more like the older traditional midfield were if one of the central midfield players went forward then the other covered. You may well have players with the natural trait of sitting more and the other more wanting to get forward but it was never a defined role and both were expected to be able to go both ways.

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Good point.

We'll discuss Hendo more in is own thread though, me thinks ;)

15. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

Solid game yesterday more the 2nd half then the first got a assist for Lallana goal aswell good involement in the build up to Coutinho 2nd goal. I think he'll do more when Can is playing as he'll push up more leaving Can to do the DM role more.

16. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Best game so far , can see him getting better as he settles in

17. stevieg

stevieg
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Very early doors so have no opinion on this guy yet.

Based on his previous clubs he seems to be able to score goals and chip in with a few assists. You would assume based on that he would be better further forward.

I know Klopp said he can play anywhere, was reading what Rafa said on him as well and he said something similar but felt number 10 may be his best position.

Be interesting to see how he plays and what position he ends up in.

18. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

When Origi got injured he seemed to have more of license to play further forward and even though it was only for a short time it looked like this is were GIni needs to play. He can be anonymous otherwise if recent performances are anything to go by.

19. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Very impressed by the graft he put in tonight. With that and his ability for goals and assists it looks like we have a player

20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

My man of the match tonight, excellent from start to finish.