This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

FA Cup Shrewsbury v Liverpool Jan 26th @ 5pm

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by Skintown Red, Jan 25, 2020.

1. petevans

petevans
    Expand Collapse

And if it was deemed a free outside the box he would have been sent off as denying a goalscoring opportunity.

On the topic of the replay date, why wouldn't we play it the friday night 21st Feb? 3 days after Atletico and 3 days before west ham. We could still play fringe players but at least it wouldn't interfere with the winter break.

2. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

Shrewbury have a game on the 22nd.

3. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

That's embarrassing and I don't mean Lovern.

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I watched that table tennis game and all I could think was how Mo Salah was hogging the table and wouldnt let Mane or Firmino play.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm still a bit all over the place on Klopps stance. I'd really like to go through to the next round but I also want him to do what he feels is best for Liverpool. I've always taken a dim view of managers complaining about fixture scheduling because clubs bring a lot of it on themselves out of greed but this is different. He's gone to the owners,complained to them and they're backing him here so theres a lot of other managers who should be thanking us. This is the type of action that makes those in charge sit up and take notice and it shows up their winter break for the token gesture it was because their greed comes ahead of what's right too. What I really hope doesn't happen is that they don't screw the lower league clubs with their solution by doing away with replays.

6. mighty magpie

mighty magpie
    Expand Collapse

I've heard of the new rule but don't think i fully understand it.

How come the lad got sent off for the city penalty yesterday?

7. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Wasn't Lovern in Grey's Anatomy or Scrubs? Gets an awful hard time on here for some reason

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I have seen something about it before and I think it comes down to whether the referee deems that the player was making a genuine attempt to play the ball rather than just hacking the player down to prevent a goal scoring opportunity.

mighty magpie likes this.
  9. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

I didnt see any other incidents and am no expert on the rules. Below from BBC:

The previous 'triple-punishment' rule required a red card - and therefore a suspension - as well as the award of a penalty under those circumstances.

However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.

But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.

10. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

I haven't read the rule but I think deliberate foul is taken into account for a red as well. Laroucci deemed to have tried to play the ball but the Fulham player didn't

11. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

It had been brewing. Jurgen Klopp has been complaining about fixture congestion repeatedly this season. The exasperated Liverpool manager has been bemoaning the crowded calendar which he believes places unfair demands on his elite talent.
    “I speak about it and no-one will listen. It’s like the biggest waste of time ever,” he said at the club’s training ground recently. “They’ll say the moaner from Liverpool or whatever is at it again. But it’s about the players, not one second about me. There are so many things to sort but all these guys (the governing bodies) never find time to sit around one table and make a general schedule. All these different games to play and no break for the players. And if you have a break don’t make a replay in this break. This would help massively.”
    Having felt like he was banging his head against a brick wall, Klopp has now decided to take a stand. His post-match declaration that Liverpool will play “the kids” in their FA Cup fourth round replay against Shrewsbury Town at Anfield wasn’t an idle threat or an emotional reaction to a wretched second-half performance after seeing his much-changed side throw away a 2-0 lead.
    Instead it was a public declaration of a plan carefully agreed with Liverpool’s American owners behind the scenes last week in the event of their clash at New Meadow ending in stalemate. Klopp told Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon that he believed it was vital that all his senior players were given the full week’s rest he had promised them during the inaugural Premier League winter break regardless of the club’s ongoing participation in the FA Cup.
    Earlier this month Klopp informed his squad that there would be no warm weather training camp and they could make plans to go away for seven days with their families to recharge their batteries following next Saturday’s visit of Southampton to Anfield. They will each be given individually tailored training programmes.
    The club’s owners were supportive – backing the manager’s belief that it’s the best policy to maximise Liverpool’s chances of not only winning the Premier League title but also retaining the Champions League. Liverpool’s hierarchy share Klopp’s opinion that it’s ridiculous that the replay, which will take place at Anfield on February 4 or 5, falls within the winter break which the Football Association fought long and hard to be introduced in order to bolster England’s chances when it comes to major tournaments.
    As a result Klopp will deliver the ultimate snub by not even managing the team himself. That duty will fall to under-23s coach Neil Critchley. Liverpool’s stance is that this is a problem of the FA’s own making and that if any damage is done to the competition’s credibility then the buck stops with the organisers.
    When Liverpool were forced to field a youth team in the quarter-finals of the Carabao Cup against Aston Villa in December – 24 hours before the Club World Cup semi-final against Monterrey in Qatar – there was no shortage of sympathy for their predicament.
    However, this is different and the prospect of a similar line-up walking out at Anfield will undoubtedly divide opinion. This is the FA Cup and Liverpool effectively shunning a shot at replicating Manchester United’s historic treble triumph of 1999.
    Many Liverpool supporters will back Klopp to the hilt. After all he could hardly have much more credit in the bank. They are champions of Europe, champions of the world and Premier League champions elect. Some will argue that the FA Cup, a distant third in the club’s list of priorities, has long since lost its sparkle. The array of empty seats, the horrendously staggered schedule, so many top-flight teams effectively fielding second-string teams and holding the semi-finals at Wembley certainly add weight to that argument.
    But for others this decision won’t sit right. Aside from accusations of disrespecting the competition, the seven-times winners have a handful of senior stars who would arguably benefit from getting another runout. Dejan Lovren, Joel Matip and Fabinho all looked horribly rusty on their return to the starting line up against Shrewsbury after injury lay-offs.
    That trio have hardly been overworked this season with Fabinho, who was sidelined for two months, playing 1,033 top-flight minutes. Lovren has clocked up just 670 minutes and Matip 630 minutes. Divock Origi (423 minutes), Adam Lallana (337 minutes), Naby Keita (197 minutes) and Xherdan Shaqiri (175 minutes) have featured to an even lesser degree.
    Klopp spoke about a letter Liverpool received from the Premier League in April 2019 “asking us to respect the winter break and not to organise international friendlies or competitive games so we’ll respect that”.
    The FA for their part insist that before the start of the season all top-flight clubs were notified that if they were involved in fourth-round replays they would have a shortened winter break so it shouldn’t have come as a surprise to Liverpool that their time between Premier League matches could be reduced to 10 days. Those clubs not involved in replays will get at least 13 days off.
    Klopp has been a vocal advocate of scrapping replays and giving lower division teams home advantage in the FA Cup with penalty shootouts if ties are level after 90 minutes. But try selling that idea to the thousands of jubilant Shrewsbury fans who invaded the pitch at the final whistle on Sunday. Their joy was centred around the fact they had secured what for some will be a once in a lifetime chance to watch their team walk out at Anfield.
    For the Shrewsbury manager Sam Ricketts, there’s also the financial repercussions of taking Liverpool to a second game. He says the cash will enable them to purchase video analysis equipment and install better drainage for their training pitches. There’s life outside the Premier League bubble.
    Including the Community Shield and the Super Cup, Liverpool have played 38 games in all competitions already this season. Shrewsbury, who have a considerably smaller squad, have played 36 matches.
    Klopp hasn’t had much of an affinity with the FA Cup during his time in England. This is his fifth campaign and, remarkably, Liverpool have yet to progress past the fourth round. He has always made wholesale changes and over the years has used the competition to give debuts to rookies such as Tiago Ilori, Sheyi Ojo, Ryan Kent, Kevin Stewart, Joe Maguire, Harry Wilson, Curtis Jones, Rafael Camacho, Ki-Jana Hoever, Yasser Larouci and Nathaniel Phillips.
    Liverpool needed a replay to get past Exeter City in 2015-16 before bowing out to West Ham in the fourth round. The following season they scrapped past Plymouth Argyle after two games and then lost at home to then Championship outfit Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Two years ago Klopp’s men beat Everton before being defeated by West Bromwich Albion at Anfield. Last season they fell at the first hurdle at Molineux. After the cherished Merseyside derby victory in the last round, Sunday’s error-strewn display at Shrewsbury created a headache Liverpool could have done without.
    The fact that Klopp introduced Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino off the bench late on laid bare his burning desire to settle the tie at the first attempt. He didn’t want it to come to this.
    But for Klopp there are simply bigger fish to fry with the Champions League last-16 tie with Atletico Madrid on the horizon. He intends to stick to his guns, no matter what the fallout.
    “You cannot deal with us like nobody cares about it. I know that it’s not very popular but that’s the way I see it,” he says. “The Premier League asked us to respect the winter break. That’s what we do. If the FA doesn’t respect that, then we cannot change it. We will not be there.“
    Klopp could have played it down. He could have said he hadn’t made his mind up about the replay yet. But clearly he wanted to get it out in the open. He wanted to make his point. In his eyes, enough is enough.
    It is the biggest snub delivered to the FA Cup since Manchester United opted not to take part back in 1999-2000 so that they could compete in the Club World Championship in Brazil.
    Liverpool Under-23s will face Shrewsbury Town for a place in the last 16. No matter where your loyalties lie, that simply can’t be right.

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

How come Luiz was sent off for Arsenal during the week then?

13. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Your closing point about the smaller clubs possibly losing out, if a very good one.

As for the remainder of the issue, the solution is quite simple for me - if the owners want us playing more games, across more competitions, then they provide a bigger, stronger squad, to facilitate more rotation and rest periods for players.

14. Sib

Sib
    Expand Collapse

Why does everything for you, have to be brought back to the owners spending money?

And I'm pretty sure it was widely reported at the start of the season, that the owners placed very little value on both domestic cup comps and would prefer to fully concentrate on league and champions league.

Skintown Red, babbsnads and Niall like this.
  15. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

It was a triple punishment as the ref gave them a peno when it should have been a freekick so i think its fair to say the ref was a bit clueless of the rules.

16. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

When we likely to get confirmation of the date of the replay? Am I right in thinking who ever broadcast the first game
    gets first dibs at picking the replay?

17. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

I'm with the gaffer on this 100% no black or white
    They have an agreed winter break and the fa can go and fcuk the replay
    If we go out fielding the kids so what
    When we win the league in may I wont give this a second thought

Joedared and vodkacolly like this.
  18. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

VAR would have saved his ineptitude, pity it wasnt available for that

19. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Im clueless here, what was the triple punishment?
    By triple punishment they mean peno,red card and suspension.

20. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Didn't attempt to play the ball I suppose