This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I can't wait to see the protests when they start selecting sites to house these 14k people :)

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I can't wait to see where they're going to get all the construction workers from, it'll probably be the lads they're building them for.

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The state pays a premium, its guaranteed and then you've the 1000 different ways that developers find to bleed more money out of any state project. Of all the issues the government will have getting this done, I don't think finding people to build them will be an issue.

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I won't hold my breath, they were talking about doing all this 2 years ago.
    There must be elections coming up..

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure building anything for immigrants is going to score points for anyone!

babbsnads likes this.
  7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm not saying it will happen, but it will if they really want it to.

8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I think saying they're going to continue with the current practice of putting people in to existing buildings and hotels is going to hurt existing councillors in the local elections.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Governments pay their bills regardless, it's a good business plan to go after state contracts. They're usually poorly written too enabling the builders to tag on whatever they want. If it is pursued it will be built.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Apparently there's a massive scandal about to come out about a high profile politician in the north.

On what may or may not be an unrelated note, all of Jeffrey Donaldsons social media has been deleted.

11. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

13. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Hmmmmm sadly used his power and influence to get away with it so long. What happened here is shocking and probably on power with Adams not blabbing about his nonce brother..
    But with what is in news today.. I've been told buckle up

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Just heard the news about Joe kinnear.
    RIP.

Tarabuses likes this.
  15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

https://x.com/TheStalwart/status/1777974526413873183

No matter what the industry is, there's always shortcuts being taken somewhere. And what comes out is only ever the tip of the iceberg. There's billions and billions of forms out there confirming checks or tests were carried out, that weren't carried out properly or carried out at all. 99.99% of it will never impact on anybody but no industry can completely eliminate issues caused by human nature.

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

What's going on with this Newstalk journalist who lost his phone, I can't find anything definitive online but heard a lad on the train yesterday telling his mate it was the smoking gun they needed on mainstream media and the far left.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The nutters either found or robbed a phone from that journalist. It wasn't locked, and they found he had numbers and conversations with people they consider to be far left. He's a Newstalk journalist so of course he'll have numbers and conversations with left wing people on the media circuit. He'll also have the same for people on the right,that's standard. Where it gets strange is, Gript say Newstalk confirmed to them that he was working undercover. But he's a well known journalist turning up at protests. He wasn't in disguise or anything,he was out in the open covering what was happening,so I don't understand it. Maybe the Ireland is Full lads will let us know what the smoking gun is soon.

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I had to go out to clare hall last week and drove past where the coolock locals are protesting, looked fairly peaceful to me.

19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I guess when you've moved that far out of the mainstream into the world of outright conspiracy theorists everything that you want to be a smoking gun starts to look like one.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Hugh Grant was suing The S#n for hacking his phone,tapping his landline,bugging his car,illegally accessing his medical records,burglarising his home and office and other shit. It's taken years to get to the point where its about to go to trial, and now they've offered him what he describes as a huge sum to settle. He says he'd rather go to court than settle,but this is the fucked up bit. Even if he wins, if the award is even a penny less than what they're offering now as a settlement,then he's liable for both sides legal costs. His lawyers say that's the likely outcome, so winning would cost him about 10 million. Yet another example of the whole fucking system is rigged.

GaryMc and bobby benitez like this.