This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Do You Like Your Job

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by babbsnads, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

That's actually the course that I did too, I was the first year they did so a we were a bit of a test group but it was a decent course. The great thing about HR is that it's fluid to what industry you work in. I work in Retail now but because of the type of work I do I could easily go to Tech company, Financial or Banking or anything really.

If there is ever anything I can help you with just drop me a PM on here and I can give you my email address and I'd be happy to help.

Skintown Red and LFCToohey like this.
  2. LFCToohey

LFCToohey
    Expand Collapse

Ye absolutely the options are great. Ye cool thanks very much mate.

3. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Feels like a Working From Home kinda day :cool:

4. RedRuairi

RedRuairi
    Expand Collapse

Do I love my job? - no but it pays well for a guy who's a spark by trade but in IT for the last 10yrs+. The money is the main motivating factor as it allows me to travel the world doing what I love - hiking, mountaineering etc.....(an expensive hobby). Would ideally like to work in the outdoor industry but it would be a huge drop in salary. Suppose I am a "Work to live" not "live to work" person. It's all about finding the correct work/life balance. My job could be worse but it could probably be a whole lot better too :)

(I see folks around the office who's sole purpose is to serve the customer, sometimes to the detriment of their own private lives - relationships breaking up while trying to chase that promotion, late nights, weekends etc........ - career chasers: Not for me, thanks - I'll do my job to the best of my ability but not interested in climbing the corporate ladder - IMO, there's a lot more to life)

Niall, Stevie S and Dub13 like this.
  5. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

Lucky that I love my job. Moved over here almost 3 years ago and really enjoy it. I don't like every aspect of it but I never wake up in the morning not wanting to go to work.

Stevie S likes this.
  6. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Don't hate it, don't like it much either. Considering leaving for months now, going to a meeting at 2pm and they are closing 45 per cent of the branches. So prob be offered a fairly decent redundancy package which I will take and move on and do something else..

Stevie S likes this.
  7. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I'm good at my job and it pays the bills but can't say if I won the lotto I would be in here.

8. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Smug bastard...

bobby benitez likes this.
  9. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

:D:D:D

10. wertyu

wertyu
    Expand Collapse

Been working since I was 15yrs old, served my apprenticeship until I was in early teens taught I'd be there doing construction till my end of days, then came my last week and the boss rang me to meet me to sack me took me about a week to understand why, reasoning was wasn't prepared to pay me top wages this was back in the boom time. (Prick) that was when I realised I am on my own in this big bad world of Schisters. Decided there & then do I really want to be in this industry working with guys in their early forties in early stages of arthritis working in the lashings of rain outdoors in the depths of December, fuck did I done a complete career change done a logistical course for 8months and worked hard to get where I am today. That's in a semi state company, pensionable & well looked after, position I am in is stressful but still always learning which I enjoy. My only one regret is that I never got to travel before the kids came along but hey still worked out ok.

bobby benitez likes this.
  11. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

Am I in the minority when I say I don't think I would give up work if I won the lotto?

12. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

I would think so. at least people's current line of work I'm sure

Con likes this.
  13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I would have to do something with my time so would likely be involved in something but I wouldn't be boxed into a 9-5 ever again if I won the lotto. If you would be staying in your current role after a lotto win in the same circumstances you are truly blessed in how much you love your job.

Jesus I sound like some sort of religious zealot there "truly blessed"

Con likes this.
  14. MR KING KENNY

MR KING KENNY
    Expand Collapse

I was a tiler since 18, loved my job, the money was good and the days flew in. In 2004 I decided to work for myself, with construction booming I was was able to get myself 2 sites to work on which lasted over 5 years. Life was great back then.
    Then came the rescission and fuck me my life went crazy. From making an average of 2k a week to nothing was unreal, so much stress. When the sites were gone i had to tryn work in peoples home which i hated, I had to lower my price to nothing to secure a job as there was so much competition to get work.
    I decided to change work and went for a factory job. That was a joke, everyone working there were like robots, and so much blackmail if you said i cant do that.
    Fuck that i said, I thought long and hard about my next move, so I decided to give college a go, and tbh it was the best choice ive made in my life, I studied appiled social studies which in the end got me a job in social care. I love working in this industry. Its a job for life, and really enjoy working with the kids in care, such a rewarding job.
    Anyone here young or old thats thinking about going to college should do it.

15. Brendinho

Brendinho
    Expand Collapse

I mostly like my job...the downsides are that I work 12 hour shifts both days and nights, which is getting harder and harder as the years go by. I find that I only get 3 or 4 hours' sleep after a night shift and I'm wrecked for a couple of days after. The upsides include the pay, job security (I'm a civil servant), and being off a lot during the week means I don't have to have my children in a creche, we just use a childminder a couple of times a week so as well as saving money, I get to be around and watch 'em grow up and all that good stuff. Also, it's less than 25 minutes away so I don't have to suffer commuting issues.

GaryMc, MR KING KENNY and Stevie S like this.