This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

running thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SUPERFAN, Mar 14, 2013.

1. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

A long way to go, but managed a 30km (18.5 miles) slow run yesterday. Did the hill of howth in first half and dollymount strand in second half, so was happy enough to be able to increase splits(marginly) a bit in second half of run. Ran an average of 5:58 purposely, though managed to increase to 4:18 for last km. Still a long way off I know but happy enough the legs kept going after hill. Tired today, but not in bits. I will take a rest today maybe run 7m tomorrow to work.:I'm sort of loosely following a couple of plans but have to be flexible as work can be unpredictable and though looks like many weeks I'll do well to get out max 4 times. I hope I can get the distance but I think Ill need 2 or 3 more 20 milers. Have one in the bank from 2 weeks ago but I found that one very tough, though I stupidly did it without bringing any fluids, as it was an unplanned one on way home from work without any foreplanning which won't happen again. You live and learn I guess.

Dub13 and maloneavic like this.
  2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

If you were able to throw in a fast km at the back end of a 30km run that's a very good sign @megager , fair play.

megager likes this.
  3. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

You did 20 miles with no fluids? That is not clever or good for you..

megager likes this.
  4. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Not only that it was incredibly stupid of me. I decided to run home, planning to do about 15 km, but got carried away, and had the dumb idea to turn it into a long run. Of all people I should know better. I was dehydrated by end. I could have done irreversible damage and it would have been my own fault.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  5. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Thanks superfan.
    I'm not going to get carried away, lots of work to do. I'd say its the next 12 km that are the killer so I still am in fear of bridging that gap. I was happy enough with how I hydrated and managed nutrition though its a steep learning curve. My aim is to finish, I'm not even contemplating times as this is a once off bucket list thing for me. I've put myself in wave 3, so if I do it in less than 4 1/2 hours id be happy. That way I'll just keep it slow for as long as I can and not put myself under pressure

6. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

You wouldn't have done irreversable damage in fairness but it is a lot of strain on your system. Basically a 3 hour run when you shouldn't be running more than an hour without taking on fluids.

7. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

@megager we have a 2 mile race on every Tuesday in Raheny, the shorter fast stuff can be great. Its open to non club members.

8. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

That sounds like great fun. What time is that on?

9. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Registration is from 19:15 in the club house, they are 7 euro a race. Think there is 3/4 left in this summer series. I will be down next Tuesday if you want to pop along. A very mixed standard as you can see from the results of yesterdays race...

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?p=487

10. Chambers

Chambers
    Expand Collapse

Frank Duffy 10 Mile in the park Saturday. Anybody doing it?

11. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes I am. Looking forward to it.

12. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Was some rain at the Race Series 10 mile today.

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Was out around 8 this morning and the rain and wind was unreal. Nice getting in a long one done in those conditions.

14. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Sure is, its grand if your not wet before getting going but we were pissed on right from getting out of the car. Standing around in the rain is not ideal, happy enough with my time of 75 min but I had an amateur mistake...

[​IMG]

15. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yikes nightmare Paul. I've never bled but a few shirts do hurt the old nips so I'll be avoiding those on marathon day.

Got out for an lsr yesterday. Twas tough. Managed 37.6km, 22.86 miles in 3:33. Went up the coast road to howth in second half today so happy legs managed it in second half compared to first last week. Not a great pace but as its all uncharted territory for me I'm reluctant to try to take too many risks. Last km today was 5:08 so definitely the extra kms meant i did nt have a sub 5 mins km at that stage. Dunno how im going to get the extra 5km as it was tough for last 3-4, though I had upped the pace a bit. maybe adrenaline will help. I dont think ill go that far again before the 30th, maybe 1/2 more 32 km and 2 30s.

Happy enough with how i used gels and drinks tho and that's as much as I was hoping to find out really.

16. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Be carefully @megager its not the done thing to have 2 long runs back to back like that on weekends, most people would have a step back long run after doing a big one.

megager likes this.
  17. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yes, good advice. Think I'm suffering a bit from plantar fasciitis. Have run a few days this week but might rest tomorrow

18. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

Did my longest run at the weekend. Ran 12km in 59.59! My goal was 5min/km. Just made it. The last one had to be 4.30 but I got there. I was happy enough with that considering I weigh over 100kgs. It was 24 degrees at 9am. I weighed myself before and after and lost 2.2kgs

Dub13, GaryMc and megager like this.
  19. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Fair play.

Ramped my own this last few weeks. Using the Run Keeper Go app it gives you specific plan and really helped. Up to 12k now twice a week in about 1 hour 2 mins so delighted with that. do that along with 1 6k at the weekend plus one Astro a week.

If only now I avoid pints and chocolate I'd be flying ;)

Con likes this.
  20. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

Would you really want to be without the pints and chocolate though!!