This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

SKY Or UPC

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Timemachine, May 21, 2011.

1. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Haven't had 'the channels' in a long time. With Exodus and Sportsmania on kodi I can watch every TV show, movie and sporting event. I actually have all the freeview channels on my TV but I never watch them.

Garrett likes this.
  2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to be dragging this one back from the death but I've just moved into a house which is already fully wired up for Virgin, it would be the easiest thing in the world for me to sign up with them but would I be mad to consider this? I've had sky for a few years and very happy with the service but the hassle of needing to have to get sky out to drill holes in my new house to install their wires is making me have second thoughts especially with the Virgin already fully ready to go and some decent prices on offer too.

Appreciate any feedback on this lads, huge decision to be made on this one!

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi mate,

For me - Sky TV delivers the best quality picture and sound. Virgin are miles ahead for broadband speed obviously. So, perhaps get some services from both (not forgetting about your little kodi device etc. ;))

4. STEVE1978

STEVE1978
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Anyone elses SS1 HD disappear? Have all the others, inc SS1 SD??

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

My Kodi device died on me a few months ago, could never rely on getting a decent stream on it for anything either way.

Only problem with splitting the services is that you end up spending more for everything and I'd still have the hassle of Sky having to fit their cables and dish on the house.

6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

SS1 and some of the other channels have been disappearing from the Sky EPG in recent days (if that's what you are referring to).

The old story.... turn it off and turn it back on, seems to sort it out (and thats from Sky btw ;))

Understand the second point needless to say (and yes, you are most likely right regarding the price issue, but not always as I found when I looked at getting my gas and electricity services a while back).

For me, fitting the dish is no big deal so I would not call it a hassle assuming you are getting an engineer to do the work and not doing it yourself.

I suppose where the dish needs to be located on your house might be a consideration (if your back garden is facing East / South then it's on the back of the house, otherwise, maybe not....)

I don't see why the existing cables can't be replaced, so no need to double up and it's usually easy to pull out the old ones from a hole in the wall, where they are tacked etc. You could also keep in mind that there's often a benefit in replacing old cables with new ones, given new and perhaps more modern cables etc.

As for the Kodi device, is it actually "dead", or is it just not working for you because you can't get any decent streams on it, or get services you are happy with etc ? Obviously the speed of your broadband plays an important part of this, but so does having the right installations etc.

#706 Garrett, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  7. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Is there anyway you can get a sky box and not a subscription to sky? I got internet off eir and got an android box but only got eir cause you get the BT package with it. I was told after I got it that I could only get it on my iPad etc cause I didn't have a tv subscription.

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Ian my understanding of the situation is that you need not only a sky box but you'd also need a sky card because EIR would use that to actually activate the BT on your account. The service for the Ipad and phone is pretty good on it's own but there's no option to cast it to the TV (within my limited technological capabilities anyway).

9. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Eir can now be Chromecast for the last couple months give or take. Happy pit when I found out

10. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

You are able to cast from the eir sport app onto your tv?

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

So it says on the website too, I was convinced a few weeks ago that I had tried everything, was using it on the iPad but that shouldn't have mattered.

https://www.eir.ie/sport/chromecast/

With the green eir Sport app you can "cast" any of the channels in our eir Sport Pack from your phone straight to your TV. That's 7 channels of exciting action including... Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, European Rugby, Allianz Leagues GAA, Formula 1, Boxing and more.

IanoM7 likes this.
  12. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Yeah same as Netflix it's a big plus. I use someone else's licence that has Eir broadband and it's perfect picture uninterrupted

IanoM7 likes this.
  13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

With Virgin and haven't had Tv,phone or broadband since Thursday.They say they need to get onto somebodys property to sort the fault but he's refusing to let them on.This is the second time theres been that exact problem in 3 years and theres been problems with the service for a few months now,it seems every few weeks there's a break in the service for a couple of hours at least.

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

That's a pain in the nuts ... but not your problem and I'd be telling them that in very clear terms.

Obviously, we don't know the background to why they need to get onto someone's property (or why the owner is refusing access), but I thought that they have the right to go get access to their equipment at the front of a house, so I am assuming this must be at the back or something.

Virgin should re-route their cables to side step this house if the owner won't allow them access, not leave their paying customers suffering like they are doing to you mate. Obviously, they don't want to spend the money, but I'd be putting that to them as you need your services restored and to know you can rely on them, not excuses.

babbsnads likes this.
  15. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Is it just affecting you babbs or are your neighbours off also.

16. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

That's headwrecking. I've been with them and Upc before for years and have had excellent service. Broadband can be such a mess in Ireland in different places though

babbsnads likes this.
  17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Its affecting the neighbours too mate.The lad next door works from home and he's going off his tits.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

FFS

Think yourself and the neighbors need to get on to someone senior (not the call center bullsh1t) and give them hell - there's strength in numbers as I'm sure you well know mate.

Maybe try the Boards.ie "Talk to Virgin" team, they seem to have a bit of influence. Failing that, I think a few of you should hop in a car and go down to Virgin's HQ and kick up a rumpus ... it's only down in East Point Business Park, so probably 20 mins away from your part or the world.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

We'll see what happens tomorrow pal.Ideally I'd prefer to know who's house it is and go and have a word there but they won't give out that info.The last time we got our bill half price for that month so I'll be expecting at least that.But if it goes beyond tomorrow I'll be ramping it up in some way,thats for sure.

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Assuming they've told you the truth here, I don't actually think that would be a good call tbh Babbs.

This is down to Virgin and the way they've set your cabling up around the neighborhood. They were supposed to run a line undergroud to the front of each individual house from the road, but sounds like they've pulled a stroke here and kinda daisy chained it from one house to the next instead (meant much less cable to lay, obviously saved time and costs) - so now if one link in the chain gets damaged, the rest lose the service. In the old days with analogue tv that was how the cable tv companies did it, meant regular breakdowns and also, people could easily cut into it and rob the services etc.

As for the one month half price, I'd be thinking 6-12 months half price myself mate - repeat offense, multiple services gone etc. It seems to me that Virgin are a bit like Sky, they'll give better deals to keep you if they think you are leaving them, than just to compensate you when they've royally fuked up.

#720 Garrett, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017