This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

setanta ireland

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by byrnetred, Jul 15, 2009.

1. sean

sean
    Expand Collapse

Was onto them last week about something else and asked them this very question. While not 100% confirmed the guy I was talking to over the phone said that once the channel was up and running it would become available to all ntl customers.

2. south

south
    Expand Collapse

i wonder at what price

3. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Still no word from NTL on this one i presume?

4. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

wasnt it supposed to be launched today in UK???

5. Sim Sala Bim

Sim Sala Bim
    Expand Collapse

ESPN are on the Sky epg 417 and 442 is the HD channel..

6. Raven136

Raven136
    Expand Collapse

and espn classic and espn america are still on sky as well.going to ring and upgrade this evening

7. fermoyred80

fermoyred80
    Expand Collapse

Got a letter from setanta ireland this morning.16 euro a month for next season. Think ill be cancelling it and getting espn

8. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

fcuk are you serious? what happened to the 5 or 10 euro a month..Jesus i think ill be in the same boat as you.I was paying 22 euro and i was getting more football .Thats unreal.

9. Paddser

Paddser
    Expand Collapse

I give them a month so before they are wound up. Im definitely cancelling. the 3 Liverpool games they have penned I plan on going to anyway

10. fermoyred80

fermoyred80
    Expand Collapse

from aug the 1st im sure it said. So for 5euro less you get alot less of a package

11. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

thats unreal.The fcukers told me in July it would be much cheaper.Think ill be cancelling too..Robbing fcuks..As mentioned above they will go bust soon i think.

12. devondudley

devondudley
    Expand Collapse

if you ring setanta and tell them you wanna cancel they will give you three months at 5 euro each which aint bad, now this is a legit offer but dont ring up saying i want the fiver offer just tell them you want to cancel due to their issues and that you would like to stay with them but its too expensive, they will tell you its going down a fiver but tell them that aint enough and then the offer this, now it worked for me

13. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Setanta had an add in the Sports section of the Independent today.

As I have not got the paper with me I am typing this from memory.

They advertised their rate as €3.82 per week. In the small print at the bottom of the page it was €16.99 a month plus the usual crap of I think a connection fee on Satellite of €14.99.

Anybody who subscibes to their services going forward must have money to burn.

In their listing they did advertise their exclusive 33 Saturday matches 3pm KO's

The Champions League
    They will have whatever match RTE/TV3 are not showing which will be of course also available on Sky/ITV

Europa League
    With coverage on both Channel 5 and ITV 4 will Setanta Ireland have other exclusive games.

FAI League and Setanta Cup. No change their they will be exclusively on Setanta.

Magners League.
    They will still have exclusive coverage of Leinster & Munster games from Ireland the other broadcasters are BBC Wales on Friday nights and SC4 on Saturday nights (english commentary via the red button) Expect to hear an announcement on a new deal with a different broadcaster for games in Scotland soon.

Formula 1
    full race coverage on BBC plus lots extra on the red button

Golf
    Only the British Open as far as I am aware

GAA
    Just some league games

Now just compare the amount of sport that you will get on the new ESPN channel and it is a no brainer!

14. CF999

CF999
    Expand Collapse

redabbey, I don't have money to burn. Far from it. But I wouldn't be able to see the games if I didn't have setanta. Where as most people have broadband for streams or have a decent local where they can watch. I think I might stay signed up until December when I'll be able to go to a few games and with the situation we'll be in we'll probably have few 3pm games.

It's a rip off though no doubt. I reckon they'll have to reduce it eventually though cause I think there'll be very few people who'll stay signed up.

15. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

As it happens I will be working Saturdays anyway so I never get to see the 3pm KO's live. The main thrust of my post was the expense of Setanta Ireland and compared with last year (when I was a subscriber) their coverage this season is far inferior and should be priced accordingly.

16. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Setanta in battle to keep fans tuned in

The Sunday Independent

Another football season brings another subscription as the cost of watching sport on television edges ever higher.

The demise of Setanta Sports in the UK was, without question, devastating for its employees and investors but within a matter of weeks the consequences for the ordinary fan are predictable: dig deeper into your wallet.

Setanta's collapse in the UK has made the TV offerings more confusing than usual. In Ireland, Setanta survives. It will be showing Saturday afternoon matches (the traditional 3.0pm kick-offs) but the rights apply only in the Republic.

ESPN, the US sports channel owned by Disney, has bought the rights to the 46 games that Setanta UK owned last season and will share Scottish Premier League games with Sky. Yet more confusion awaits on your satellite box, where Sky's electronic programme guide randomly scatters Setanta and ESPN across its sports channels.

The new season TV rights shuffle means that, in the Republic of Ireland, the dedicated follower of English football now needs three separate subscriptions to watch every televised game.

The good news is that Setanta Ireland, which has 33 games, is cutting its monthly price by a fiver this season, reflecting its loss of games to ESPN. The bad news is that the ESPN package will cost €12 a month for existing Sky Sports subscribers (more if you do not already take the Sky Sports package) and it now means that taking all three subscriptions will cost more than €700 a year.

There is, of course, some free football for those who will not, or cannot, pay. The BBC has re-entered the live market and will cover ten Championship matches as well as adding a Championship highlights package which will be aired after Match of the Day on Saturday nights.

RTE's highlights package survives, there will be the usual diet of mid-week European matches and many cable TV customers will get access to one of Setanta's channels as part of their basic package, but the bulk of the Premier League season will unfold behind a pay-per-view wall that gets higher and higher each year.

It is unlikely that the clock will ever be turned back -- professional sport is addicted to the money that TV generates -- but this season will test the limits of what fans are prepared to pay. The recession will not last forever, but it has already had a profound impact on consumer spending in Ireland and in the UK.

It remains to be seen if that impact is temporary or whether it will have a long-lasting effect on discretionary spending. How many live football matches do you want to watch in any given winter week, and how much are you prepared to pay to see if Manchester City with likes of Carlos Tevez now on board can challenge the dominance of English football's 'big four'?

For both Setanta and ESPN, the fear must be that both are seen as unnecessary add-ons, indulgences that might have been allowed in a booming economy but which have no place when times are tough.

Setanta, though, has more to offer an Irish audience than just Premier League football and its survival really does matter to Irish sport. It is not just a question of money (though neither RTE or TV3 have much to spare for sport at the moment) but also a question of channel space.

Setanta will continue to broadcast Magners League rugby and National League GAA this winter, as well as domestic football and schools rugby. If it survives, it can play an important role in giving local sport the air time -- and the money -- that it needs to prosper.

It is a far more low-key future than the one envisaged by Setanta's founders when they thought, for a brief moment in time, that they could challenge Sky's dominance in the UK, but it is still a valid one. Local sport on its own, however, is unlikely to generate the level of subscriber interest that Setanta needs to survive, so it must offer Premier League football in an already crowded and expensive market.

The stakes and the market may be smaller, but for Setanta Ireland the challenges remain the same: can it create an identity and a product offering that persuades enough sports fans to part with their cash each month, and will 33 Premier League matches be enough to close the deal, particularly since ESPN will be offering more Premier League football for less money?

17. Sim Sala Bim

Sim Sala Bim
    Expand Collapse

ArsenalTV

Has anyone noticed that ArsenalTV is not on anymore, not that I watched it but I just found it strange why it had gone off the sky epg, How long is LFCtv going to stay on for ?? €16.99 a month for Setanta is not worth it !!!!!

18. Tarabuses

Tarabuses
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I don't think Liverpool FCtv would use Setanta Ireland as a platform.

19. RedRuairi

RedRuairi
    Expand Collapse

LFV Tv is around for the rest of the week....will go back to subscription viewing either Friday night or Sat morning

20. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I could be wrong here but if it was to go back to subscription viewing this weekend we would have already heard about it by now. It will go back but I think there will be advance notice of the date for the change.

More great shows free on LFC TV today