This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by Liverpool-law, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Very disappointing performance. Seemed to lack fight and be full of fear. Lacked pace and proper pressing.
    I can't stand Madrid, apart from Citeh I hope whatever team they draw bate the shite out of them. Hopefully we can pick it up in the PL.

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Far better team over the two legs won. We didn't have the tools tonight or the composure in the last leg. Thankfully Alison saved us from a painful beating.

3. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I thought we decent for most of that, had loads of opportunities that we butchered. I'd love to see Mo's record against Rudiger, he absolutely spooks him with his reckless tackling. Gakpo and Nunez just don't get in at the back post anywhere near enough, once they learn that we'll be better.

4. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Nervy start from Madrid but we allow them to settle. Hard to understand a team 3 goals down play in 3rd gear like that. Very strange. Again, not good enough from front to back bar a superb performance from Ali. Was hoping to see a performance at least and a win at best but lack luster once again. Pain in the bollix.

5. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The Ox sub was strange, what was the point of that? Jones or Carvalho for experience surely makes more sense than someone we haven't used for a month and is heading for the door.

D-Red2 likes this.
  6. corkred

corkred
    Expand Collapse

Our finishing XI sums up everything about where we are right now.

7. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

A decent performance from us. Better team won and unfortunately it wasn't us.

Alisson was outstanding tonight, our MOTM by a long stretch.

8. Ryan Haugh

Ryan Haugh
    Expand Collapse

It’s embarrassing to see how poor we do everything absolutely shocking..and Trent salah tonight joke to much dead wood we have…we talk about the midfield that we need a few the looks of things we need a back 4 as well

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm not going to pretend I'm too bothered by anything that happened tonight. It was a dead rubber as far as I was concerned but if we're to take anything from that tie, it should be the realisation of how savvy they are,and that its something that we need to get far better at,and it wasn't much different when we were in our best form. Not in a million years were they ever going to give up a 3 goal lead tonight, it wouldn't of mattered who they were playing. Their game management is as good as it gets.

D-Red2 likes this.
  10. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

To go out without a fight last night. Really sums out season up . Madrid deserved to go through, would of been nice we actually went for it . Rio calling out Virgil, Trent been called out.. but sadly we don't have enough to buy covers or replace them.
    Anyway can we end this disaster of season. Hopefully these boys come back reset after summer.
    Madrid must love playing us . Always do a job on us..

11. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Rio Ferdinand is an idiot.

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Ferdinand called out Van Dijk?

Why?

Van Dijk played well. Trent was shit but there was no lack of effort from anybody in our back 5. I actually don't think there was a lack of effort from anybody, a great intelligent football team just strangled the life out of a team that isn't great at this point in time but the "no effort,no fight" narrative has been decided upon now so its pointless arguing against it. Instead we should maybe just take the positive that we went away to the European Champions and kept the score down to 1 nil without even trying.

sligo fan likes this.
  13. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I don't agree with the opinion that we didn't fight or try hard enough. You can't just go hell for leather against Real in their own backyard, especially when they are sitting on a 3 goal advantage.
    Real went 2 down at Anfield and never looked rattled. Conceding early last night wouldn't have bothered them either.
    I think in theory we did the best we could but in practice it didn't work (misplaced passes, missed chances) if that makes sense.
    We could very easily have lost by 3 last night if it wasn't for Ali, or more if we'd really gone balls out without a care in the world.
    Then the knives would definitely be out from our fans.

xRedmanLFCx, sligo fan and babbsnads like this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Klopp with Liverpool has had 16 knockout ties in the CL including finals.

11 against teams not from Madrid, 11 wins.

5 against teams from Madrid, 5 defeats.

That's unbelievable and really fucking frustrating

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think you're spot on. Not only that, if we'd of managed to take a couple of them chances and undeservedly won 2-1, with absolutely zero difference in the overall performance apart from that, most of the same people who are upset we showed no fight would be happy with the fight we showed,including Rio Ferdinand.Its stupid that opinion on whether Fabinho or Andy Robertson showed enough fight could easily be based on Jota,Salah or Nunez being more clinical, but we all know it's true.

vodkacolly likes this.
  16. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

That's what's disappointing about last night, a victory on the night would have went a long way to removing the hold they have on us.

17. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Well, we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves, dust ourselves down and go flat out for 4th because there is nothing left to play for and I don't like to think about missing out on the money or the draw for players that qualification brings.

12 games left, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leeds, Forest, West ham, Spurs, Brentford, Leicester, Villa, Southampton, Fulham. 6 home, 6 away.

babbsnads likes this.
  18. Ryan Haugh

Ryan Haugh
    Expand Collapse

BREAKING - Stefan Bajcetic will miss the rest of the season through injury

19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

There goes the only real bright spark in the season for us! Real pity for him because he was playing very nicely.

20. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

So 18 points from 36. I don't think that will be enough for CL football unfortunately