This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Our best 11 and last summers transfer dealings

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by trucker, Oct 26, 2014.

1. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

A couple of other threads are going off topic so I thought I'd try keep this discussion to this thread.
    I said in summer I firmly believe our 1st 11 is in the top 3 in the country, I still believe that. But what was brought up to back up the squad isn't doing it for us. We've 4 strikers only sturridge has scored a league goal this season, our back 4, a lot of it new is struggling for clean sheets and the £20m CB is a joke. And our new midfielders aren't creating much. Flanaghan has been a big miss which is something I didn't see myself saying in the past. Anyway IMO our strongest 11 is and mainly based on last seasons run in I will add.

Mingelot

Johnson(although manquillo is very close)

Skertl

Sakho

Flanaghan

Allen

Gerrard

Henderson

Coutinho

Sterling

Sturridge

That's our strongest 11 IMO though lallana and Coutinho was a close one. Given the money we spent in the summer I'd have wanted a lot more, anyway all about opinions, interested to read others.

#1 trucker, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. Badman

Badman
    Expand Collapse

Id have flanno right back and Moreno left back. Otherwise I think the rest picks itself. Just don't like right backs that can't defend

3. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse

Probably stick with Moreno and put flanno right back but I'd go along with the rest which would mean we spent 100 odd million and only one player gets into last years team

4. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Thought about Flanno there myself but I think longterm manquillo will get nod and he impressed at LB in the run in

5. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Mingelot

moreno

Skertl

Sakho

Flanaghan

Can

Gerrard

Henderson

Coutinho/lallana

Sterling

Sturridge

I would love put danny nd mario up front but i wouldnt know who to drop in that team now

6. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Not one of the 120 million investment starts? When you look at it like that it illustrates how we wasted 120 million and not 1 player improves 1st 11. more worrying when you consider we spent 40 million on trying to improve a very shakey defence and made it worse. Also Mingelot...lol

7. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I can't understand atm why Sahko isn't getting on ahead of Lovren even when Sahko is fit that's baffling.Moreno & manquillo are our future full backs I feel. But for me it disturbing that Mignolet is our only keeper that we could put in there,that has to be address first thing come January.

8. CooCooTinho

CooCooTinho
    Expand Collapse

Something that was entirely obvious before Rodger set fire to the money. We done a good job making Spurs previous years business look good and we're going to go much further backwards than them.

9. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

----------Mignolet-----------
    Johnson--Skrtel--Sakho--Moreno
    ---------Gerrard-------------
    ---Henderson--Coutinho(Allen)
    ------Sterling-----Lallana
    ----------Sturridge---------

Something like that possibly. I don't know. Finding a system to get our best players on the field is the job for Rodgers I think. He done it last season by finding the diamond system to get 2 up top and still getting numbers in midfield.

I wonder has he thought of using the 3-5-2 again. Lovren/Skrtel/Sakho back 3. Johnson & Moreno as our wing backs. Gerrard, Henderson & Coutinho or Allen in a midfield 3 and Sturridge & Sterling up top.

10. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Mingolet
    Johnson
    Skrtel
    Sahko
    Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Lallana
    Coutinho
    Sterling
    Sturridge

I think Lallana can play in a midfield three with Gerrard and Henderson. Allen and Can are good options too, Can looks a real prospect. Manquillo I like the look of and he'll hopefully end up a better option than Johnson. I'd have wanted more for our outlay too. I don't know if we'd have paid Di Maria's wages but I think we should have tried to get him, he's a brilliant player and would improve any team in the league. Can, Moreno and Manquillo are all players we needed and I'm happy with their signings. I think Lallana is a super footballer and the type of player we really needed too. Markovic has been poor but it's early days for him and he's very young. Lovren and Balotelli obviously hugely disappointing so far.

Overall we obviously needed to improve the squad but the main priority should have been compensating for the departure of Suarez. We have failed on that front. Even if Balotelli ends up workin well with Sturridge we needed a striker who can lead the line on his own. Origi looks a serious prospect, Wilmots seems to rate him higher than 28 million Lukaku. I think that was a super piece of business at the price. I wonder what money it would take for Lille to let him come in January? Probably a lot if they're in contention for champions league places.

11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Everyone laughed at Spurs last season, but the likes of Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela are doing better this Season. Soldado looks a dud however plenty of LFC fans were bemoaning the fact LFC were not in for him.

I am hoping in the second half of the season Can, Markovic and Moreno will have adjusted. I think Can has potential to be a big upgrade on Lucas and Allen. Think Lallana will be better once Sturridge comes back and would have him ahead of Coutinho week in week out.

Out of the current crop of main starters massive worries over Mignolet, Johnson, Lovren, Gerrard and Balotelli. Gerrard more so as he can't play every game

Maybe not at the moment but this would my starting XI once the season settles down and hopefully injury free for big games.

New Keeper (Begovic/Valdes)

Flanagan
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Moreno

Can
    Gerrard
    Henderson

Sterling
    Sturridge
    Lallana

From the summer spending that would be three starters with Maquillo running Flanno very close. Would not be surprised to see Johnson sold for a few quid in January to a mid ranking team as he won't be offered a new contract

#11 GaryMc, Oct 26, 2014
  12. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

I thought Eriksen was very good for spurs last season, sorry for going off topic there.

13. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

I think Coutinho is a better player than Eriksen and a more versatile one.

14. graham

graham
    Expand Collapse

Valdes is on his way to United

15. graham

graham
    Expand Collapse

It was really a disaster of a transfer window.
    I know a few players are young and new but still there wasn't enough quality brought in to take us forward.
    We've signed a few decent players in Can, Lallana and Moreno but honestly we could have gotten those without CL football as other posters have already mentioned.
    The summer before with no CL football we were after real quality like Costa Willian and Micky Tarzan.
    Then we finish second and lower the standard of our targets.
    Were we ever really in for those world class players last year or was it all a PR spin to keep the fans happy? We signed none of them and the money went on Sakho in the end.
    It's got to be a real morale killer for players like Henderson and Gerrard. I wouldn't be happy if I was them

16. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Mignolet

Moreno

Skrtel

Sakho

Manquillo

Allen

Gerrard

Henderson

Lallana

Sterling

Sturridge

Squad players

Flannagan ( great squad player )
    Lucas ( best moved on )
    Suso ( ?)
    Glen ( not bothered if sold )
    Enrique ( ditto )
    Toure ( grand 4th choice )
    Borini ( I'd like to see him given a chance but will be moved on )
    Coutinho ( flip of a coin with Lallanna )
    Can ( looks decent so far but mobility ?)
    Lambert ( 4th choice opition could do with better )
    Lovern ( so far the biggest let down )
    Balotelli ( not suited to our style of play should have went for Bony if we had no choices )
    Markovic ( jury out )

#16 ROCCO, Oct 26, 2014
  17. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Must be getting truck loads of cash as I would say he will be on the bench there. De Gea was their player of the year last year and already this season has saved them in a few games.

To be honest not sure he would be the right for LFC as he is not one for coming for crosses. Loves a punch!!!

18. graham

graham
    Expand Collapse

Yeah but he's experienced and has confidence.
    His medal collection speaks for itself.
    We're currently in a spot of bother with our current keeper as he came out with his legs against Real Madrid

19. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Don't see it , unless Degea already going to madrd next season ?

20. graham

graham
    Expand Collapse

LVG's people know him personally.
    Id imagine he'll be their number 2.
    Seems like a big 2 fingers to us to be honest