This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GAA 2022

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by stamullenredmen, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Except "everyone" is not saying KC should deal with it, so that is false equivalence. Most people are saying it should be dealt with. And in your scenario above, (even though it couldn't happen with subs now generally making way at the half way line, except in the case of injury, before play restarts) I would expect that if Liverpool won the game by one goal that UEFA would have the balls to address it, yes.

Shane_90 likes this.
  2. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I mean everyone as in everyone on here who has made the statement that KC should request replay or forfeit. So it's not false equivalence.

I agree in both the actual case and my hypothetical case that they should be addressed, but that they should be addressed by the governing body, and it is solely a mistake by the officials on the day unless they can prove there was intent by one party to gain an advantage by skirting the rules. So far we don't know how the extra man ended up on the field.

3. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Haven't demanded anything mate. Just an observation and suggestion. Its a little less black and white than what you are saying about having skin in the game. Personally I know I'd be pretty pissed off with our 7th European Cup being surrounded by controversy but more to the point there's a big difference between a multi billion pound elite level sport and one that’s amateur in a competitiion that sells itself on community . I think there’s a fair possibility some within Crokes that thinking its more valuable to them as a club to win a trophy they have coveted and planned well in advance to compete for these past few years, fair and square, than be brandished as a team that cheated.

I’ll take your point on hypocrisy but it’s fair to say your comparison is very apples and pears.

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

From a PR point of view I think Crokes publicly offering a replay would be a good idea. I don't see any way its not going to happen anyway,so acknowledging their mistake, doing the decent thing and saving the other team the embarrassment of an appeal wouldn't do them any harm. There's an argument that would let the GAA off the hook but I think it would make them look worse,because it will deny them the opportunity to claim any credit when they eventually do grant the replay.

But maybe Crokes think there's a decent chance they'll get away with their mistake and keep the win?

5. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Is it weird that it's been over 50 hours since final whistle and still no official confirmation of what's happening next?

6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

It’s on the officials in my opinion. They are in charge of making sure subs happen according the laws. There is no way KC did it on purpose. O’Rourke came out after the game saying they wouldn’t appeal and I think it should been left at that. The extra man had no real impact, the chances of Glen getting the crucial score at that stage were probably 5%, the additional player probably reduced that to 4.9%. If the extra player had blocked a goal on the line then maybe I’d see it differently.

The GAA should have given the officials a rebuke and in future this can’t happen again.

7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

It isn't Glen's fault, we can all agree on that. I'm going to assume that player x for Kilmacud ran on, gave a signal to player y that's he off. Player x assumed the message was communicated and with the concentration on the matter in hand never checked. Its a small mistake but one that I find the officials more culpable than the players or teams. There are 6 or 7 officials there, how hard is it for them to count 2 players walking off the pitch? The fact the rules seem to allow play to restart while players are making their way off is the recipe for disaster.

The main consideration I'd have though is the fact an extra player in GAA appears go to make fuck all difference. The odds of Glen scoring from the hail probably went from 8% to 6.5%, the difference is to minimal to be worthy of a replay. Elvis compared it to a CL final earlier, when we lost in 2018 we didn't go looking for a replay when the ref made 2 huge errors, we done what Glen should do and use it as an incentive to go one further next time. That would be refreshing, winning a replay would have a massive * beside it.

GaryMc likes this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Jaysis lads. The most basic fundamental of a sport like GAA is that it's 15 v 15. If you infringe upon that fundamental, then any win you got is tainted. And even if the officials don't do their job properly, ending up with an extra man on the pitch is on the team that did it. "Why didnt you stop us cheating?" is not a defence. Its mad to me that anybody is arguing that a replay isn't warranted here. The fact there isn't a rule set in stone for this situation is another black mark against the GAA.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The most infuriating thing in all of this is that Glenn seemingly pointed out to the officials at the time that there was an error made, easiest thing in the world right then and there retake the thing and KC see it out and everyone goes home happy because let's face it that's still be far and away the most likely outcome, if you gave Glenn 10 chances from a 45 they probably don't score a goal. But it's a mess now and only a replay can correct it.

10. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Shame about the situation. The revised club calendar has gone down really well with clubs and supporters last couple of seasons that the GAA will be kicking themselves over this controversy. None more so than the ref too I reckon.

11. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Nonsense Eric - glen players are entitled to there day out as much as Crokes lads. They were denied a game within the rules through no fault of there own. I run a senior team I'm fully aware of the preceedings. Crokes management made a bolox of it and Glen suffered at the hands of this. Replay minimum if they believe it was unintentional. If it was intentional it should be a forfeit and a punishment.

12. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Sure if playing with 16 is barely an advantage maybe crokes should give them a replay and play with 14? Leave the Galway man at home.

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I do wonder though how much of reaction there would be if it had been Kilmacud who were behind and Glen had the extra player on the pitch for the last kick. The Shane Walsh thing has caused a lot of bitterness and a lot of the comments on social media are mentioning it when discussing this situation.

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Glen have submitted their objection, replay on the way. For what it's worth I hope that KC do win this game again because it will leave a very sour taste if they lose this all over this mistake of theirs and the players don't deserve that!

15. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

A replay shouldn't happen, if the offence is deemed that bad then award Glen the match. They were 2 points behind, a draw was an impossibility.

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Could be either/or, but a rematch doesn't have to be awarded on the basis that Glen could have gotten a draw Bob. It can simply mean that Crokes broke the rules to win the match,the authorities have voided the win,and they're playing the game again on that basis. I've seen the points given to losing teams in real football for less though.

17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

KC should refuse to play any rematch, send the cup and their best wishes up to glen, everybody knows who won the match.
    Haven't seen it back but apparently a glen player was standing in the square when the last 45 was being taken?

18. DaraghOT98

DaraghOT98
    Expand Collapse

Anyone on here know the season tickets for hurling (i will be buying a limerick one) does that cover all league games including the aways? and also does it cover the munster championship games or will that be extra on top, i know it wont cover the all irelands but will guarantee you a final ticket if im correct

19. red2005

red2005
    Expand Collapse

Football season tickets cover all league games home and away plus first championship game, the rest are extra and if your county makes the all ireland final you are guaranteed a ticket. I would presume it's the same for hurling.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Or they can put their big boy pants on, accept they cost themselves the win with their mistake, and win it without again without any 16 v 15 situation arising?

Shane_90 and Liverpool-law like this.