This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Brendan Rodgers - Former Liverpool Manager

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by RedArmagh, May 30, 2012.

1. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Just watching him in SSN, cool as ya like

2. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Jaysus just seen Mourinho now, he looks like he swallowed a hand grenade

3. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh to be a fly on the wall at that dinner...

[YOUTUBE]kj790dHWkiE[/YOUTUBE]

4. Jockser

Jockser
    Expand Collapse

snoop dog?!?!? RODGERS OUT!!!!

5. byrnetred

byrnetred
    Expand Collapse

By Ben Smith - BBC Sport
    Brendan Rodgers has always talked a good game but this season he has finally been able to practise what he preached.
    Long before he arrived at Anfield, the man from Carnlough on the Antrim coast of Northern Ireland spoke with a zeal that fans wanted to hear, journalists wanted to listen to and players wanted to respond to. But the question many asked was could he also walk the walk?
    The answer has been both eloquent and emphatic. Liverpool are on the brink of winning a first league title since 1990, 12 months after they finished seventh in the Premier League. Club owners, Fenway Sports Group, had set him the target of Champions League qualification from next season.
    To be welcoming his old mentor, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, to a city abuzz with title fever is an illustration of how quickly Rodgers's methods have taken root on and off the field.
    Liverpool have scored 96 goals in 35 Premier League matches this season - already a club record - playing a brand of football that has captured the imagination by entertaining and, at times, enthralling the rest of the English game.
    Anfield feels like a different ground this season and 15 wins from 17 home matches says it all.
    But the subtle changes made by Rodgers may have gone unnoticed. The traditional red nets were restored, as was the oldest surviving 'This is Anfield' sign, which hung over the tunnel from 1974 to 1998, a period in which Liverpool won 25 major trophies, including four European Cups.
    Likewise, the playing of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' is now delayed until the players and, more importantly, the opponents are on the field.
    The supporters have noticed the difference. Rodgers was applauded at Anfield last season but never with the acclaim that has poured from the stands this term. Now his name is sung by the Kop, while scarves bearing his image are sold outside Anfield.
    A look around Rodgers's office at Liverpool's Melwood training ground is revealing. On the walls are black and white images of past managerial masters: Bill Shankly at Anfield, one finger raised in celebration; Bob Paisley holding the league trophy aloft; Kenny Dalglish; Ronnie Moran - the men who set the tone for the club. They provided the benchmark to which all successors must aspire.
    On his desk, colour-coded files hold the secrets behind the transformation - the tactical intelligence, hunting in packs, pace on the counter attack. Detail is everything and each training session is planned meticulously, with a four-day schedule designed to lead the players into game day.
    He is now planning to re-lay the pitch at Anfield and those at Melwood to make them quicker, allowing Liverpool's passing even more zip.
    Nothing is left to chance.
    His relationship with psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters has been vital to the club's success. The pair have freed the players from the burden of pressure and expectation, focusing on what can be controlled and ignoring what can't.
    If Liverpool prepare properly, the entire squad believes it can and will beat any opponent. The fearlessness that has been a feature of their play is no coincidence.
    Rodgers himself has also changed. Mind games have gone - now his players do the talking. Where once "relentless possession" was his managerial pillar, Manchester City (3-2), Arsenal (5-1), Tottenham (4-0) and Everton (4-0) were torn apart by counter-attacking football coupled with a relentless and devastating pressing game.
    Rodgers's players practice the "five-second rule", in which the team press their opponents immediately on losing possession for five seconds, before easing back. They then wait for precise triggers to press again. If a pass bounces off a foot, or an attacker needs to look down at the ball - as soon as their opponents' options are limited, Liverpool pounce.
    Possession is no longer the be all and end all. Liverpool are arguably at their most dangerous when they don't have the ball.
    As a man-manager, Rodgers is more flexible too. In the summer of 2012, he attempted to sell Jordan Henderson to Fulham having decided he might not develop into a top-class midfielder. Martin Skrtel and full-back Jon Flanagan were told they could look for other clubs. There was even a reluctance to sign Daniel Sturridge - who has 20 league goals this season - when he was offered to Rodgers 18 months ago.
    Now, he has created an environment where, if players impress him enough, he is willing to change his mind.
    The decision to switch Steven Gerrard to a deep-lying midfield role has been one of the success stories of the season. Rather than attempting to mould the players to his vision, he has looked at their strengths and picked his team to play to their strengths not his.
    Rodgers stands on the brink of achieving something special as a manager but has been preparing for this moment over a 15-year-coaching career, updating and reworking the 180-page dossier that is his coaching bible.
    It is the document that convinced Liverpool's principal owners, John W Henry and Tom Werner, to employ him in 2012. It explains how he wants to play, the way in which he wants to develop young talent and his blueprint for the attractive, attacking football that has taken the Premier League by storm.
    Rodgers's experience as a youth-team coach at Chelsea remains crucial to the work he does on the training field, where he spends time coaching his players individually to make them technically better footballers.
    Henderson, Flanagan, Raheem Sterling, Sturridge, Philippe Coutinho and Skrtel to name but a few have all improved - and there is a daily commitment to coaching the best out of individuals, plus the squad as a collective.
    Rodgers has prided himself on his ability to learn from everyone he has worked with during his career. He tells friends that being employed by Mourinho was "like going to Harvard". But his ambition has been overriding. During his time at Chelsea he was writing to England's World Cup-winning rugby coach, Sir Clive Woodward, to ask about opportunities at Southampton.
    He got his chance to manage first with Watford and then at Reading, only to be sacked. It was then, in December 2009, that Sir Alex Ferguson took time to dictate a letter to be sent to Rodgers, who had impressed the Manchester United manager during his time at Watford.
    Ferguson told him to keep his chin up and that his time would come. The Scot was right. It was that same talent that persuaded Mourinho to promote Rodgers to reserve-team coach. The men remain close and will meet on the touchline at Anfield on Sunday as peers and equals.
    Rodgers was influenced by Mourinho, as he was by Barcelona managers Pep Guardiola, Frank Rijkaard and, going further back, Johan Cruyff.
    It remains to be seen if Rodgers can write himself into Anfield folklore by doing what only George Kay, Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish and Joe Fagan have done since the war - lead Liverpool to the league title.
    The gospel according to Rodgers is building to a dramatic climax.

6. petevans

petevans
    Expand Collapse

Good article - Brendan's willingness to adapt, learn and change is one of the things that has impressed me most about him in the past year.

7. CHARMAC

CHARMAC
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Time has changed, but not philosophy for Liverpool, Brendan Rodgers

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20140425/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-epl-title-chelsea/

By Melissa Reddy, Special to SI.com

Manager Brendan Rodgers has Liverpool on the cusp of its first league championship since 1989-1990.
    Clint Hughes/AP
    March 16 has become a date of significance for Liverpool over the last two seasons.
    In 2013, it marked the date that the club was officially eliminated from Premier League title contention -- the third fastest time it had been knocked out of the race since its last title -- after a miserable 3-1 loss to Southampton at St. Mary's left the club 29 points behind first-place Manchester United with only 24 points left up for grabs.
    March 16 this year was different. Again a team was comfortably outplayed, and languished so far behind in the title tilt that doing the math simply seemed a cruel punchline. This time though, it wasn't the Reds. David Moyes and his deficient United were humiliated by Steven Gerrard's two penalties and a late Luis Suarez strike at Old Trafford, where Liverpool had failed to formulate a victory since 2009. The sums that now mattered were that Brendan Rodgers' side was second, four points behind league-leading Chelsea with a game in hand, while United sat in the depths of seventh place.
    While Liverpool's fortunes have changed with time -- the club sits a mere three games away from the title, a prize that has been on a pedestal for 24 years -- the transformation has been procured through the same ideals Rodgers preached upon taking the reins at Anfield. Much has been made of his supposed alteration in approach and emphasis, but the Manager of the Year favorite dismissed such as fiction with a vital game against severely wounded title challenger Chelsea in the offing on Sunday.
    "I've seen lots of stuff written about how I've changed, which is totally not true," Rodgers said. "What has changed has been the speed of the game, the understanding of our game, the understanding of the philosophy amongst the players and their intelligence around has improved and that's what has helped us to where we are.
    "I've seen stuff saying I'm more pragmatic, but nothing has changed, except with time and the constant exposure to the ideas, the players have adapted.
    "When I first came in about 20 months ago, we had some fantastic performances, but didn't always get the results. But as time went on and players started to understand the methods and the exercises and looked to bring that into the games, we started to see the rewards from that work. We had an introduction of players [Daniel Sturridge and Coutinho in particular] who were important for the philosophy."
    WILSON: 25 years later, Hillsborough resonates more than ever
    Part of the suggestion is that Rodgers has parked off his "death by possession" penchant to push the counterattack as the club's premier modus operandi. With Liverpool managing less than 10 of its 96 goals on the break, Rodgers highlights the flaw in this analysis.
    "Nothing that's been asked is different from the first day I've come in here. Players have just interpreted what we wanted them to do," Rodgers said. "Our first focus is always our pressing; can we get the ball back very quickly? Can we make it very difficult for the opponent? Can we suffocate them? And then when we have the ball, let the opponent run and chase it. The other moments we've become better in, is transition moments.
    "When we've won the ball back, we look to exploit the spaces. People will say 'Rodgers has changed from possession football to counterattack.' We've only scored nine goals out of 96 on the counter."
    Another observation this season has been Rodgers' willingness to throw away his "template" and be more flexible in his tactical approach. He argues that his ability to tweak formations and personnel has always been present, but simply escaped the spotlight.
    "You look, for example, at our game against Wigan [at Anfield in November 2012], I made a change after 20 minutes," Rodgers noted. "We were playing 4-2-3-1, we weren't pressing the ball the same, and we didn't have control of the game. I took young Suso off, put on Jordan Henderson and we flipped to 4-3-3.
    "That gave us control and dominance again. If I do that move now, it's different. It will be talked about, because we now have success, people will notice and pay attention to the differences in tactical adjustments. Our style has remained the same. When I was Swansea manager, I played 4-3-3, we couldn't play a diamond because we didn't have two strikers, our strengths was on the sides. So your beliefs, style and demand stays the same, just the system alters."
    BERLIN: Liverpool continues to entertain on title quest
    Rewinding back to last March, Rodgers never felt tempted to deviate from his plan for Liverpool. Not then, or ever. While this is largely a credit to his "unswerving belief," it is also a product of the constant introspection he undertook during the seven torturous months he spent isolated from the game, following his departure from Reading in 2009.
    "That was part of my reflection when I left Reading, that I did veer from my philosophy under pressure for results, I wasn't being true to myself," Rodgers said. "I can adapt and be pragmatic of course, but I had success all my life as a coach working with players and developing them in my way - which is not just the right or wrong way, but how I operate, what I've devoted my life to, what I've rehearsed a million times on the training field.
    "What I needed to do here is ensure that the players were building their confidence, that they knew if it is 0-0 and we're struggling to break a team down, it will come. And that's the trick, when the players are confident and have belief, when it all does click they are rewarded for it and achieve through it. Then comes the acclaim for their dynamics, the style, the beauty of the football. But you have to go through all the barriers and hurdles first before you can get there."
    What has changed though, is how Rodgers carries out his commands.
    "The longer I've been here, I've been able to bring out my personality. My leadership has changed," he admitted. "When I first came in, I was very autocratic, very hard-line; 'This is my philosophy, this is how I work.' I then became more democratic in my second phase here, more educational.
    "I had the players I want and they started understanding, so it was about furthering that. I want to be here for a long time, and you can't be autocratic and expect to last a long time. I'm now at a stage where I'm multi-functional, multi-dimensional; managing, coaching, facilitating, developing, enhancing, improving."
    Rodgers, after weathering the storm of a seventh-place finish in 2012-13, has adapted over time, and so too has his Liverpool, which is closing in on ending a 24-year league drought.

8. up the pool

up the pool
    Expand Collapse

Afaik, i always backed brendan, unless someone can prove otherwise, dont think i ever said a bad word about him (im leaving myself wide open here) sterling on the other hand i did give a bad time to but im always happy to be proven wrong:)

9. TrueRed92

TrueRed92
    Expand Collapse

Brilliant post

10. Murph

Murph
    Expand Collapse

^^^^^ Thanks

Reading that article about things that have gone unoticed, nets TIA pic on the tunnel, erm We all had debates about those changes when they happened, I was made up getting the old This Is Anfield pic back where it belonged and the red nets were a bonus. We Are Liverpool WE NOTICE EVERYTHING.

11. CooCooTinho

CooCooTinho
    Expand Collapse

There's a misguided notion that what's said on the internet or in the pub has anything to do with support. That's given at the game, anything said anywhere else, doesn't actually support the team at all.

Anyone who pretended Rodgers first season was good enough or that all was rosy was simply doing so out of this superfan notion of supporting the manager behind a keyboard. His first season was a complete write off, rubbish summer transfer window, embarrassment in the cups and behind a piss poor everton team led by Moyes. No amount of excuses made up for that. Thankfully he learnt quickly and turned everything around since January that season.

12. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Last season wasn't a write off, it was part of the journey. The foundations for this season were laid during the improved performances from January on. Obviously nobody was happy with the finishing position but I think most rational fans could see the progress in the second half of the season.

When we win the league this year I'd be surprised if anyone is interested in trawling back through posts to see who backed Rogers/slated Sterling etc. We should all be out enjoying ourselves. We all have differences of opinion, that's the beauty of a forum. There were some lads on here who only ever seemed to post after a defeat and post negative comments though. Some have completely disappeared during our recent run. Hopefully they're enjoying it all too much to even bother posting!

13. F@ces

F@ces
    Expand Collapse
    Part of the dance

Your avatar is so apt right now...

[​IMG]

Things that are said on here are reflective of what supporters think, because, and wait for it... this is a supporters forum. I know, mad, eh? Debate on here regarding progress, reflecting worry and concern through analysis and critique - all good. Flaming the manager at every possible juncture like a few have done here regularly (and whom have surprisingly disappeared) is simply not on. So get lost with your strawman argument, pontificated from your lofty horse, backing such with illogical 'superfan' comments.

You do love a good troll though, don't ya...

14. CooCooTinho

CooCooTinho
    Expand Collapse

Sorry if I've hit a nerve but no what's said on here doesn't SUPPORT the team, manager or players at all. Only during the 90 minutes at the game can fans do that.

Those that pretend everything is rosy and never have a bad word to type about players and managers are simply faning their own ego, pretending it makes them a bigger fan then someone who's able to have an honest discussion about the team. If there's such a thing as a bigger fan, they're the ones at the game, actually giving support, the ONLY way a fan can give support.

It's really laughable that the modern football fan thinks typing on a forum is a way of supporting a team. There's a number of people on here that fits that description, I guess for those who don't go to games & actually offer support, then pretending all the players are great and the club has never done no wrong, is a great way of lying to themselves that they actually offer support to the team.

#5094 CooCooTinho, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  15. F@ces

F@ces
    Expand Collapse
    Part of the dance

You're hilarious. You've not hit a nerve - I'd have to actually understand what you are on about for that to happen. I'm off to debate string theory with my cat, seems more constructive than reading your posts. Have a fun afternoon!

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Of course social media has an impact in this day and age,the same way the press has an impact.A lot of peoples opinions are formed from what they read and constant negativity on social media can help to create an environment that makes it more difficult for the manager and/or players to do their job.Not wanting to add to that doesn't come from a ''superfan'' mentality but more from a genuine desire to not add to the negativity surrounding the club,thus hopefully giving the team greater chance of success.Im pretty certain BR understands this and knows that his good relationship with the press probably meant he got an easier ride from the press in those first 6 months than many others would have.It,s also worth noting that many of us superfans weren,t posting anything we didn't actually believe.Last season was a complete write off?Sweet jesus,it's one thing not seeing the big picture last season but to see where we are now and still hold that view is staggering ignorance.Still,it probably makes more sense to you that way.You weren't wrong,BR was and he came round to your way of thinking this season which is why we're having success now.You say whatever you have to say to make yourself feel better about your poor treatment of the manager,but don't make out that those of us who were willing to give him a fair crack of the whip and could see reasons to be optimistic,were doing it out of a desire to be better than you.You might have seen reason to be optimistic too if you weren,t so determined not to.I have to say,you don't expect to come onto an LFC forum and expect to find posts trying to shame you for supporting the manager.

17. CooCooTinho

CooCooTinho
    Expand Collapse

Obvious it would hit a nerve with you. :rolleyes:

You fit the description perfectly. Completely unable to have an honest discussion on the team cause you're too busy lying to yourself and anyone who'll read. At best it's your only way of supporting the team, at worst you're on a ego trip with your superfan tripe. Only you can know why you can't be honest about the team on here.

Once upon a time people used to go to the games, support the players for 90 mins, even the shit ones (and there have been shit ones) then talk honestly about the team and players in the pub after. Shame a lot of people nowadays think support happens online.

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I can see where you're coming from but things like the irishkop banner and the bob paisley banner and memorial and the fans lining anfield road for the last few games are all vocal and visual displays of support that all originated online and in the pubs.most of the songs sang at anfield originated in the pubs,probably not so much online.I'd say the vast majority on banners did too.
    Support is definitely given at the game but the majority of people sit there and offer nothing to the atmosphere,they're financially supporting the team alright but very little else.

19. masterbenji

masterbenji
    Expand Collapse

Be careful what you say mate, your name won't help you at all!;)

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Didn't realise you went every week pal.Fair play to you,I'd be lying if i said i didn't envy you.Me i do 3 games a season since the kids came along.But i have to say i feel like i support the club all year round.I also have to commend you for being able to profile somebody who you know next to nothing about.All i can tell from your posts is you're an angry guy with a fairly basic understanding of the game of football but then again,maybe i don't pay as much attention to you as you did to me.Anyway if you'd care to point to any of my posts where you feel im not being honest,I'll gladly debate them with you.If its purely about Rodgers you'll find quite a few where i criticised him last season,even this season.I've no problem with constructive criticism.What it seems like is happening here is that you're one of those lads that just can't stand to be wrong.Which is why you and your like spent a whole season constantly searching for reasons to slaughter the manager and kept repeating those reasons ad nauseum until he put that reason to bed,which he kept doing.To be fair to most,they've accepted the fact that they were wrong.But you're sticking to your guns.Good for you buddy. But you see my friend,while you think the only place you can be supportive or unsupportive is in the ground for 90 mins every week,most of us think theres numerous ways to show your support or convey your lack of it.You can't support the club on a computer,ask Tom Hicks and George Gillett about internet terrorism.There's thousands of supporters who dont get to the ground every week who contributed to that campaign.But im not on here to prove im a great supporter,im on here because i love discussing LFC with like minded people and everything i say is honest.It seems the only person trying to prove what a top supporter here is you and you're doing that by trying to belittle other LFC SUPPORTERS.Because believe me,i and everyone else on here who doesn,t go every week,feel like just as big a supporter as the ones who are lucky enough to.You come on here saying you discuss things honestly while those who dont agree with you or criticise as much as you do are being dishonest which basically translates to you saying you're always right.Thats a pretty high regard you have for your own opinion chief.I've stopped wondering why you've such a hard on for Mourinho.Look at that,I'm getting to know you better.Maybe soon i can profile you.