This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Joe Gomez

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by flies, Jun 20, 2015.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I like the look of him to be honest.Im fully convinced Jamie Carragher wouldn't have anything like the career he had with us if he had of came into the team in these circumstances.For about 6 or 7 years supporters wanted him replaced and managers tried to replace him before he made that CB role his own.Not a chance he'd manage to hold on as long as he did in a team thats not built to protect him and under the type of scrutiny every one of our defenders get now.I like Carra as a pundit but he forgets that sometimes imo when he's doing that job.Gomez could easily have as much in his locker as Carra did at that age,its going to be harder for him though.

GaryMc likes this.
  2. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Still building up fitness IMO, he seems to make mistakes late in games. His defending for the second goal yesterday was awful, he wasn't great for the first either.

3. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Thought he was excellent v Utd, looks to be getting his athleticism and sharpness back

Personally think he will make a great center back in the future

4. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Has played some lovely crosses and passes from deep positions this year. Has had some awful games too where he looked slow but it looks like he does have plenty of pace. Hopefully a top player in the future. This run of games should help

5. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

6. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Totally agree, he deserves the call up

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Deserved however would rather see him training at Melwood. LFC players seem to pick up a lot of injuries on International duty.

8. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Gary, there is an upside to this that you have not considered. Joe Gomez would most likely have played two 90mins for the U23's as the captain of that side. I would be very surprised if he even plays one full game with the senior squad.

Can there be special arrangements for the number of subs in international friendly's to exceed three?

Delighted that Daniel Sturridge was left out.

9. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Good point Lionel,

Hadn't thought of that myself until you mentioned it.

How come ?

It seems to me that he needs as much game time as he can get.

Unless your thinking potential injury, but Sturridge is as likely to pick up an injury in his sleep, as he is when playing for England, so not sure that would make the difference for you :)

10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Off topic but with regard to Daniel Sturridge.

I'd much rather him working with fitness trainers that know and understand his body better than any national squad trainers. Remember it was with England that he picked up a serious injury that kept him out of the Liverpool squad for a very long time because the trainers with England worked him to hard in a session after playing the day before at least that is my recollection.

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi Lionel,

Appreciate the off topic bit, but for what it's worth, I think he's just a very unfortunate player and it'll happen to him regardless of where he or who he is playing for at the time etc.

12. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

No disrespect to Gomez but I think this highlights England's failings rather than his ability. He's improving all the time and could end up an international standard defender but he's miles off it now. Realistically he would be a bit part player for us if Clyne was fit.

babbsnads likes this.
  13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

On the ball as usual Lionel, you are right, better in the senior squad

redabbey likes this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

This is basically my thoughts on it.I think he has a lot of potential but he's still raw and nobody has any idea of what he's like as a CB at PL level,thats what he's in the squad as.He's obviously impressed Southgate at U21 level and Im glad he's showing this kind of faith in the lad,a nice confidence boost and as Lionel says less game time at a point where we're carrying a few injuries.Southgate is ruthless enough though,dumped Sturridge,Chamberlain and Smalling because "he wants CB's who can play out from the back".Ouch.

15. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Need to hold up my hands here, the England U21 squad are only playing one match against the Ukraine on Friday a qualifier for the Euro's. So quite possible that Joe might get similar match time away with the senior squad who play two friendlies.

Garrett likes this.
  16. kopdub

kopdub
    Expand Collapse

I always think about carra when people have a pop at Gomez, played mid, lb, rb and looked very limited for a long time until he eventually matured at CB! Turned into a top player, I played CB myself (obviously not at their level ) and I know from experience that it’s a position you get better as you mature. I think Gomez has all the tools to be a top player and with time and patience I full expect him to to develop into one

babbsnads likes this.
  17. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Personally think he could be our future long term
    CB

18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Is that because you think he's really that good, or because you don't rate our other CBs very highly ROCCO ?

FWIW, I think he's coming along for a young player, but don't think he's ready for the full responsibility as yet.

19. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

He looks the real deal .

20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

100% Agreed, if he hadn't suffered those two serious injuries he may well already be one of our starting centre halves. Looks to be a serious operator and loads of room for improvement too. He's got that air of confidence about him too which is always good to see.