This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Joe Gomez

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by flies, Jun 20, 2015.

1. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

He has made a few errors and all of them have been punished with goals unfortunately.
    These errors aside he has been outstanding to be fair. You expect young defenders to make the occasional error. As long as it looks like he is learning from them you don't mind.
    He could be a very good player.

ROCCO likes this.
  2. NoName7

NoName7
    Expand Collapse

In fairness to Robertson, he hasn't been caught out by the flight of the ball yet despite being as far infield as Gomez was yesterday. I like the guy, seems to have a great career in front of him but him misjudging the flight of the ball seems to be recurring too often for my liking. His biggest mistake wasn't in misreading the flight of the ball, I think, it was in not backing off and getting goalside of Sane and the ball instead of trying to win a losing battle and just minimising the possible damage from Sane. Sane was goalside of him then and leaving him little chance of pressuring to win the ball back

But like Dan said above, he is still young and if he learns from it, it will stand to him in future.

dantheman23 and bobby benitez like this.
  3. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Van along side him imo will help these lapse in concentration, lads still on 20 and really a Cb not a full back .

In the Everton game Robertson had a great clearance from a diagonal ball but Van had just told him to move over.

NoName7 likes this.
  4. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

When he makes a rare mistake , he just gets on with and it doesn’t let it effect him , Lovern could learn from him .

dantheman23 likes this.
  5. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

He wont face the likes of Sane every week, however he has made a few errors lately, hopefully he will learn from them as we do forget he is very young. Posts above are correct though, a mistake does not seem to rattle him and he gets on with the job. Some others in squad seem to completely lose it when they may a mistake.

6. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. he wasn't on top of the centre half before the cross field pass was made, he was centre of the pitch which is where I'd be happy with him

When the ball is as perfect as that one you need to accept you're not winning it and back off try to hold up the wide player

NoName7 likes this.
  7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Or clothes line him.

8. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

yep out on the touchline in that part of the ground you're allowed dump people into the crowd and all, just ask Holgate

Niall likes this.
  9. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse

Think his starting position was spot on. The quality of the ball to Sane and his control where absolutely top class.
    Same with his finish. Sometimes you just have to allow for being done by quality.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  10. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Starting position was too far infield, once you allow the attacker to get the ball down unchallenged you are on the back foot

11. NoName7

NoName7
    Expand Collapse

I don't know that he was too far infield. I think he had halved the distance between Sane and Matip so he was ready to help Matip in case of him getting beaten. That's what was drilled into us from a young age anyway.

I'll be disappointed if he makes that mistake again.

And no Klopp hugs for a week.

That'll learn him!

callyno3 likes this.
  12. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

He was way nearer the centre half than the touchline but I'm still relatively happy with that. He was in the centre point of the pitch from what I remember about 10 yards off Matip, where the immediate danger looked more likely. Then you get over to the wide player as the ball is travelling but he made a bags of that. When he jumped it looked obvious he was misting it, not sure why he went through with the jump and didn't stall his run

NoName7 likes this.
  13. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse

callyno3 likes this.
  14. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Actually scrap that, having watched the video the play was much nearer Gomez's side than I remember. His positioning was still fine relative to the ball, his attempt to cut it out was the issue

15. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

Got caught badly for Sane goal bit the difference is he will learn from it unlike the likes of Lovren. Gomez for me has all the attributes to become a top defender and will only get better.

16. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

On the goal , thought a Matip was also poor seemed to get turned to easily as for Karius .

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's one of our biggest problems Rocco, players mistake, they happen constantly throughout a game but usually you'd expect someone can dig you out of a hole. After Gomez made the mistake, he had a chance to atone for it, Matip could have done him a favour by digging him out and Karius could have not made a balls of things on his near post (I might be expecting too much of Karius in truth because he is what he is). But we always seem to compound our errors by not finding a way to fix the original problem and following it up with another few!

18. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure about that, credit needs to go to Sane, his control and full pelt was exceptional. He was either getting a shot way or getting a penalty once he roasted Gomez.

19. Melion

Melion
    Expand Collapse

Gomez misjudging the flight of the ball was his only mistake. His positioning was fine and he actually recovered well to get back in to a decent defensive position, I'm sure he didn't expect Karius to be beaten so easily at his near post.

Stevie S likes this.
  20. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Yes credit to Sane , but still thought we had 3 chances to stop it .