This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Wales V Ireland

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Sorry. Just seen that. Was sure we were two nil up against Serbia.

2. D7Hooper

D7Hooper
    Expand Collapse

Just back from Cardiff, what a night :) Had to get the 06:50 flight and straight into work, I'm in a bleedin heap ;)

Deserved the win I felt, Wales offered next to nothing really, bar Kanu's header, our back 4 were immense, midfield worked their socks off, have to mention Arter, his Ireland career to date has been average at best, but he stepped up to the mark last night, great dummy for the goal.

The tenacity of Hendrick, Meyler and McClean was a sight to behold I have to say.

Good banter in the ground, "Your're just a crap Northern Ireland" from them, we replied,
    "Your're just a shit piece of England". My voice is fooked, a long time since we sang as loud and as long as last night

Some of the Welsh (Cardiff fans mainly) were extremely confident, to an obnoxious, almost Engerland fans level before the game, so to see them slope off after was deadly :)

In fairness, most we met after the game had no complaints and wished us well for the play-offs.

All in all, great trip, let's hope we avoid Portugal and Italy next Tuesday, I'd still give this team every chance against anyone when it's do or die, but Denmark, or Bosnia, if that plays out would be Ok.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Apparently we have more competitive away wins against higher ranked teams in the last 12 months than we managed in the previous 30 years.

4. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Ireland are the only team from pot 4 still in with a chance of qualifying.

GaryMc and Stevie S like this.
  5. LKDAVE

LKDAVE
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yep, Scotland away in 87, A Lawro goal, was the last before Austria and now Wales, had loads of draws v higher ranked sides in the intervening years.

Of course we have had big results when we got to tournaments as well

#45 LKDAVE, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    babbsnads likes this.
  6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

To be fair to some of those managers down the years their teams were ranked a lot higher and had less opportunities but still good going.

LKDAVE and diceyreilly like this.
  7. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Great performance last night. The defence, McClean and Myler were superb. Duffy may not have a lot of pace but he's unbelievable in the air. Could be a very good player for the next few years. Fair play to O'Neill he really knows how to organise a defence. Some of those big 1-0 wins we've seen out - Germany, Italy, Austria and last night were a lot less nervy than watching Liverpool trying to hold on to a lead.

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

If Liverpool started playing like that Klopp would be out of a job before the end of November.

elvis likes this.
  9. KopHaney

KopHaney
    Expand Collapse

If they start defending like that he might be still in a job at the end of November !!

10. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Meant our home game which was miserable to be at!

Usually sort myself tickets for games but away until.end month so fingers crossed for playoffs!

Colm75 likes this.
  11. kopdub

kopdub
    Expand Collapse

I'm ok with flags, that bleedin clap thing is a pain in the ring! Luckily only a fad

Irishkop96 likes this.
  12. kopdub

kopdub
    Expand Collapse

Delighted with the win, roll on play offs

13. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

As of right now according to ITV there could be a Ireland v NI playoff. New Fifa ranking's out next Monday. It won't be possible then.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

For me, Switzerland would be the team to get, I know they beat Portugal once and that's fair enough (Ronaldo wasn't playing) but they were in a group with Hungary, Latvia, Andorra and the Faroes.

15. kopdub

kopdub
    Expand Collapse

Denmark would also be a decent option, were a model for Italy or Croatia though:cool::)

16. thenewguy

thenewguy
    Expand Collapse

Anyone else starting to overthink what to do about November international? I don't really see fans (especially of the away team) being back that soon but at the same time I'm thinking if I'm going there at all I should be booking flights soon . They are likely to go well up