This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Virgil Van Dijk

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Ron1892, Dec 27, 2017.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I'm delighted we're not letting this lie. The incident with Virgil lasted over 3 minutes, offside can't have taken more than a minute. We now have a total of 2 VAR officials, 1 FIFA ref and 2 linesmen with nothing to do for 2 minutes bar speak to each other. I forgot the law is not an acceptable answer. The Manè one stinks but maybe that one would be easier to get over if blatantly obvious cheating hadn't done us already. Also don't forget all of those officials above are well aware of the cock up by the time the 2nd half starts so it looks like a willingness to conspire against us.

I've excluded the 4th official as he probably had to keep Klopp from ripping one of their heads off.

babbsnads likes this.
  2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yep,the officials need a proper independent body to monitor them and their behaviour. What I will say though is I have no issue with the officials on the Mane offside. Saw it explained yesterday and it appears they did their job correctly on that one.

3. red2005

red2005
    Expand Collapse

I can accept the Mane one now after hearing the reason behind it, but the reason I heard for the tackle was unreal it went like this
    there was 3 things to look at 1 was he offside, 2 was it a penalty, 3 dangerous play red card. they looked at 2 first was it a penalty-yes then back to 1 was he offside yes so that negates the penalty and then they just forgot to look at 3 dangerous play red card. Beggars belief, open to correction here but I thought there was 3 lads looking at the monitors in stockley park and with only 1 (Coote in this case) making the final decision, how they all forgot is beyond me.

4. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Where did you see that they said they forgot to look at the red?

5. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I dont think he set out to injure him either, but he's a loose cannon & had this type of over exuberant dopey challenge in him. He already had done a carbon copy tackle on dele Ali. It needed to be nipped at the bud then & it wasnt & now sadly because of that he felt empowered to do it again, so to prevent a shot or poxy goal he makes a braindead tackle, to VVD & our detriment. So with no punishment theres a good chance he'll do this again in the same situation!

Theres no guarantee that viril will be the same player when he comes back, could lose pace, mobility, be susceptible to niggly injuries etc. we gotta hope he does!

#525 RedPaddy, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  6. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

)
    I think, was it the sheffield United v villa game goal behind the line is up there too..

7. red2005

red2005
    Expand Collapse

On Sky sports yesterday ref watch

8. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Excellent summing up.
    I saw that on ref watch too

9. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Ah ok, I don't watch that so I'm not sure who the refs are on it etc. But the FA stated that Michael Oliver and David Coote (VAR) reviewed the issue and decided no action was necessary, and then the PGMOL have said that David Coote did indeed look at the challenge and decided no red card was warranted. And finally the PGMOL have since refuted that VAR "forgot" to look at the incident.

The issue here though is David Coote himself, he had his hand slapped for a missed red card in Spurs/Chelsea and was supposed to "learn" from his mistake.

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Didn’t hear the reason for the Mane offside? What was the explanation ?

11. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

The gist of it is that under the new rule, his sleeve put him offside. As you can score with your sleeve.

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Mother of suffrin jaysus :confused:

13. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

Ditto o_O
    Am I blind, for me VVD was onside just before he was assaulted ?!

14. Tarabuses

Tarabuses
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

That is pure nonsense. A sleeve is an inanimate object and so cannot score. It is the arm inside the sleeve that can score and so it should only be the position of the arm that matters.

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Whatever the situation with Mane and the explanation I hate what it's become, I'd rather they left the millimeters out of this and just ruled with what's on the field unless it's an obvious miss. They've created an answer to a problem that didn't exist.

16. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Gini going in hard enough here. No way he is saying this without backing of manager

17. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

Good man Gini!

18. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

That's the way it's looking now. I was all for bringing in VAR, to allow replays to make the correct decision. But the way they are deciding on things is so questionable and subjective now.

I think giving the management/captain 3 challenges per match (like tennis) would be the best outcome. It would reduce the amount of times VAR was used, and teams would only request its usage for game changing incidents.

19. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Taking in Van will be having surgery soon enough , probably later this week , near the weekend .

20. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Operation completed In London the club website confirmed. Let's hope for good recovery

LFCRebel likes this.