This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

had a check earlier and couldn't find any comment from any of the 3 sitting tds in Dublin north west, just checked again there and this popped up, somebody must've had a word.

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Scum

padski08 and Gerry like this.
  3. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Lowest of the low.

babbsnads likes this.
  4. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sickening
    The world is a sick place at times.

babbsnads likes this.
  5. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

How the yanks are still bank rolling these tramps. This is horrible on all levels

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Growing number of unexplained hepatitis cases in young children across Europe. 13 so far in Ireland with one child sadly passing and another having to have a liver transplant. This shit is never ending.

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

What's the reckoning on the cause? A Covid related thing, Jesus that's horrendous that a child died and one with a liver transplant which is in itself a life changing issue

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It's hard to say at this point but they do think there's a good chance its covid related. Most of the children effected are unvaccinated.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Reading about Gardai in Cork asking a Centra to stop selling Animal Bars(they're a chocolate bar)because of how popular they are among heroin users takes me back to my days as a kid where users would offer you a Kit Kat they'd just bought to avoid it going to waste. Tragic and funny all at the same time. It really was a grim time growing up in the inner city at the end of the 80's/early 90's, the extent of heroin addiction was unreal. And in a weird contradiction it was also a great place to grow up for a lot of us. Great sense of community.

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

don't remember that but I do recall people where I lived sending their kids to neighbour's doors to ask for tin foil, equally as grim.

Shane_90, babbsnads and Gerry like this.
  11. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Kit kat changed the wrapper because of that years ago.some grim takes on addicts on twitter.

babbsnads likes this.
  12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think the tinfoil on the likes of Kit Kate,Caramel bars or these days Animal bars does the job better than cooking tinfoil because it's thinner or something.

13. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

That Kitkat gave me a flash back to my own childhood and my neighbour, who was only 8 years old than me, offered to cut my hair with a garden sheers for a pound

he wasnt meaning to be threatening, just desperate for cash and asking all the local lads. I was only 10 at the time and we got a great laugh out of it and talked about it for years

only with time you realise how things actually were

babbsnads likes this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Call me a cynic,but I'm not convinced Adrian wants a genuine national conversation on this issue.

Gerry likes this.
  15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Just saw a headline on ITV news about a rail strike in Scotland. Rail workers are refusing to work on their allocated days off. That's not a strike.

16. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

And did he do a decent job in the end?

17. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

He ended up homeless,later got locked up and has Since died before hitting 30.

Always thought I’d Dragons den was around back then, he could of being onto a winner - get your haircut and garden clipped in one service

Shane_90 likes this.
  18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

He was on the radio this morning.

As suspected,he doesn't want a national conversation. He has 1 demand that he's dishonestly advocating for,and absolutely nothing to offer apart from that. He wants a cut in the jobseekers allowance because yes, a 208 euro a week payment is why your industry is understaffed mate.

19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I was expecting him to look for some sort of government funded job bridge for hospitality, he took an entirely different course. I don't know exactly how profitable your average bar or restaurant is but it's an incredibly people heavy business so getting and keeping staff is obviously a huge issue for them because of low wages in the Industry and it's obviously not a very family friendly lifestyle as your hours are awful and your typically at your busiest when everyone else is off work.

He'd be better off trying to get something done about the single biggest issue for low paid workers which is the ridiculous cost of rent/housing. We're a disgrace.

Shane_90, babbsnads and bobby benitez like this.
  20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if he's a bit of a simpleton,or whether he's just grandstanding to make it look like he's doing something for what is probably a shrinking membership. But if we look at it on the basis it's the latter then he'll realise asking for more government subsidies through a job bridge type programme after so much taxpayer money was spent during covid,will see almost universal criticism towards him. On the other hand you'll always get a positive reaction from some sections of society by having a pop at social welfare recipients,and you'll get plenty of airtime too.