This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

We must be close to a point now where unionists need to actually sell the union to voters. Yes they'll always have their staunch supporters for it no matter what but a generation has grown up with aspirations beyond nationalism and unionism,people want to have a decent life and better prospects for their kids,and its looking like a very tough sales pitch for the hardline unionists because people are starting to look for logic in their arguments,not exactly their strong point.

Its a similar situation with Sinn Fein this side of the border. FF/FG can't rely on shouting IRA anymore everytime they're on the back foot,it's not resonating with people trying to have a decent life,they don't care and its turning voters towards SF who might previously have cared. An editorial in the Indo last week warned FF/FG to stop using that tactic to deflect as it was having the opposite effect of what is intended. The Indo of all papers,they've been worse for it than either of those parties. But sure enough,after last weeks poll came out showing Sinn Fein in the lead,they didn't have one article or column attacking them,that's the first time thats happened in I don't know how long. Normally they always have something ready to go,but instead they just glossed over the thing as a whole.

Irishkop96 likes this.
  2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I don't pay too much attention to the news but I'm pretty sure I heard the taoiseach said last weekend that SF need to apologise for the actions of the IRA over the years, or words to that effect

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

He's a moron. He knows plenty in his party would much rather be in a coalition with SF than FG and for him to survive as leader, he has to find a way of coming around to it without looking like he's abandoning his "principles". Making a condition that Sinn Fein could never and would never adhere to is just another example of how terrible he is at politics.

Him becoming Taoiseach reminds me of when I was a kid and was desperate for a skateboard for ages. When I finally got it I was absolutely shite on it and regretted ever wanting it in the first place.

If there is a small defence for how woeful hes been when it comes to communicating with the public, its probably that Varadkar has been trying to undermine him and steal his thunder since he took over. They feel they have to get their message out because if they don't,Leo will beat him to the punch and look like the statesman, so we're getting a muddled mess. I've switched off a lot from it, but yesterday showed how little they trust each other with messaging that only added to peoples anxiety levels.

4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

At this stage I’d more interested in an apology from his party for their part in the recession. How many people did their mistakes send to an early grave? That in my opinion has had a bigger impact on society as we know it today than anything that happened in the last century. It’s over 25 years on from the ceasefire,
    Most of SF were not involved in the party then and at this stage this constant referring to the past is doing Michael Martin more harm than good. Cant stand listening to him on any topic.

5. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

The main difference is that Micheal doesn't regret taking it on however shit he has been and would still take it on again if starting from day 1 in the morning.

babbsnads likes this.
  6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

You're probably right, but considering it was the legacy he was chasing, it's not much of one. He avoids the tag of being the first FF leader to not be Taoiseach, but the way him and Varadkar have devalued the office by sharing it will be a black mark on both of them,and its very possible the next FF leader will never be Taoiseach because of how shite he's been. One thing he can say that Varadkar can't is at least he had a mandate from the electorate to be Taoiseach.

LFCRebel likes this.
  7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

If I was on a radio quiz and they were firing questions at me I would instantly say Varadkar if asked who the Taoiseach is. It always take my brain a few seconds to adjust when I see or hear Martin when the word Taoiseach is mentioned. He never learned from the mistakes of Roy Evans.

babbsnads likes this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I hope this knocks the bollox out of the gig economy, billionaires making an absolute killing and won't even give their staff the basic employment rights that are enshrined in law. It's an absolute disgrace that it's gotten as far as it has.

Garrett and bobby benitez like this.
  10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Its obviously correct and right that workers are given decent terms and conditions but because as a society we let things like this go for so long,its now at the point where people are going to have to suffer for it to be put right. Uber are already trying to weasel a way around it but when they're eventually forced to come into line there will be job losses that will allow them to argue that this is a bad thing,they'll throw in the rise in prices for consumers too. If your business model is illegal then you don't have a business model,but because its been operating for so long, doing the right thing has negative side effects.

Its like our housing market. The quickest way to get houses built now,not only will never solve the housing problem,but it involves giving sweetheart deals on public land(land that we need to actually solve the problem) to developers. But object to any of those developments,and you're accused of stopping or delaying the delivery of much needed houses,and solving the problem will create victims. Its not just a very common tactic,it's a centuries old tactic. Similar arguments were used to campaign against abolishing slavery.

11. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

4 years and 2 years in Jail is hardly a deterrent for this sort of stuff. They will be out in no time and am sure have plenty of extra cash tucked away for when they get out.

Imagine you went into a bank in wigs and robbed it of 400k at night. You’d get 10 years minimum.

Garrett likes this.
  13. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Protest in Dublin today
    What is missing in these protesters lives
    We are in the middle of a world pandemic, it isn't made up ffs

Garrett likes this.
  14. Beano87

Beano87
    Expand Collapse

That protest didnt look peaceful either from the videos that are going around

15. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I read somewhere that Ireland has had the longest continuous lockdown in all of Europe.
    Not justifying the protest but that's some stat if true.
    With Laurel and Hardy in charge my blood would be boiling at the way things have been handled there.

16. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Its every Irish persons right to protest, but not in the middle of a lockdown
    Do these protesters have some magic formula to make Covid disappear

17. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

IMG-20210227-WA0019.jpg

Garrett likes this.
  18. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Back to school is where they should go
    Learn how to spell ffs

Tarabuses likes this.
  19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Is it Gemma O'Dohertys hen party? *

*stolen

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Great news that Direct Provision will be abolished. People will make arguments for it,but they're strikingly similar to the arguments being made for mother and baby homes back in the day. Future generations will look at the system with as much disgust as we do mother and baby homes. Let's hope the transition is handled well.​

bobby benitez and Shane_90 like this.