This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Dubfan likes this.
  2. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Only 65? Thought he'd be closer to 75

GaryMc likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Yeah I think because he was on the panel with Giles you assume he is a lot older. Giles was 80 recently.

LFCRebel likes this.
  4. sligo fan

sligo fan
    Expand Collapse

This is on Virgin Media One on Sunday, March 28 at 9pm. Pete Thomas and Gabriel Clarke’s documentary chronicles some of the most iconic moments in the history of Irish football as the boys on green take on the world at Euro ’88, Italia ’90, and USA ’94. The film features contributions from Jack’s family for the first time, including his wife Pat and son John. They are supported by major figures in football, music, film, and politics. The documentary also features unseen archive footage, capturing behind the scenes with Jack and the Ireland team during the World Cup in 1990 and on the road to their qualification for the 1994 World Cup in the USA. Charlton was much-loved in Ballina, where he and his wife Pat bought a house at the height of his managerial career in 1991. ‘Big Jack’ was an avid fisherman and the house in Moy Heights allowed him direct access to the River Moy’s prime salmon and trout angling spots.

Thought this might be of interest.

xRedmanLFCx and thenewguy like this.
  5. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Kelliher ruled out of the Serbia game due to injury. A big blow for Ireland and I am sure for Caoimhin, I would think with the way Kenny wants us to build more from the back he would be the ideal keeper.

6. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0329/1206797-kenny-more-suited-to-an-academy-role-says-hand/

Interesting take from Eoin Hand on the Stephen Kenny situation. Hand is the last manager to go from the LoI to the international set-up (Brian Kerr spent several years in the underage international scene post St Pats) so I'd listen to what he has to say.

Hand was different to Kenny insofar as he had much better players at his disposal but his luck was awful. Disgraceful refereeing decisions against Belgium and Bulgaria kept us from a WC and EC.

I was in Lansdowne Road in 1981 when we beat France 3-2 and again in 1982 when we drew 3-3- with Spain. Great teams & half the Liverpool team was playing! Lawrenson, Robinson, Beglin & Whelan.

He makes some good points re Kenny.

7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Stephen Kenny has called out the human rights issues in Qatar in his press conference today, I hope all of their sports sponsorships eventually bite them in the arse and ultimately brings great attention to their shocking human rights records rather than whitewashing them as they had intended.

9. randywatson

randywatson
    Expand Collapse

I'm presuming most people here watched the jack Charlton documentary this weekend.

One thing that really stood out to me was the respect Charlton had of his players and the fans.

It makes me wonder if Stephen Kenny can ever succeed with the Irish team.

Regardless of the players at our disposal, which we can all agree on are pretty poor. The man himself doesn't exactly hold the attention of the room does he.

Just take klopp as an example, in his first Liverpool press conference, the infamous one when he called himself the "normal one", he had everyone eating out of his hands.

Could Kenny do that.... I really don't know.....

10. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Anytime I see or hear Stephen Kenny I always think that he's the Irish Brendan Rodgers.

11. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

He has been incredibly unfortunate with players missing and the players we have are not at a quality which will qualify you for anything at international level. Getting the reality that we won't qualify out of the way might be the best thing for a project which involves trying to change the way we play, which will take time. I'm not saying it will be successful but I would rather commit to the project for the rest of the campaign than keep changing horses mid-stream. I don't really get the Rodgers bashing either, think he did his best for us and brought us on from a turbulent time before that.

12. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Who bashed Rodgers?

I assume it was meant towards me, but I was actually using it as a compliment for Stephen Kenny, he's not overly charismatic but he has his footballing beliefs, I think he's the right man for the job and agree we need a project. I've said it many times over the years that Ireland needed to go the Wales route and take losing to awful teams and take getting a hiding if it meant in 5 years we'd have a competent team that play attractive football.

#1312 elvis, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

One thing that seems to have tailed off is the supply of English/Scottish players willing to play for us. In 80/90s you had top players willing to come who really didn’t have that much affinity with Ireland. Is it a case now that with expanded squads, more friendlies, English lads in particular hold out for that hope of winning an English cap. Also seems to be more better sponsorship if you are involved with England.

I have no doubt that if Grealish or Rice were coming through the ranks, they would have been picked up by Charlton in an instant back in the 80s. Imagine our prospects now under Kenny if both of them were available.

Was Irish football really producing tonnes of good players in 80/90s that have dried up, or have we reverted to the natural place in the chain now we can’t seem to get players through the Granny rule.

14. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Well he's certainly making sure we boycott.

Honestly all talk and these t-shirts other nations wore are all waffle. Play our u18s and let their manager lead the team as sign of boycott if really want to make a stand but have to fulfil the fixture for whatever reason.

15. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Sorry elvis, I didn't get the analogy. I would have thought that the main criticisms of Rodgers was that he was all talk/style and no substance. I wouldn't have thought of him as being like Kenny at all.

16. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Ireland playing a friendly Qatar in Eastern Europe with no one attending. The most pointless game of football in history

17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Luxembourg 1 up on Portugal. I told you they are no longer minnows.

thenewguy likes this.
  18. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

International football is seriously bad at the moment. One decent player and you’ve half a chance of getting a result. Unfortunately we don’t have any.
    Think Luxembourg have scored too early though. Portugal have many decent players and will prob win in the end. Be brilliant if they lost though.

19. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Minnows getting beaten now

20. randywatson

randywatson
    Expand Collapse

We're getting outplayed here by Qatar.

Crikey