This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool v Leeds 7.45pm 29/10/22

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by xRedmanLFCx, Oct 29, 2022.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Outrun by 11 km. I don't know how we fix this.

2. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Our players could run more

vodkacolly likes this.
  3. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

We might need new owners soon so. It's been a miracle we have done what we have under Klopp and yet really we're unlucky not to have won another league or two and another champions league.

Much smaller clubs are out spending us. We could have another period out of the champions league places once Klopp finishes up.

4. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

Our bench last night summed up the season for me.
    There wasn’t much creative backup to come on when we needed a change
    It was clear at half time we were struggling in midfield

I’ve no idea what the solution is, but I trust Klopp does. I’m just hoping it’s what we all want

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

We can't unfortunately, the lads are willing but their bodies just can't carry them through it. I wonder did we get our preseason all wrong, I remember reading that we'd done something funny to account for the WC.

6. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

A lack of money spent is not the explanation behind our poor performances. More money spent doesn't make us run further. More money spent doesn't avoid mistakes.

It was apparent in the very first league game away to Fulham that the players were tired. Mentally tired after last season. This is a squad that almost won the quadruple. As touched on, in a few months we went from two games away from the quadruple to being a mid-table team. That's not due to lack of investment.

Beating Man City 2 weeks ago showed the Liverpool on paper, and a noisy Anfield, is still there and can still produce what we're capable of. Some good results in Europe as well and we're already qualified with a game to spare. We're not far from the top.

Top 4 is not gone. No way. If we win our game in hand we're only 5pts off top 4. There's 26 more games to play.

In the Covid season 2020/21, we won 7 of our last 9 games and drew the other 2 (including Alisson's header v West Brom) to clinch top 4 after being miles off it a few months previous (we finished 3rd).
    Last season, we were 8 points behind Man City in January but we brought it back to a point and to the final game of the season.

People have short memories.

Niall likes this.
  7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Sorry mate,but that's the kind of entitlement that destroys clubs or sees them with owners that destroy the fabric of the club. And we're not being outspent by much smaller clubs. The biggest correlation between money and success is the wage bill. Measure our wage bill against the small clubs you think are outstanding us and get back to me. We have no right to be competing against a club backed by an oil states sovereign wealth fund,but we have because we've been an incredibly clever and well run club. But we suffer because of that success and now we're talking about needing new owners?

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure it's not down to lack of effort. We've also been out sprinted 11 times this season,which is more than that's happened in the last 3 seasons combined. I highly doubt the players became lazy over the summer break.

Gerry likes this.
  9. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

Any chance the players are peeved with the pandering to Salah & the resulting huge contract?
    Meanwhile we let a real jewel in our crown in mane, leave without a whimper or resistance..

10. leixlip kopite

leixlip kopite
    Expand Collapse

Went over for this game and have to say the atmosphere was brutal. Leeds fans outsang us all night. As for the problems on the pitch I don't know where to start. Handing them an absolute gift in the 1st few mins was always gonna make it tough. Outrun by 11km too. Midfield seemed non existant. Thiago(who I absolutely love) wasn't up to normal self in 1st half. Fabinho just looks like a shadow of his former self. Still undecided on nunez, great in spells and woeful other times. Don't know how klopp gonna fix this. Defo need Diaz and jota back ASAP

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  11. TrueRed92

TrueRed92
    Expand Collapse

We need to tighten up. We're too open. We can't win with our intensity we need to learn to win a different way. Klopp needs to realise the tactics he's playing no longer work with this group of players. We've the quality in the squad to punisg most teams in the league but we need to stop conceding

12. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

I know mate. I was being facetious

babbsnads likes this.
  13. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I'm no FSG apologist I think there should always be an eye on owner's and ours are no different but agree with your points. Not forgetting the investment in the main stand, Kirby and the current construction of new Annie Road end. These projects have surely had an effect on what is and isn't available to the transfer kitty and hopefully frees up some funds in the coming seasons.

Maybe Linda can have a word in the meantime for some legs in midfield.

14. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

A lot of our lads seem to only have 2 speeds atm. Attacking speed or walking. I lost count of how many times yesterday when if he didnt have the ball TAA was walking around swinging his arms. And he was far from the only one.

I'd hate to see the numbers if Robbo and Nunez were taken out of the total.

We also seem to be gone back to this ponderous playing the ball across the defence for 10-20 passes that go absolutely nowhere- I dont know what we are expecting the opposition to do while we do that - all suddenly run to one side of the pitch so we can make progress?

Even apart from Gomez's assist, the passing was shocking from our lads. We cannot seem to play a ball into midfield that doesnt require the intended recipient to turn and face our own goal and in a lot of cases race Leeds midfielders to get there first and play the ball straight back to Gomez or VVD to start another session of keep ball.

About the best thing Gomez has done in the past few weeks is he has taken the focus from TAA

Finally - losing 2 two on ones to allow that winner should be punishable with a slap of a 3 week old haddock

15. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Ah look in general I've been delighted with what FSG have done with the Klopp. Anyone who really looks at the difference since they took over would find it hard to argue against them being good owners.

We've all been so lucky that we've had Klopp and Edwards though. I worry about an FSG owned Liverpool post Klopp. You can see Klopp himself is very frustrated at times with the lack of investment.

I'm aware we have a high wage bill but at times it seems we take too many risks in the transfer market by not buying at the right time. Previously it was thinking 3 centre backs was enough with two of them prone to injury. This season thinking we could rely on an ageing midfield and players like Naby and Ox who are constantly injured.

Hopefully the owners can learn to risk a bit more in the market at times as Klopp would like them to and Klopp can be backed build another great side.

16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

that's a shocking stat, especially considering it was against a team in the relegation zone, probably outran last weekend too.

17. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Michael Edwards added to the list :D

babbsnads likes this.
  18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

First time in PL history anybody has lost to the team that was bottom of the league two games in a row.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

A thread laying out what we actually spend as opposed to the headline transfer net spend figures that people use to claim were operating on a shoestring. I'm not saying we don't make mistakes and haven't left ourselves short at times, but a it should offer a bit of perspective for the FSG out crew. Be careful what you wish for.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

What that doesn't mention is City's dodginess we're competing against. I believe a huge part of our problems are psychological, we have literally done everything we could and it still wasn't enough. That has to be damaging to the spirit of everyone within the club.

That thread shows they sold players for £125m* that they would have signed as academy players, ie excluded from FFP. They sign these lads by the dozen and if they work out (like Zinchenko) then great, if they don't then they just flog them because they were very highly rated to begin with and add it to the transfer kitty. That allows them sign a Grealish or Halaand every 2 years.

*Jesus was sold for 47m and isn't included, he may have been signed early enough to be an academy signing. Sterling may have fitted that criteria too.