This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Can't remember the last posts I deleted on the site , well leave the thread on topic for what it's about.

vodkacolly and Joedared like this.
  2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Looks like the extra bins didn't have the impact some people expected. A big crowd in Ireland means a big mess,that's just how it is. Doesn't mean dirtbirds shouldn't be called out or that more bins weren't needed, but last week was nothing new.

I don't envy the job the gardai have, it looked to me like they went overboard last night but they're being asked to enforce policy that doesn't tally with what politicians are saying and no matter what they do they'll get criticised. Its not just the government hanging them out to dry either,the opposition are doing it from the opposite direction. Every day when the weather is decent now its going to be like policing a major event,only without the usual resources and logistical support they'd normally have for major events. I think the funniest thing I saw from last night was people blaming Tony Holohans tweet last week for the missiles thrown at the guards. Yeah,I'm sure those people arrested were boiling with rage because of his tweets.

I think with covid we've developed a habit of only sympathising with those on "our side of the argument". So we sympathise with people who've suffered under the decisions made, but we don't sympathise with gardai/politicians/NPHET who have been trying to do an incredibly difficult job. It's fashionable to be concerned about the mental health of people struggling with lockdown, but its not fashionable to be concerned about those struggling with lockdown coming to an end(and there's plenty). Remember when we used to clap for frontline workers? The appreciation has long since went away because people forget how fearful we were of covid and the stress involved with being a front line worker earlier in the pandemic.

Nuance is dead,everything is binary and in some ways its understandable. If I'd lost my job and was struggling, I can't say I'd be capable of seeing the stress involved for people not "on my side of the argument". But I'll never forget the way so many have minimised death because most of the dead were elderly, and it makes me sad how many have been radicalised by stupid fucking conspiracy theories, people who never could have been taken in like that in normal times. Genuinely had no intention of a rant when I started this post, but that's where it went so fuck it.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  3. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Said in previous post the one's with a conscience will look back in shame at their behaviour.

It's not about covid fatigue. It's not about stress or mental health. It's about cnuts being cnuts because in today's social media society that's whats its led to. A city, my city looking like a fuckin tournament match day for Engerlund.

Boils the blood. And all those fuckwits hijacking the national flag with their spoon fed shite can fuck off as well. It's sickening.

Apologies for the language

4. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

What’s that about pal? Didn’t see anything about it. Just seen the trouble.

5. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Nothing to do with the kids mate just the Paddy version of Brexiteers.

Ron1892 likes this.
  6. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

The arse holes burning bins and what not will always be arse holes.
    But closing off places like Stephen’s green and Portobello just means theres more arse holes in one spot.
    i can make absolutely no sense of it.

7. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Northern Ireland bringing back live music and dancing in July all going well. We better announce something like this,or everyone will be heading north of the border

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Talked to a lad in work today, his mate died from covid last week. He was 33.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

That's actually harrowing hearing that, just doesn't bear thinking about.

babbsnads likes this.
  10. Tarabuses

Tarabuses
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Off you go.

11. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Definitely will be

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

One of the lads in work has been taken into hospital with covid, he's in his early 40's.

Just watching a Gogglebox here from the start of the pandemic. An old man living in horrible conditions in a council flat in London and who had no family,had a social worker visit. She went to bat for him and organised to have his flat redecorated and he went into a home while it was being carried out. The mixture of the man's dignity and the feel good factor of knowing he'd be coming back to a home he deserved was really uplifting. Then the social worker explained how he'd been admitted to hospital after a fall,contracted covid and died. Heartbreaking.

It just reminded me of how many people are still downplaying deaths by pointing to the average age of those who died. There's a man in his 80's who only had himself, but was a credit to himself and this world. But somehow theres fuckers who are promoting the idea old peoples lives are worth less. It makes me so fucking angry. Weigh up the situation,sure. But I'll never understand people dismissing the importance of a life because that person is old. And we've all forgotten younger people are still getting very sick and dying.

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It was one of the narratives that was being spun from the very start by everyone from senior politicians around the world to doctors and the media obviously went along with it. I understand that a huge part of this is managing public hysteria and avoiding panic but when the dust had started to settle it became an uncomfortable argument being put forward by anyone who wasn't happy with having any minor infraction put on their daily life. And so the right wing ran with this narrative that we didn't need to worry about this as it was only a danger to the elderly and people with underlying health conditions, most Governments were still typically releasing the age of deaths just to remind people that it was only old people that were dying and further playing into the hands of these right wing nut jobs! What amazed me about even these muppets going along with this line is that all of them know people who are elderly and in vulnerable categories, it's just incredibly selfish and ties in nicely with what we already know about them.

On a much more serious note Mick, Gogglebox?? Isn't that the show where you're watching people watch television? I didn't realise that was still going, is it actually watchable?

14. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Gogglebox is excellent TV, handy program when you can't agree what to watch.

I have had a couple of huge arguments in recent weeks over age related deaths. A couple of people have died within a few months of getting the vaccine. They were in the age category that was dispensable a few months ago but now the vaccine definitely killed them. The hypocrisy is disgusting, my argument was cunts like you don't get to choose which old people die.

babbsnads likes this.
  15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Gogglebox is one of the best things on TV. I'm still waiting for Channel 4 to get back to me about my idea for a show. The format is we film people watching Gogglebox. I'm going to be a millionaire.

16. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I submitted a similar proposol to them sometime between the 2nd and 3rd episode of Gogglebox series 1. I'm still waiting to hear back also.

babbsnads likes this.
  17. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

This fella hits it on head. Time Tony got his finger out of arse and use antigen tests.

18. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'm interested in watching what's going on in the UK at the moment where they've slowed the roll back of the last few restrictions, they're ahead of us in vaccinations and are seeing huge increases at the moment. It's all well and good for him to make broad strokes about what the Dutch and Belgians are doing but it could all well end in tears and Cuddihy won't be the one with his neck on the chopping block if there's another big setback.

19. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Biggest problem in the UK is vaccine gaps. 1st shot ain't working as well against this one. They need the 2nd one. I think they have closed the gap between 1st and 2nd jabs.

20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

No matter what way you look at it the UK have about 45% of their population who are fully vaccinated and we only have about 20%, regardless of their decision to delay the second shot it just goes to show that ever with a much larger % fully vaccinated the country is still at risk of further waves of the virus, that's just the sad reality we're faced with. We're going to be a good while getting to 60% which is I think where Israel got to and they've had little or no impact from their return to normal life so perhaps rather than rushing it and risking further setbacks we continue on this gradual path and hopefully when we get through certain thresholds of vaccinations we can see all of the things we want coming back with little or no restriction.

Irishkop96 likes this.