This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Wait until Poots becomes leader. Foster will look like a moderate. I hope the people voted for dup go to another party. This party needs wiped out

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

He will be more extreme mate,but my point is that the rhetoric should never be that Foster was moderate. It should be Foster was an extremist and Poots is even more extreme. Otherwise we end up in a place where the DUP can gain some sort of respectability by coming back to where they were under Foster.

Irishkop96 likes this.
  3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I honestly think it's so hard to judge people out of a particular subset without having the context of those around them. Everyone is shaped by their environment, if you think about some of the people who are active members of SF up North you'd be forgiven for never wanting anything to do with that party either but they need to be judged with the full context of where they're at and the recent past that they've tried to leave behind. Whatever mad world the DUP belong to in the North is where it is, they seem to be the largest party up there with about 30% of the vote so they obviously represent a fairly significant chunk of the voter base up there. Like Republicans under Trump the people that followed the party didn't change overnight but Trump legitimised their vile behaviour and took them out of the realm where they had to pretend to be something other than what they were. It didn't make them nicer people but it kept them more in line.

I'm happy enough to acknowledge that Arlene Foster is not in any way a moderate by any normal standard but by the DUP's standards it now appears that they found her impossibly moderate for their tastes and we're now going to have her replaced with someone worse who is going to create much more tension and divide in the North. Being the best of a bad lot is still better than being the worst of a bad lot even if it's only in the context of how bad you are against people who are worse than you. So I do agree with you that we shouldn't claim the DUP are moderate but I'd be happy to see Foster being praised for being more moderate than others if it might help drag that party into the 19th century.

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The thing that separates them from most other parties in the world is one policy dominates above all others. These dinosaurs policies they follow probably only appease a tiny number of their support and wouldn't have any affect on the rest of the base if they went full circle from one month to the next. Once the flags are flying a black muslim trans person baking cakes for gay men can go about their business freely. Irene is dust because she didn't hate the Irish enough.

5. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Overall, I see this as a positive. These are the death throes of a sick old man raging against the dying of the light. They are now outnumbered demographically, outnumbered in parliament and completely outnumbered by society, who are sick of their puritanical bigoted religious beliefs. These are a people who were used to getting their own way even when they were democratically outvoted (gerrymandering of the vote in Derry). They had a military force which was protecting their position in society. They had all the jobs. They had the police. None of that will ever come back, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Best of all, a suppressed catholic community learned that to get ahead they needed to be well educated. Meanwhile, the unionist community who, if your father worked in H&W, you worked in H&W, didn't put the same value on education. You now have a load of unemployed thick as shit bigots but that is better than educated bigots in power. The power base has shifted. They are very like Trump voters in America in so many ways, it is an expression of anger at a way of life and privilege that you thought you would always have but is gone forever. They need to go through the stages of grief for the old ways and change over time, they will have to come to that realization themselves.

Roll on 19, smarten, GaryMc and 6 others like this.
  6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

That's the best post I've read on here in a long time on any subject. It's not because I agree with every word(which I do), it's how it cuts through the bullshit without wasting 1 word. As somebody who struggles to be concise, I tip my hat.

bobby benitez and Liverpool-law like this.
  7. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Ah stop babbs, I'm blushing now :oops::D

bobby benitez and babbsnads like this.
  8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I don't know enough about the current situation to know how accurate the description is but I heard someone on radio say a few weeks ago that it is like the troubles in reverse.

9. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

For sure. There'll be Palestinian flags at Linfield matches in a few years.

Brothers in arms.

10. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Genuinely excellent post.

11. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

People are robbing ducklings out of rivers/canals and selling them. Parents buying them for their kids who want them because ducks have become a Tick Tock craze. I just don't know anymore.

13. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Jesus Christ

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

My missus was just telling me about that duck thing, I think the people buying them are worse than the people robbing them.

15. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Collected my youngone there and 2 in her class got ducks the weekend. FML the world never ceases to amaze me.

16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Madness but at least there is a chance that the people buying them might look after them. I'd say if the guys trying to sell them can't, they will just kill them/let them die. Even if you buy them and release them, the duckling will most likely not be able to look after itself and survive. Once they have been stolen their only real chance is someone who buys and looks after them.

17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

How much are they charging for these?

18. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Why, how much are you willing to pay? o_O

19. red2005

red2005
    Expand Collapse

5 euro apparently

20. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

What is the point in that fckin Tiktok anyway. I get Twitter and Definately Instragram can generate cash but what is driving money on Tiktok. Don’t hear much about that other shitshow app Snapchat these days, is it still going?

Tarabuses likes this.