This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Covid travel question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SUPERFAN, May 6, 2021.

1. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know if it matters where the PCR test is taken in order to travel to Ireland, does it have to be done in the country you're intending to travel from?
    Might seem like a strange question but my dad is planning on traveling to the uk for a funeral soon, does he have to get the PCR test over there and then travel back 72 hours later or could he get the test done here the day before he travels and then only have to stay in the uk for a night or 2?

2. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

I don't think that a PCR is required between Ireland and UK.
    It's considered the one travel area.
    My brother was back home from the UK in Dec and met no probs at that time.
    I know many things have been introduced since then, But I don't think they apply to Ireland/UK travel

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I thought that was the case also but apparently you do now when travelling in to Ireland, my mam rang the other day and they said he would have to show evidence of a negative PCR test before being allowed to travel back from the uk.
    Not sure who she was talking to, I might get her to ring back and ask if he can get the test done on this side before traveling.

Joedared likes this.
  4. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

So let's say he didn't have test. An traveled back to Dublin. Would they send him back to the UK ?
    Is it the airline that stops you boarding the plane?

5. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

My brother lives in London and he deffo needed to be tested when he was back a few weeks ago.
    He got a test was grand rocked up to the airport and was still refused because it was the wrong test. Had to go back get the approved test and was allowed to board on the next flight.
    Don’t know if things have changed since then.

6. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

My understanding is he wouldn't be allowed travel back to Dublin/Ireland. I think you can get around it by travelling to the north first and then coming down but that would be too much hassle.

7. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

And if you got on the flight and got caught at passport control in Dublin you would have big issues.