This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Virgin Broadband - how is the service ?

Discussion in 'Computers/Gadgets' started by Garrett, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Thanks mate,

I'll certainly have a look at that so.

2. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Had a few calls from Vodafone recently.
    Have broadband with them.
    A rep called yesterday.
    We are been upgraded to gigabyte broadband. It's cheaper than what we currently have.
    They are feeding fibre optic directly to house. He was saying there completely getting rid of the old copper cables. It's part of a government scheme.
    He said they now have over 130 customers in our estate and it's increasing as virgin loosing customers or something.

3. byrnetred

byrnetred
    Expand Collapse

Spent a month trying to get eir broadband into my house, hit a brick wall today, never dealt with a shower like them before. called virgin this morning and my modem is to be delivered tomorrow morning, nice and simple, don't care if it's a few quid extra, only tried eir for the BT package but I'll find a different way to watch that

4. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Ah ha ha. Plenty of ways

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

currently paying 62.50 a month for broadband and home phone, thinking of switching to eir for 40 euro for the same package, is anyone on here with eir and would they recommend it?

6. south

south
    Expand Collapse

I believe the fiber to the home product is decent but other than that it's best avoided. Huge number of complaints about customer service and poor speeds going by a what people have said on boards.ie and elsewhere.

Saying that, I haven't used them myself so maybe others might say different.

Garrett likes this.
  7. MR KING KENNY

MR KING KENNY
    Expand Collapse

Know a few mates that switched from virgin to eir, Vodafone etc and they all came back.

Every year to tell virgin I'm leaving and always get half price for 6 months.

Garrett likes this.
  8. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I've heard and read nothing, but negative comments about Eir - their TV service is poor, their Internet slow and partial to craving, while their customer service apparently stinks. From the sounds of things, they couldn't do any worse if they tried.

I'm with Virgin for broadband, it's reasonably fast and reliable. I called them last year and told them I was thinking of leaving, got a discount to stay.

You can check on the following website, to see if you can get connected to SIRO. If you can, then you've access to a Fibre network other than through Virgin. From what I can gather, SIRO is the wholesaler, but the likes of Sky, Vodafone etc will retail it thereafter.

https://siro.ie/

#28 Garrett, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

cheers lads, looks like i'd be better staying with VM for the time being and maybe getting a discount. SIRO not available in my area yet

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

One thing I dont understand with Eir....their reputation for customer service is as bad as anything I've ever come across. If theres anybody with a good thing to say about them on that score,I've never seen or heard it. So why don't they do anything about it? I've even had a run in with their engineers and I'm not even with them.

11. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Virgin is only available in certain areas, they have their own network that Eir and the likes don't piggy back off. 99% of the time their speeds will be better than anyone else's, Siro will beat them for speed but it's only available in a limited amount of towns.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's an old semi state trying to compete in a private industry, their staff seem to hate working there, their customers seem to hate them and management seem to be completely impervious to both of these issues and have never managed to tackle either - sounds like . They benefit massively from being the incumbent that most people just associate with having a phone/internet but in general I've no idea how they still exist. They might make enough from operating the lines which the own going to houses regardless of your provider (Virgin excluded) that they don't have to tackle any of the aforementioned problems.

13. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

You're talking about 2 seperate companies, OpenEir own the network. Eir, who you see advertised everywhere are a seperate company.

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

They may well be two separate companies but they are a part of the eir group so financially it makes little odds Bobby.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It did cross my mind that being stuck in the old semi state mentality was the problem. I remember what our place was like until they brought in management to change the culture,but the culture did change in a huge way.

Garrett likes this.
  16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Eir seem too focused on short term profits, at almost any cost - cut costs, sell assets, then get someone else to buy the company, and go again. That would certainly impact on staff moral, which in turn causes them to do a poor job, and we know the rest.

Unfortunitely, at this stage, I'm not sure if anyone could turn Eir around, unless they put seriously big money into the company and were prepared to give it several years, before expecting to get any results.

One thing for sure, it doesn't matter how cheap they may appear, they still aren't worth dealing with, unless you want endless grief.

Coincidently, I received the monthly email from Bonkers.ie today and it included this report, showing Eir to have had the most complaints submitted to ComReg

#36 Garrett, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Eir, by refusing to engage with any complaints themselves, seem to nearly use Comreg as a part of their own customer service department. I've had disputes with eir that I genuinely couldn't believe I was actually having with them and through staff, supervisor, manager and senior manager I was met with the same ineptitude. As soon as I got in touch with Comreg it was all sorted in a few days but you've to go the long road before Comreg will get involved.

Garrett likes this.
  18. Timemachine

Timemachine
    Expand Collapse

Folks, looking to get your opinions on broadband with virgin and Vodafone and how they compare. Currently with virgin for broadband. 250mb and paying 60 month. Will try and get them to reduce it to 45 a month as this is what new customers get. Just wondering on anyone that has Vodafone, how do they rate them. See they have 1000mbps for 45e a month. Thanks.

19. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

never used Vodafone but am currently with sky and honestly can't fault it, if that's available I'm your area you should look in to it.

Timemachine likes this.
  20. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I've got the 1000mbps with Vodafone. Can't fault it. I've never had to contact support, and it's never gone down through a fault of their own, that wasn't fixable within minutes.
    In saying that, all the suppliers that use the fiber lines are using the same supply. So Virgin, Vodafone, Eir and Sky is all the one really, it's just who you're paying the money to each month.

Timemachine likes this.