This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Ruthless Summer

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by GaryMc, May 18, 2016.

1. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Suspicion seems to be your default mode on this topic Garrett. They have proved they will spend big already though and I imagine we'll be up with the biggest spenders again. I certainly hope so as we need to be. We also need to keep our best striker.

2. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Fair point about the wages mate. With regards the net spend, I was specifically referring to whats needed this summer tbh.

While ensuring I'm not being naive, perhaps I do appear more suspicious than others mate and if so, then thats the price I'm prepared to pay.

Spending "big" is all relative, their income at the club has risen massively as a result of sponsorship, new tv revenue etc. so they need to increase expenditure accordingly, not least because as you say yourself... we need it :)

Getting back to Sturridge, we get another scare with him now and yet a significant number of people still think we should hang on to him and forgo the opportunity to cash in on both himself and Benteke, to help fund a new top striker ?

3. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Would you not take the report on the FA's website at face value? It says Daniel Sturridge did not train due to 'minor knocks.'

4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

There's internet speculation that he's out for the Euro's, far easier for Garret to sell his point about selling Sturridge based on that than by accepting that it's only a few knocks.

5. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Scare???

If the club's medical team have evidence to hand that Sturridge is likely to play less than 50% of matches due to potential, I would sell for the right price.

If that evidence does not exist, it would insane to sell in my opinion the one world class player in the squad. He plays 30 league games next season, 20 league goals at least.

The club did well to get Carroll off the books, I know it was more about him not suiting the style of play, however his injury record was also very poor. Since he went to West Ham that trend has carried on every season.

6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Lionel,

Kindly go back and read what I posted... I said another "we get another scare". I'm sure you know what the word "scare" means, so please don't twist it's meaning.

Seriously ? ... kop on, will ya. Again, go back and read what I posted ... I said "scare", nothing more !

If we don't agree on something then no problem, but don't be making up sh1t....

Gary,
    You've hit the nail on the head with that final sentence, in relation to Carroll. He has continued to get regular injuries. Sturridge is also one of those players who unfortunitely just keeps getting injuries, thats why I'm for selling him as I've said on numerous occassions across various threads at this stage. He's a top player sure, but we need a top player for a full season, not part of one.

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It was in jest Garret, the lack of smileys' always gets me. I think everyone understands your points on Sturridge, the difference comes in how likely he is to get a decent spell on the pitch. In the last few months I'd say a lot of us have remembered how good he is when he's fit and it might be blinding our judgement somewhat but I really think he's our best player by quite a long way and it would be a bizarre move to sell him.

8. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough then, but as you can see above there was a couple of posts in quick succession all trying to take my comments in a particular direction, so without it being obvious that you were taking the pi$$, I didn't see it sorry.

9. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I was not trying to twist your words in the slightest and I perfectly understand what the word 'scare' means. I posted my reply to what you had written because of the word 'now' the word missing in your above clarification. The context I took out of your post is that you were thinking that there was a serious injury scare with Daniel Sturridge at the moment, and re-reading post again just now, I still get the same meaning out of it.

10. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Sturridge is our best player. It's annoying when he's not fit but at any point over the next few seasons if we could get him fit at the crucial stages of a title tilt (this year we had him fit for the crucial stages of a Europa league run) he could be the difference in us getting over the line.

The season is barely over and already we have signed a keeper and reportedly have an offer in for a left back. Knows what is required does Jurgen.

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

The word "now" was not intentionally ommitted... no issue there.

I never mentioned anything to do with whether or not the injury was legit or not, never mind how serious it might have been. I don't see how you might have ever read anything more into my post that I actually posted - which was that it was another "scare" (being a sudden fright etc.).

To then ask me
    implies that I might not accept the FA's report, which is an entirely different matter altogether, but in the context of our chain of posts can imply that I don't believe the FA's report.

12. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Now that we've seen the end of this summer's transfer window, I thought it might be interesting to bring this thread back to life and ask people:

Were you all happy with the cull at LFC this summer (particularly for those who posted on this thread a few months ago and reflecting on what they said then, versus what we got etc) ?

13. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Decided to get the ball rolling, by looking back at a few of my earlier posts....

• More players are gone out (either loan or sale) than I expected would actaully go, I suggested about 8, but it ended up being over a dozen.... none I was particularly upset to see go so no upset, but a few young players I thought we'd hang onto.
    • While I didnt get my desired "top" 4-5 players, we did only bring in 6 so perhaps in time, I'll discover that I have badly under estimated a couple of them and I did end up getting 4-5 top players...
    • No real surprise on the bit about my expectation of the owners spending.... but credit where it's due, we did reasonably well on player sales, even if we didn't sell all of the players I was prepared to cut lose.

While we've made good progress on shipping out some dead wood, I think there's a further cull needed next summer to ship out several more who are not good enough in my view...... disappointed with our signings (on an overall basis) and wanted to see us step up a bit more, but as I've acknowledged up above ... in a few months time, I might learn that I was wrong about the calibre of the six players we've brought in (with 4-5 of them proving to be particularly good players etc).

#93 Garrett, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  14. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I'm happy who we got rid of all needed to go wether it be for game time to further their career or simply because they were stealing a wage with us. I happy with Mane signing I dunno totally about the rest time will tell. I'm happy too we held onto Sahko it was mad to loan him out in the first place I hope klopp & him patch things up no doubt he's down the pecking order now maybe rightly so but best to be lookin at a CB rather than looking for 1 if injuries occur. I do feel he may be sold full stop in January though.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I would of liked to sign a LB,maybe a striker and I would of liked to keep Joe Allen, I'm glad Lucas stayed.I think Sakho has made a big mistake at this stage of his career.After how last season ended he needs to get back playing as soon as possible and I don't see that happening with us,we'll wait and see though.Overall the most important thing is Klopp got the insurance and outs done he wanted to so at this point it's been a very succesful window.

16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Happier with the outgoings than the new recruits. One simple question is did we improve the overall quality of the first team squad. For the players that we lost (and if reports are true that Sakho was told he would not play this season, you can count him out as well unless there is a big u-turn, even though he is still a Liverpool player) I'm really not sure. Matip and Mane look like very good additions but I don't know enough about Karius, Manniger will never play for us (or if he does it means we have a major goalkeeping injury crisis), Klavan doesn't look like an improvement on what we had thus far and Wijnaldum, I can't really understand why we bought him and where he fits in.

In the poll early in the summer about where we thought we would finish up in the league I voted 5th and I see nothing to suggest that top 4 is a realistic outcome for the season in the business we did. We need to outperform two of Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, as well as Leicester, West Ham, Southampton, Everton etc. I see the two manc clubs and Chelsea as very hot favourites leaving one spot for the other three. We have done well against the other two away from home and lost to a team who have 3 points on the board from 3 games. Same old inconsistencies will be maintained, we cannot depend on the front three none of whom are strikers to score goals consistently week in week out.

If you are in the relegation zone, if you haven't had a win in ten games, if no one else can help, maybe you can play, The Liverpool Team....

#96 Liverpool-law, Sep 1, 2016
  17. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

No fewer than 13 players left permanently this summer - equalling the biggest exodus in the club’s history. #LFC (James Pearce)

Garrett likes this.
  18. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Delighted with the outgoings , would have liked another top class CM LB and probably a Winger and Striker to make us really strong .

My trust now is in Klopp getting top 4 with the squad he has , it will be difficult but not mission impossible

Overall I'm happy with the window and think we will benefit long term but will take another few Windows .

Only negative is Klopp didn't get everyone he wanted ( LB and CM ) and postive IMO he didn't just buy for the sake of it and will work it out in the training pitch

And long term will only have players at the club that he wants ;)

#98 ROCCO, Sep 1, 2016
  19. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Insurance ?

20. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse